I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Caution 53
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caution 53  (Read 14806 times)
Vt Big Rig

« on: January 07, 2016, 05:29:31 AM »

I am sure most of you got the message from NxStage about the software glitch and the 53 caution. "Reset within 2 minutes." Working on a solution"

I was told the "solution" MIGHT be out by the end of the year. WHAT?

And  now I am getting it almost every treatment. And I tracked it .... I get it 2 hours and 3 minutes in, exactly. Is anyone else getting this or am I just a lucky one?

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
micron

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:33:44 AM »

Yeah, we got the notice and we also got a addendum to the manual for resolving the error but not a software fix. 

From my understanding, as long as you don't turn off the cycler after beginning prime you shouldn't trigger the alarm.  I haven't seen one occur yet.
I'd be happy to post the manual addendum tomorrow or tonight if you like. 
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:59:20 AM »

NO thanks .... I got the addenda also.

I never shut off the machine after starting prime and I have gotten 53 four out of last six treatments

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »

We have the System One S cycler. The Yellow Caution 53 alarm pertains to fluid temperature and if the temp of the dialysate fluid is too LOW/Cold, you will get the YC53 alarm. We got this a lot when we first started using the new "S" cycler (use to have the regular cycler) and it would occur about halfway thru treatments while using the last 30 liters of a 60 liter SAK. Thanks to member "obsidianom", we discovered that our Pureflow Heater Setting was set too low, altho the temp of our room was quite warm. Obsidianom brought up a good fact about the temperature of blood being higher than the average "room temperature". So, I bumped up our Pureflow heater setting from 13 to 14 or 16 and...no more YC53's. I would assume the same applies to the Express Warmer when using hanging bags. Also, make sure where you store your SAKS and bags and saline are fairly warm as I would think this may affect how slowly or quickly the fluid can be warmed up for use.

You can read my old post "NxStage System One S" (page 2 comments dated August 22, 2014). Hope this helps.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:32 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion Prime Timer

When we first started getting 53s we would raise the temperature of the heater, like the book says.  When we got the addenda for the book from NxStage I felt it was contradictory so I called them and asked specific questions. I was told, when I got a 53, to just silence the alarm and hit treatment to continue treatment. Unless I was cold.

I looked last night. My heater is already at 17!

To your second point we do keep the SAKs in the closet of the room and it is a little colder in there. But I make a batch the night before so it has close to 19 hours before we use it to warm up. With the heater going I would hope that would be enough.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I will try moving the SAKs.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »

Sounds like you are storing the SAK's in a suitable place and allowing plenty of time for them to be heated. Before you go through the trouble of moving them, maybe you can ask NxStage if there's a way to check the temp of the dialysate to make sure that the Pureflow heater really is working correctly. Am also wondering if the SAKs have anything to do with it (60L liter vs 40L) and if other people using 40L SAKs are getting the same alarm. Sorry this has become such a PITA for you. Don't give up, don't let a yellow caution alarm beatcha. It's the red ones that cause me the most anxiety.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:59:30 PM »

New news!!!!  Monday night I froze. My temperature dropped 2.5 degrees during treatment. I had on two blankets and a stocking cap. I emailed NxStage today asking for help. Turns out you cannot check temperature of dialysate but you CAN check how well heater is working. Push the down arrow. If it says "heating" press down again, and again until it says "temp reached". Mine was functioning at 3. Yes, only 3!!

Unplug and reinstall some cables. Check in a couple of hours. Now up to 6. I might actually be comfortable tomorrow.

Thank you tech support.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:56:15 PM »

New news!!!!  Monday night I froze. My temperature dropped 2.5 degrees during treatment. I had on two blankets and a stocking cap. I emailed NxStage today asking for help. Turns out you cannot check temperature of dialysate but you CAN check how well heater is working. Push the down arrow. If it says "heating" press down again, and again until it says "temp reached". Mine was functioning at 3. Yes, only 3!!

Unplug and reinstall some cables. Check in a couple of hours. Now up to 6. I might actually be comfortable tomorrow.

Thank you tech support.
BUMMMER! That's harsh! (only heated to a 3, yowza!!). I am sooo sorry that I knew about this function and didn't share it. It's in the Pureflow Manual under "Supplemental Procedures". I write down page and section numbers to important stuff on the first page just inside the manual so I don't have to go thumbing through the whole book each time.

Here's to warmer days ahead!  :wine;  And just to be safe, here's to working cables and good connections!  :wine;
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:59:00 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:22:15 AM »

Well, I spoke a little too soon. While the temp went up to 6 in three hours last night, this morning it was back down to 4. :(

SO I am guessing the heater is shot and the temp rise was due to the house just being warmer.

New unit on the way .... tomorrow.

Always something!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 12:12:55 PM »

Well, I spoke a little too soon. While the temp went up to 6 in three hours last night, this morning it was back down to 4. :(

SO I am guessing the heater is shot and the temp rise was due to the house just being warmer.

New unit on the way .... tomorrow.

Always something!!!

Do they have to replace the whole Pureflow unit (tub, chassis and control unit) or just the control unit (computer)? Geez...as if you haven't been thru enough! Hope they get the new one to you pronto. So sorry this is happening to you. You're there and willing and capable but...their machine isn't! Stay tough! Hopefully this will all become a blur and you'll look back on it and wonder what the fuss was about.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:14:19 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 05:10:31 AM »

They are sending just the chassis and tub.

And being sent by UPS, so I need to disassemble everything, disconnect everything and reconnect it all. Took out the PAK, control unit and all the connections on the back.

I have the physical and technical skills (I hope!). I t just cranks me that I have to reassemble their machine for them. But it is that or bags, I hate bags!!!! :banghead;

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »

Men what a hassle, I'm impressed with your skills though  :angel;

Love and luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »

They are sending just the chassis and tub.

And being sent by UPS, so I need to disassemble everything, disconnect everything and reconnect it all. Took out the PAK, control unit and all the connections on the back.

I have the physical and technical skills (I hope!). I t just cranks me that I have to reassemble their machine for them. But it is that or bags, I hate bags!!!! :banghead;
So obviously the heater problem seems to be built in to the tub and maybe sensors ?? in the chassis. Bummer you have to take it all apart. I once had to replace a control unit. Wasn't too difficult, just a pain and then had to prime a new PAK/SAK...ate up a lot of time. Wish I could lend a hand...we'll be thinking of ya. As my mother use to say, "if it weren't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all". Sometimes I swear I can still hear her say that and I just want to scream, "Oh shut up!".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:05:58 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 04:48:08 AM »

"Your new  machine will be delivered between 1 and 5 PM" ....... Yeah and the check is in the mail.

I sat at home waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Finally wife gets home about 3:30 and we decide to run with bags. (Have I said I hate bags) ...... AT 9:20 PM the door bell rings and the driver runs back to the truck. So now I have bandages on my arm and a huge box outside the door. Just what I want to deal with at that hour. Dear wife is paranoid about my fistula (rightly so with all the issues we have had with it) so she insists on "helping" with the box. Way too bulky and heavy for her so now we are both outside trying to wrestle this thing.

Dog decides this is a good time to go play in the snow. Now he is a good boy and usually comes when called but he is not out front often, usually out back. So we have all new smells, too good to investigate even though Dad is hollering to come in. And Dad is in comfy pants and a tee shirt so this must be great fun for him. Not to mention how bored he gets laying at my feet during treatment .... a time when we used to spend 30 to 45 minutes training. He is a retriever and he loves it. (All I have to say is "do you want to train" and he runs to the door or the truck)

Get the box inside. Now I am supposed to save this box to ship the old one back in. Of course it is packed like it was the crown jewels and tighter in the box than a miser's wallet. So how do we get this out without destroying the box.

So now I have two Pure Flow chassis, control units, PAKs, and a huge empty box (plus packing material) all over the room. The new chassis is so cold it is hard to handle.  Will have to reassemble today. Meanwhile it will be another night with bags. Have I said how much I hate bags.

You folks that use bags all the time have my admiration. If I had to hang those infernal things every night there would be many many treatment skipped.

The weekend has to be better. Right? Right?  Please.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 08:49:58 PM »

Ha! To think that I stressed over having to change out the darn sediment filter. Whew! That was nuttin'!  :stressed;

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »

I'm so sorry Vt Big Rig, now it's just hoping the problem(s) are gone.

Lots of luck and love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 05:30:12 AM »

Saturday morning I finally get the energy (motivation) to change out this box.

Moving everything around, no problem; sliding in the control unit ... no problem;  connecting, up the stuff in the back ...no problem. And then ....

Then the devil spawn, illegitimate, soul sucking, despicable, contemptible, loathsome, vile, wretched, (and any other nasty word I can think of) tiny little set screws that attach the control unit to the chassis. I'll bet I spent two hours trying to get these little blankety blanks to screw in. I moved the unit a little left, a little right, a little up, a little down and would have stood on my head if I thought it would help.

Call NxStage and ask first what is the secret here.  He was no help other than offering to send another chassis. No, I am not going through this again. Will it run without these I ask. Well, yes he says but you need to get them in or we will send another one. NO, send somebody to do it or forget it. They really should go in he says. NO $#%* Sherlock. Tell you what, I'll call you tomorrow and tell you I got them in .......

Meanwhile, it ran fine and I was warm for the first time in weeks during a dialysis run.

I still do not understand why I am fixing their machine!!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 06:15:32 AM »

:Kit n Stik;

So so sorry, but then You Were Warm   :cheer:

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »

Update ....

I never did get the little screws installed .....

NxStage called and checked..... again wanted to send a new one . I said fine but I was not installing it again..

They arranged for a tech to come over from the center to try and put the screws in.  He spent about two hours trying also. He got one in and still could not get the other.

Nice guy .... we both agreed to report that it was ALL FIXED.Works for me!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »

:thumbup;    :beer1;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Hootie

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »

I pull my control unit out by losing screws to put new pak in when necessary and sometimes its tough to get both back screws back in as alignment is tough. No issues if they are not in as long as floor is  level and you are not moving the bin, cycler and etc around.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »

Update ....

I never did get the little screws installed .....

NxStage called and checked..... again wanted to send a new one . I said fine but I was not installing it again..

They arranged for a tech to come over from the center to try and put the screws in.  He spent about two hours trying also. He got one in and still could not get the other.

Nice guy .... we both agreed to report that it was ALL FIXED.Works for me!!!
The thumbscrews on our last control unit never could be tightened but since they weren't exactly falling out, didn't seem to pose any problems. As for those J1 and J2 connectors on the back, a tech told me that if they don't go right in the first time then turn them around/upside down and try plugging them in that way. That worked. 

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 04:18:59 AM »

I pull my control unit out by losing screws to put new pak in when necessary and sometimes its tough to get both back screws back in as alignment is tough. No issues if they are not in as long as floor is  level and you are not moving the bin, cycler and etc around.

Sorry but this confuses me .... We do not need to remove any screws to change the PAK???? I was talking about the ones under the control panel and above the tub.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Hootie

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »

Let me clarify. In replacing the PAK, if you take the screws out and pull control unit out  it is easier to get to the plug hold to put the clip that is at an odd angle. When I did that the first time, I had trouble putting the screws back in. Its not necessary to take screws off, I just found it easier.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

Let me clarify. In replacing the PAK, if you take the screws out and pull control unit out  it is easier to get to the plug hold to put the clip that is at an odd angle. When I did that the first time, I had trouble putting the screws back in. Its not necessary to take screws off, I just found it easier.

I understand now.... during training our nurse had a terrible time get that wire connected. My wife has only gotten it once. I have, luckily, been able to get it every time pretty quickly. I hope that continues........

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »