I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Liquorice and Potassium Levels in Dialysis Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Liquorice and Potassium Levels in Dialysis Patients  (Read 5981 times)
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« on: January 08, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »

I find this really interesting. I've not heard of this anywhere. I only discovered it by trying to google how much potassium there is in liquorice.

Anybody using this?

"Recent studies have shown that licorice contains an active compound called glycyrrhetinic acid (GA), that actually helps lower the serum potassium levels in anuremic (no longer producing urine) dialysis patients."

More: http://www.therenalunit.com/can-liquorice-lower-potassium-levels-in-dialysis-patients/

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:35:29 PM »

Very interesting.  I've always avoided licorice because I hate the taste, but i always justified avoiding it because it is known to raise blood pressure.  That's help I don't need.  I do here that there is a drug in the offing called patiromer (sp?) that acts like Renvela et al (sevelemer).  I'd always rather find a natural way of doing something than a drug, but not all natural things are safe for everyone.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »

I find this really interesting. I've not heard of this anywhere. I only discovered it by trying to google how much potassium there is in liquorice.

Anybody using this?

"Recent studies have shown that licorice contains an active compound called glycyrrhetinic acid (GA), that actually helps lower the serum potassium levels in anuremic (no longer producing urine) dialysis patients."

More: http://www.therenalunit.com/can-liquorice-lower-potassium-levels-in-dialysis-patients/
Much of what is sold as licorice candy, is not the real  stuff.  Buying and using the herb is another story.
Regardless, one must watch and test both electrolytes for depletion, Sodium and Potassium, as they can both be affected by the herb.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:40:14 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »

Much of what is sold as licorice candy, is not then real  stuff.  Buying and using the herb is another story.
Regardless, one must watch and test both electrolytes for depletion, Sodium and Potassium, as they can both be affected by the herb.

You're right Talker. I'm just surprised at how small the trials were and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any new trials. If this is something that can improve the life of dialysis patients, surely more wide ranging trials are appropriate?

If this can be distilled down into tablet form, to be used by patients whose diets are consistently moving them into the danger range (K+ >5.5), but have good sodium levels, there's a benefit to everybody, no?

The current method we have to try to get patient's K+ down sucks (Resonium), and only works well if taken BEFORE the food is digested, as it binds the K+ in the stomach much the same as phosphate binders, but doesn't remove it well from the blood. Plus Resonium is horrible and gritty and adds to your fluid intake.

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »

Daughter hates the black jelly beans, loves all the other flavors.  Whenever she goes on a binge she bags up the blacks and gives them to me.  I like them but only have a couple, that 'moderation' thing.  I have learned that  two or three will calm an upset stomach.  Not only mine but I've given them to G'sons whenever they were nauseated, worked  fine.

I would like to know more about possibly using them to reduce phosphorous.  There may be something to this that could be quite helpful to those that tolerate the taste.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »

In the Netherlands we eat a lot of licorice, including the real stuff from health food shops etc. So I'm always well stocked up on that real stuff.  When my bp was low after D or whenever, I used to take some. Never raised my K+ but did nothing for my BP either.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »

Other than the candies, I woldn't have the slightest idea what other forms it is found and how it could be used. 

Yeh, I'm a guy, what do I know.  Not a lot according to my Wife!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »