I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Things You've Done When You Can't Sleep
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things You've Done When You Can't Sleep  (Read 3632 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: January 04, 2016, 02:15:48 AM »

Don't know what inspired me to do it at 3am but I finally made my husband a fabric chair caddy for his recliner aka treatment chair. Since I don't sew, I made it entirely by hand using a fabric table napkin and heavy duty sticky fabric velcro. Now he has a "pocket" to hold the tv remote, tissue and a small book. Or to hide candy. If I add another pocket, he could store his BP monitor in it. Of course the ones at the store are much better quality and look better but what the heck, I like to create things from odds and ends when I can, just normally not in the middle of the nite but it sure beat tossing and turning in bed. Can't wait to surprise hubby in the morning!

So, what kinds of things have you done when sleep escapes YOU??

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:26:10 AM »

Currently whenever It happens, mostly on the night before Dialysis,  I use my iPad to read, surf the web, play games, read my emails.  The weirdest thing I ever did was at 2:00 AM I drove from northern Jersey to Atlantic City went to a buffet then drove to work and spent the day.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:29:35 AM »

Right now I'm trying to figure out how this computer works,
 how to open my email ..........my address is wrong. ..hello....                                                                                             listening to the quiet.(little "ships" are gone ;/ )
play my classical acoustic guitar know eleven chored . you are my sunshine , fighting solders(green Beria) Mikael  row your boat ashore, to name a few., draw with oil pencils on black poster board, watch a movie, sometimes I go down to river.... watch it.

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »

I get up, sit in the recliner in the living room and throw rag toys for the dog to retrieve. He loves it. Throws his schedule off but what the heck ...he sleeps all day anyway.

Only problem is when I try to really work him and toss long retrieve for him outside, if he cant see where it lands (in cover) he starts looking about as far as I can toss in the house. Oh well. A lesson in how to screw up a good duck dog.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »

I am sleeping MUCH better since starting D--that's about the only improvement of symptoms I  notice (I had no symptoms before beginning so it's hard to say how wonderful D makes me feel now). But my sleep has really improved.  But when I do have trouble, I reach for my laptop and read and surf.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »

Most often I grab whatever book I am reading, or my laptop.  I read a LOT on-line also.  It doesn't take too long before I notice I am 'micro-sleeping'.  Sort of a haf or mini nod and I realize that I've been re-reading the same sentence, or paragraph for quite a while but have instantly forgot it because I'm about 3/4 asleep.

Then it's time to put down the book/laptop and get comfy horizontal, and I'm gone.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 01:40:43 AM »

Whilst I was still battling with pre-dialysis-ESRF, sleep did not come easy ... and not being able to sleep can be very distressing...
... The best answer I could come up with was to approach the problem with a "step-by-step" how to learn crochet for beginners...
and then I quickly specialized in some interesting “antique” 17th 18th century patterns and created some fascinating crochet-curtains...
... One of my best results of that time is our four-poster-bath with dreamy crochet-curtains all around the bath,
giving it a very romantic 18th century-atmosphere in which to enjoy a relaxing bath...
I am still pleased with the results, because normally I would not even think of "doing" any crochet,
but under the circumstances it was the best idea I could have had, because the monotonous counting of the pattern
is extremely relaxing and results in eventual sleepiness ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:10:59 AM »

P.S. I've just realized that I should not have mentioned "d" here,
but sleeping did not come easy was whilst being "pre-d",
so I do hope it is alright to have mentioned it ...
Thanks from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »

Maybe your crocheting could also spell relief from the endless tedium of in-center D?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 03:12:52 AM »

Maybe your crocheting could also spell relief from the endless tedium of in-center D?

... Perhaps not ... I just "did it" as a practical "thing to do" during the time when sleep did not come easy...
...  and it also worked extremely well as a rehabilitation-aid to re-learn the use of both of my hands etc. after the stroke...
...  Right now, during my d-sessions, I enjoy (as much as one can) to choose and read most interesting books ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »