I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Anyone tried Spirulina as low phosphate protein source?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone tried Spirulina as low phosphate protein source?  (Read 5059 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: April 15, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »

it's a blue-green algae that comes as a powder or in caps.  According to Nutrition Data, 1 tablespoon has 4 grams of protein and only 8.3 mg. phosph. Probably not a taste treat, but it's very nutritious. A lot of people add it to smoothies, but I'm not a fan of pale green smoothies.  I would probably just add it to water and chug it down.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2765/2

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:04:15 AM »

I didn't read much of the link, but I did notice the page had a lot of information on seaweed.

Puget Sound used to have copious amounts of seaweed readily available at every low tide.   The immigration of so many Asian people has literally stripped the seaweed out of the Sound.   Since then laws have been passed limiting how much can be picked and possessed, now managed as tightly as game animals.

I've never eaten seaweed that I can remember, but am told that it was almost a staple in some Asian diets.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:38:12 PM »

Technically, this is algae and not seaweed.  But who's quibbling?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »

ive actually asked a dietician, and she had no idea what it was lol sorry I couldnt be of any help.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:21:30 AM »

I don't remember which one, but one of the large whales eats Plankton, which IIRC is sorta like the building blocks for algae?  Or they are cousins. lol   But the whale does NOT eat seaweed.   Much like me, no teeth.

If it was prepared I may eat it not knowing what it was.

But if I caught you scrapping the inside of the fish tank collecting it..................................   Nope!

Hey,  I'm a Guy, remember?   What do I know about plants and stuff that doesn't have fur?
hatedialysis2

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 05:53:45 AM »

I tried many years ago for health benefits but could not tolerate the taste. 

Below are possible side effects :

"
Spirolna Possible Side Effects

It’s absolutely critical to make sure that the quality and purity of the spirulina that you consume is of the highest standards. Particularly, like anything that comes from the sea, be certain to only purchase blue-green algae that is free from contamination. According to WebMD, contaminated spirulina can cause the following:

Liver damage
Stomach pain
Nausea
Vomiting
Weakness
Thirst
Rapid heartbeat
Shock, and even death
Also, some sources suggest that pregnant women and children should not consume algae. Contact your natural health care provider to confirm whether or not you should be supplementing with SpirolnaSpirulina"

Source. http://draxe.com/spirulina-benefits/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »