I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Does anyone have Hemachromatosis with CKD?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have Hemachromatosis with CKD?  (Read 2695 times)
Athena

« on: December 16, 2015, 04:57:17 AM »

After developing high iron and high transferrin saturation levels all of this year, I am about to go through genetic testing for possible Hemachromatosis, which is a genetic condition where the body absorbs and accumulates too much iron. This all started after I had an endometrial ablation earlier in the year. Of course having CKD means that one is predisposed (or eventually will develop) iron deficiency anemia - which I've had in the past (but which may have been caused by the former excess bleeding issues not the CKD).

It's become a very confusing medical picture right now. My Neph has ordered me to stop the Aranesp as my Hg has risen to 13. My serum ferritin levels are still normal. Does anyone with kidney issues also have Hemachromatosis or know anyone who does? To me it sounds like two highly contradictory conditions - the CKD may eventually treat the hemachromatosis? My Neph is rather surprised by this new development.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »