I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Low HEMOGLOBIN
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low HEMOGLOBIN  (Read 15344 times)
Bungarian

« on: December 12, 2015, 07:04:05 PM »

On the 10th it was 10.0 and they took labs Thursday and it was 8.5

I accessed my lab results on the Davita website and have not talked to anyone at my clinic about it. What would cause it to fall? Is it too low?

I feel fine and would not know without the labs.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »

From what I understand hemoglobin levels are maintained by drugs given during dialysis.  The doctor will up the dosages and it will go back up.
Hootie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »

Our nephrologist uses epo to manage the hemoglobin. She changes dosage based on hemoglobin levels. We administer at home at start of dialysis once a week. Dosage varies over time based on hemoglobin labs. The EPO stimulates the bone marrow to make blood. Normal kidney function does that except in CKD patients.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »

We administer at home at start of dialysis once a week.

Interesting ... We were told to administer at then end of dialysis at the end of the week.

Also at home

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Bungarian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »

I take epo and iron at my clinic. I guess they need to up the dosage.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »

We administer at home at start of dialysis once a week.

Interesting ... We were told to administer at then end of dialysis at the end of the week.

Also at home

We too were told to do the EPO after treatment. My husband will be starting on Micera tho before the end of the month. Has to go to the clinic for that. Darn.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »

I take epo and iron at my clinic. I guess they need to up the dosage.

They will need to give you more EPO first tho before they can do the iron. The EPO will produce blood cells that are needed for iron to latch on to. 
You can read up on it here: "Kidney Disease And Anemia: Why Is It So, And How Is It Treated?" by Dr. John Agar dated 10-29-15.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:33 AM »

We too were told to do the EPO after treatment. My husband will be starting on Micera tho before the end of the month. Has to go to the clinic for that. Darn.

If they follow the same procedure they will iron load your hubby before the micera. I was given the first micera shot last clinic. NEVER AGAIN. The same night I developed spasmodic headaches  :Kit n Stik; that would come every 15 to 30 seconds. Hurt like HE double toothpicks. They were bad enough to make me cringe every time. Lasted two or three days. I am back on EPO.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »

If they follow the same procedure they will iron load your hubby before the micera. I was given the first micera shot last clinic. NEVER AGAIN. The same night I developed spasmodic headaches  :Kit n Stik; that would come every 15 to 30 seconds. Hurt like HE double toothpicks. They were bad enough to make me cringe every time. Lasted two or three days. I am back on EPO.

That's what I fear. My husband is the quiet type, not one to ever complain so I told him to please, PLEASE speak up if he experiences any side effects.

Question: When you went back on EPO, were you able to get it from your clinic or do they write you a prescription for it? The clinic gives my husband EPO to inject at home but say they won't be carrying it anymore now that they are switching to Micera so, I was wondering if he has to go back on EPO if that means they will have to write him a prescription for it to be filled at a pharmacy.

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »

So far the clinic has gone back to ordering my EPO. I have clinic this week so we shall see if it changes.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Bungarian

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

I saw the nutritionist today. She said they would increase my epo. She also said to eat more red meat and put me o something called Renavit.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

I saw the nutritionist today. She said they would increase my epo. She also said to eat more red meat and put me o something called Renavit.

When my husband's Hemoglobin was down to a 6 (long story) they increased his EPO injections from 1x a week to 2-3x a week for a month. That did the trick.

Sorry, should have added the fact that he got a blood transfusion AND THEN they increased his EPO.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:12:25 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »

Mine dropped once, back in 2005.  It was at 7.7, if I remember right.  I was on PD at the time, and getting Aranesp every 2 weeks.  They did all kinds of tests, looking for the reason for the drop, but never found anything.  What they did for me was, first, a blood transfusion, then had to have Venofer once a week for 6 weeks, and that seemed to do the trick.

Now, my hemoglobin is high enough, I think the last one I saw was 12.5, that I don't need Arenesp anymore, and I had such nasty blood pressure issues while on Feralicit, that I was taken off that too.  I take Feramax now to keep my iron stores up, but that's it.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Bungarian

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

Latest test show it is up to 10.0
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 10:03:32 PM »

Latest test show it is up to 10.0
That's great! How many people can say they REALLY ARE a "10"! lol  And just in time for the holidays and the start of a (hopefully good) new year! Yay Hemoglobin!

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »

I was down to 6.2 after my transplant (hip, not kidney).    I was told this was the result of the surgery, and my refusal to accept transfusions (which my MDs supported).    I was exiled back to the clinic until it hit 8.5.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 06:15:47 AM »

Nurse tells me my numbers but my brain is a lot like a seive, it fails to hold much.

I am on a daily iron supplement in attempt to keep my iron within range.  Many times it has dropped as low as 10%.  Nurse gets exciited and bothers Dr until he order Iron IV. Sometimes up to 4 rounds, once a week, and I feel a lot better.

Red count is linked to iron, starts falling off once I get under about 15%.  No Epo yet.

Nurse was telling me something about the NEW medicare drug changes, that Epo may no longer be covered without exception, that most all will be switched to (?) Aracept.  Not sure of the name as I haven't had any, yet.

Ask about your iron levels, does it need attention?  A addition to your diet of iron rich food/source?

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »

Nurse was telling me something about the NEW medicare drug changes, that Epo may no longer be covered without exception, that most all will be switched to (?) Aracept.  Not sure of the name as I haven't had any, yet.
Fresenius has been switching patients to Micera (PEGged EPO)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »

Aranesp is similar to Epo, but it works slower over a longer period of time.. so you generally only need it once or twice a month, where with Epo it was once a week at least... it was also given to us on the machine, so no extra sticks, which I liked.. when I was on it anyway.. I don't need it anymore.. Arenesp also needs iron to work, so if you get IV iron, you'll probably get it the same day

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »

They will need to give you more EPO first tho before they can do the iron. The EPO will produce blood cells that are needed for iron to latch on to. 
You can read up on it here: "Kidney Disease And Anemia: Why Is It So, And How Is It Treated?" by Dr. John Agar dated 10-29-15.

This is wrong information.  You might have misread Dr. Agar's article.   If ones iron levels are too low, then EPO or any other ESA (erythropoiesis-stimulating agents)  alone won't help with esrd related anemia.  EPO needs iron to replenish red blood cells.   I don't like to reinvent the wheel.  So, while I couldn't find the article you referred to by using google search, I did find this info from the Kidney School on Anemia and Kidney Disease - http://www.kidneyschool.org/pdfs/KSModule6.pdf

On page 6-5: Anemia and Iron - "There is another key player in the anemia story besides EPO: iron.  Iron is the key building block for making red blood cells. Without enough iron, EPO will still signal the bone marrow, but few blood cells will be made. "

and this on anemia management from Davita's web site: "If a patient’s hemoglobin does not go up after beginning treatment with an erythropoiesis-stimulating agent, the doctor will recheck iron. Even though there is now a higher level of erythropoietin in the body, there needs to be enough iron for red blood cell production to occur. Vitamin B-12 and folic acid levels must also be in a normal range for healthy red blood cell production to occur." -  http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease/overview/treatment-overview/anemia-management-and-chronic-kidney-disease/e/4840

Hope this helps. -  PatDownsII
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:07:10 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »

Sorry to be a bit late in responding to your post.  Not getting enough iron either through your diet and/or with supplementation (including IV) and not getting enough EPO are the two most common reasons why hemoglobin stays low in esrd patients.  However, please look into the following:

* Have you been experiencing abnormal blood loss during dialysis?

* Has food become a turnoff to you?  Have you been drinking more fluids or eating more high fluid content veggies/fruits in your diet?  Losing real weight and replacing with fluid build up can keep Hgb low even with taking an ESA (erythropoiesis stimulating agent like EPO).  Fluid overload dilutes Hgb.

* Malnutrition - what is your serum albumin level?  Best to keep it 4.0-4.3 range

* Do you have inflammatory problems - arthritis, lupus, or inflammatory bowel disease? 

* Internal bleeding - not uncommon if you have polycystic disease.

Some things to discuss with your nephrologist and dietitian if you feel there is any validity with your situation. 

BTW, Renavit is a vitamin B-12 and Folic acid supplement.  Both help in the production of red blood cells.  However, since they are water soluble, we loose them during dialysis treatment.  Not uncommon at all for patients to be taking this or some other renal vitamin.  I take Dialyvite with Zinc and Folic acid with DHA.

Hope this helps and that your well-being improves. - PatDownsII

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:49:18 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »

This is wrong information.  You might have misread Dr. Agar's article.   If ones iron levels are too low, then EPO or any other ESA (erythropoiesis-stimulating agents)  alone won't help with esrd related anemia.  EPO needs iron to replenish red blood cells.   I don't like to reinvent the wheel.  So, while I couldn't find the article you referred to by using google search, I did find this info from the Kidney School on Anemia and Kidney Disease - http://www.kidneyschool.org/pdfs/KSModule6.pdf

On page 6-5: Anemia and Iron - "There is another key player in the anemia story besides EPO: iron.  Iron is the key building block for making red blood cells. Without enough iron, EPO will still signal the bone marrow, but few blood cells will be made. "

and this on anemia management from Davita's web site: "If a patient’s hemoglobin does not go up after beginning treatment with an erythropoiesis-stimulating agent, the doctor will recheck iron. Even though there is now a higher level of erythropoietin in the body, there needs to be enough iron for red blood cell production to occur. Vitamin B-12 and folic acid levels must also be in a normal range for healthy red blood cell production to occur." -  http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease/overview/treatment-overview/anemia-management-and-chronic-kidney-disease/e/4840

Hope this helps. -  PatDownsII
Thanks so much for correcting me, PatDownsII and for the info! Gee, just when I thought I had learned something...
My husband's clinic would not give him iron until his Hemoglobin was back up to at least 9.5. Meanwhile, they had increased his EPO. Sorry if I misunderstood Dr. Agar's blog post.

I hope I can correctly link Dr. Agar's article (see below). If not, it can be read at "Home Dialysis Central" under the News/Research section and from there, the KidneyViews Blog. His article is titled "Kidney Disease And Anemia: Why Is It So And How Is It Treated?" dated Oct. 29, 2015.

http://www.homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/124-kidney-disease-and-anemia-why-is-it-so-and-how-is-it-treated

Fabkiwi06

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »

When I first went to the ER and was diagnosed with kidney failure, my hemoglobin was at a 2.9. Needless to say, one of the biggest concerns was getting my iron back up. My nephrologist got me a advance sample of auxia - which is a binder with iron added. Didn't work great for my phosphorus personally, but it did get my iron up in conjunction with everything else. I'm at a 12.1 now  :clap;

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »

When I first went to the ER and was diagnosed with kidney failure, my hemoglobin was at a 2.9. Needless to say, one of the biggest concerns was getting my iron back up. My nephrologist got me a advance sample of auxia - which is a binder with iron added. Didn't work great for my phosphorus personally, but it did get my iron up in conjunction with everything else. I'm at a 12.1 now  :clap;

Glad your Hemoglobin level is back up. My husband doesn't feel "good" until his is at least at 11 or higher. He's still under 10...darn Micera seems to be very slow compared to EPO. Maybe we'll have to look into the "auxia" you wrote about. Thanks.  :thumbup;

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 04:33:50 AM »

I recently switched binders to auryxia because the calcium acetate  I was taking was causing my calcium to creep up each month.

My iron stats have increased a bunch. Because of a bad reaction to micera I am still taking EPO ...... but right now my HGb is high enough they told me to put it on hold.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started on new fistula .
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »