I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 07:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I hate dialysis because...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hate dialysis because...  (Read 8533 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: November 27, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »

My social life revolves around dialysis now.   I need to get out more often....

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »

because.. I can't drink a gallon of milk...

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »

My social life revolves around dialysis now.   I need to get out more often....

Oh no!!!!.... Please don't go out more.... The world can't handle you being out and about more!!!!!.....

I hate dialysis because my late mum used to growl about it... Frequently!!!!!..... LOL!...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »

Darthvadar: The only reason you mother growled wasn't about dialysis. She was growling at you!     :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Rerun I totally agree.  I want a gallon of Diet Dr. Pepper.

I hate dialysis because it ruins a good night's sleep.  I am nocturnal in clinic.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »

Probably Kitz.,... But she had to keep me sweet.... She needed me to do her D.... LOL!......

Mind you, a certain dragon from California probably contributed too!...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »

Here you go.

lifenotonthelist.com

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 05:02:11 PM »

Not at all like you, Kits....

That dragon's FAR better looking than you are!!!!.....  :rofl;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »

Well there is another reason I hate dialysis.....

It gives me brain fade.

lifenotonthelist.com

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »

Well there is another reason I hate dialysis.....

It gives me brain fade.

Fade I can FULLY associate.... But erm, Kitz, and brain?????....  :rofl;

As you can see, Folks, Katherine and I love each other really!!!!!.... We take insults as compliments!!!!....

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »

Well, I know I had one once before dialysis wiped it out!

lifenotonthelist.com

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:20:21 PM »

Same here since I started taking steroids....

Known to my late mum and I as 'Having a Deltacortril Day'.....

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »

sometimes that last hour on the machine is the longest hour of my life!

lifenotonthelist.com

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »

what I hate is feeling like that Greek Titan whose name I can't spell Sisyphus (I put in sissypuss and spell check spelled it) like rolled the rock to the top of the hill each day and had to start over the next day.  It is the unending prospect of three days a week attached to the machine without a break.  I have maintained my sanity by dealing one week at a time. Celebrating every Friday the extra day off.  Don't get me wrong I throughly enjoy my life but 4 and a quarter hours of sheer boredom attached to that system is a tad too much.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 04:13:50 PM »

7 times 3 is 21 hours of chair time.  I totally get what you mean.  The last hour takes forever and if I am awake all night is seems to take forever!

lifenotonthelist.com

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »

You all put me to shame.

Very little social life, and NO night liife unless you want to count petting the Dog and Cat.

Connecting to my PD Cycler @ 7 every evening it's not likely that I'm gonna take my Harley out, stop by the local bar for a few too many, and come hoome in the wee hours.   That's history.

I have begun reading a whole lot more than ever before.  Also have a laptop sharing space on the table with the Cycler.  I don't care for that keyboard near as much as using this one on the first of my Optiplex's (3).

Hhighlites of my evening/night is the Cycler alarm signalling low flow.  Waking me up so I can turn off my back onto my left side.  Right won't flow well either.  But since I'm awake now, and the Cycler finally got to 'Dwell" I'll disconnect, cap off, and shuffle out to the garage for a cigarette.  I haven't smoked inside the house in well over 20 years.  Allie Cat always goes with me and has her preferred position next to where I stand so she's just at the right height for me to pet her while I out there.  Once done she follows me back to bed, watches me reconnect and get in bed.  Then she curls up behind my knee til it repeats again in about 2 hours.  I rarely sleep three hours at a time.

Still, I should consider myself blessed that I am doing well on PD.  My paranoia of even little needles might make me skip hemo treatments.  I know I wouldn't do near as well as most of you are doing.

You are a tough breed.

Stay strong, and Take Care,

Charlie B
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »

of the side effects.  I now have stomach issues. I have had major intestinal trouble due to low BP.  Migraines.  Deafness in my left ear.  Numb fingers on the right hand.

lifenotonthelist.com

iketchum

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »

I hate dialysis for the misery and suffering we all go through. The cramps and passing out from too much being taken off. I dislike the weakness that takes over your body so that my poor wife has to do the manly chores around the house. On the other hand I am grateful to dialysis for allowing me to meet some very special people here and at the center, people I cant imagine not living without now. I have met only a few of you here, but please know I follow all your posts and feel for all of you. Getting a kidney is better than dialysis, but I still dont have the big S on my chest anymore.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 05:02:54 AM »

I hate dialysis because of the complete take over of my life, I hate the time I have to sit in that chair watching my wife try to get everything around the house done. I hate that I cannot work like I used to. I hate that I cannot use my arms like I used to (fistulas in both). I hate that I think about hiring people to do what I used to be able to do because I do not have the stamina. I hate that taking a trip is a major planning event. I hate that wife cannot "go away" for a trip to her sisters. I hate that I can't go to hunting camp for a week (no electric). I hate having to manage the anemia, the phosphorus, the calcium, etc

Having said all that... I love that I still feel 110% better than the 18 months before I began dialysis and more importantly ..... it keeps me alive. Most people I know would say that is  good thing.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 06:52:13 AM »

There is one guy who took a raft trip down the Colarado river with his next stage.  The outfitter provided a generator and every night he ran his next stage and did his dialysis.  So with a generator hunting camp is possible. It's got to be easier then camping in the Grand Canyon.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »

There is one guy who took a raft trip down the Colarado river with his next stage.  The outfitter provided a generator and every night he ran his next stage and did his dialysis.  So with a generator hunting camp is possible. It's got to be easier then camping in the Grand Canyon.

See Bill Peckham:
http://www.billpeckham.com

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »

Thanks Zach, when I first joined I read that tale it's then I realized what special people there are in the dialysis world, after reading about that adventure I stopped worrying about the limits imposed by dialysis.  I am going to keep the reference for if and when I tell somebody about this.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »

I don't hate my dialysis-treatments because they assist me to keep alive  ...
... Of course, life would be better - and certainly less risky -  if I would not need any dialysis-treatments,
but since I am in kidney failure, I am grateful, that dialysis-treatments exist as an option for me to try and continue ...
... And these days dialysis-treatments have become much more patient-friendly in comparison to dialysis-treatments many years ago...
... I know this, because since my kidneys first failed in 1971 and recovered a little until I needed dialysis-treatment in December 2014,
I have met - over the years - many ESRF-patients and their dialysis treatment-options were then not as varied as they are now ...
... I am also grateful that my vegetarian diet and my dialysis treatments are reasonable compatible
and hopefully it continues like that (touch wood !!! )  ...
I also hope that ESRF research continues to find many more ESRF-treatment-options in the future...
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:25:54 PM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »

it sometimes creates more problems than it solves.

lifenotonthelist.com

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 03:09:29 AM »

it sometimes creates more problems than it solves.

... It is true that dialysis sometimes creates more problems than it (medically) solves
... it is also true that dialysis-users need to try and find their own way to adjust to the new medical situation...
... I had a very "serious talk" with myself when I realized that I could no longer avoid dialysis-treatment
and then I researched the best possible way for me how to approach my new medical situation...
... The most important point for me was to accept my new medical situation and this acceptance eventually
"waved the way" for my adjusting to dialysis and try to make the very best of it ...
Best of luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jeaukool

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 04:33:29 AM »

I am 8.3 kilos over my dry weight!!! Now I have to come in three days straight to get the extra fluid off. When am I going to learn my lesson....it's bad enough I have to watch what I drink but now I have to watch what I eat too!! I HATE THIS!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »