I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Love BP Frustrations
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love BP Frustrations  (Read 2757 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« on: November 25, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »

Those who have me on facebook have an idea of what's going on, but I'll do my best to give the whole story.

For the last year or so, I've been battling low bp issues.  It all started a few years ago, actually, after some menstrual issues and having my gallbladder out.  I developed pulmonary hypertension due to low hemoglobin and excess fluid.  It took over a year for me to get back to normal.  In that time, my bp began to drop.  We've tried so many different things, from UF profiles, to sodium changes and dry weight changes.. nothing makes a difference.  Though my bp shows low readings, I have no symptoms.  In the last few weeks, the nurses have been doing some small experimenting, and the now believe that the pulse in my arm is just too weak for the bp cuff to read.  We had tried putting the cuff on my leg.  Even though leg bp's are not as accurate as arm bp's, at least the leg bp's show when my bp is actually dropping, where the arm bp does not.  We have had no luck in convincing the doctor that this way would be better.

My problem with continuing with what we are doing is that, because my bp readings drop, the nurses must react to them, by putting me in minimum UF or dropping my goal.  Both these things help the bp go up, but not for me.  This also means that I'm keeping excess fluid that should be taken off.  I do my best to not take in anything extra, but I still think I'm holding fluid, and I feel it in my abdomen.  I'm worried that I'm going to be stricken with pulmonary hypertension again.  It was not fun the first time, and I certainly don't want to do it again.  I can't seem to get this through to the doctors.  When I tried to explain the bp cuff thing to one of them today, he tried to tell me that if the cuff wasn't able to read me, it would read a zero.  That isn't true.  When the machine can't read, it just doesn't give a reading, and it does that all the time with me.

I've been trying to get a meeting with the entire team, and I've been doing this for a couple of months now, but with the holidays coming on, I doubt we'll get everyone's schedules to jive.  I'm more than frustrated, and I'm not sure what to do.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »

Time to write a letter to the FA, nurse, doctor and whomever you want at your meeting.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:34:29 AM »

The social worker was supposed to be setting it up, but I haven't seen her in ages

What's an FA?

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 06:07:45 AM »

Hi Riki I'd do what Kitkatz and Noah advise. If you have no symptoms and know what your bp is by your leg, why don't you change the UF yourself?

Good luck, and love, Cas

Nb (nice you're back Noahvale)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »

why don't you change the UF yourself?

I don't know how to work the machines.. that's what the nurses are for

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »

Noahvale is banned for deleting his posts. Please do not reply to him or encourage him in any way to continue to post here.
I have split his post off of this thread and put it into the admin area

kitkatz-Admin

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »

An FA is a Facilities Administrator.  Every center has one.

lifenotonthelist.com

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »

An FA is a Facilities Administrator.  Every center has one.

I'm not sure if ours does, and if we do, it's a government bureaucrat who has no medical background whatsoever..

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »