I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:21:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Organ awareness ride?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organ awareness ride?  (Read 19526 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 08:29:13 PM »

*waving $$$*  Then come on..... let's see ya rrrrrrrrrride ;)  ;) 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »

O.K. guys the date has been set....Saturday August 18th 10:00 am sharp....if anyone can come to the MN ride I'll give directions hope this gets some news coverage I have been begging  :bow; :bow; this will start small but maybe could turn into something huge, look at the Susan B Koman breast cancer walk started out small now look at it now!!!!

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »

O.K. guys the date has been set....Saturday August 18th 10:00 am sharp....if anyone can come to the MN ride I'll give directions hope this gets some news coverage I have been begging  :bow; :bow; this will start small but maybe could turn into something huge, look at the Susan B Koman breast cancer walk started out small now look at it now!!!!

I'll try to make that.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »

There have been organ donatioin awareness campaigns for decades, and yet the rate of organ donation has remained constant, even though the need for donated organs is increasing.  I surveyed the nurses at my dialysis center, all of whom, I assume, are aware of the need for kidney donation, and I found that the majority had not signed their donor cards.  The most common reason they gave me for not doing so?  They "had never thought of it"!!  If dialysis nurses never think of it, what good will it do if the average citizen sees an organ donation poster at a parade?  The problem is not awareness, but the simple fact that people do not care about other people.

Government policies when it comes to organ transplants are also nothing short of insane.  Why is it against the law for me to burn leaves on my lawn in the fall because this will harm my neighbors by polluting the air, but perfectly legal for me to have my organs buried in the cemetery to feed the worms when I die rather than being used to save human lives?
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »

Just got off the phone with NKF and they are sending me info to hand out to people who turn out for this ride, they said they are going to look into putting it on there site(no promises) but they will try!!! Sluff i really hope you can make it!!!

George Jung

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »

There have been organ donatioin awareness campaigns for decades, and yet the rate of organ donation has remained constant, even though the need for donated organs is increasing.

What do you think the trend would be if nobody participated in organ donor awareness?

The problem is not awareness, but the simple fact that people do not care about other people.

Not unless there is something in it for them.  We should allow some compensation/credit for donors.

Government policies when it comes to organ transplants are also nothing short of insane. Why is it against the law for me to burn leaves on my lawn in the fall because this will harm my neighbors by polluting the air, but perfectly legal for me to have my organs buried in the cemetery to feed the worms when I die rather than being used to save human lives?

Because the government is quick to say what one can not do and not so fast to say what one has to do.  It seems to me, although we have to wear seatbelts (in the U.S.) and pay taxes and such, there are many more things we "can't" do then there are things we "must" do.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »

Amy,
Do you have more info, or perhaps a flyer? I am happy to help promote your ride - just let me know the details.
Thanks,
Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 04:17:29 AM »

Me and Christy will be there. I need more information too. Where are we meeting? I will be headed your direction on Friday night and staying in a motel on the Wisconsin side near LaCrosse. Then Saturday heading into Minnesota early to make the ride but then I need to be home Saturday night.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 07:27:48 AM »

Sluff can't wait to See ya  :2thumbsup; I just got a packet from the NKF with organ donor cards so hopefully we'll get some people to sign up.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 10:33:48 AM »

I ordered two tshirts to wear that Epoman designed.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »

:2thumbsup;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »

What is the cost? Are there some stops along the way? Just curious.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »

It's free this year and yes there will be potty and bev breaks we will only be gone a couple hours but then hoping to go ride longer on another route just for fun with whoever. Otto's boss wants to hit bars but since we may have TV crews following we decided to wait till later for that. Sluff i wish my house was bigger I'd say just stay here but you'd have to lay with the dog sorry. Next year I'm looking at getting sponsors so it can be a bigger event but i have to start somewhere. I have said since joining I have to do something and I try to keep my word :beer1;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 04:04:10 PM »

It's free this year and yes there will be potty and bev breaks we will only be gone a couple hours but then hoping to go ride longer on another route just for fun with whoever. Otto's boss wants to hit bars but since we may have TV crews following we decided to wait till later for that. Sluff i wish my house was bigger I'd say just stay here but you'd have to lay with the dog sorry. Next year I'm looking at getting sponsors so it can be a bigger event but i have to start somewhere. I have said since joining I have to do something and I try to keep my word :beer1;

I have accommodations if I need them, I have a Brother who will probably go on the ride with us lives 75 miles west of you. I need to be back Saturday evening because I have to pick up someone Sunday Morning Up in northern Wisconsin. I appreciate your intentions, don't feel bad.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »

Darn, I just found this thread today. If I had more time, I would see about trying to get something going in this area (north metro Atlanta). I'll talk to some people and try to see if there's potential for next year. Way to go, Lola!!! Thank you from every one of us currently waiting for a kidney (or any other organ) for doing this! :clap;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »

:yahoo; Fingers crossed everyone, just got off the phone with Fox 9 news they are pitching a story idea on our family and the Organ Donation Awareness Ride in the AM with producers if they say yes they'll be here tommorrow to interview us and promote the ride, the guy also said they'll film the ride. He's 99.9% sure they will go for the the Idea since we've had 7 transplant's betwen 4 siblings and my husband will make they 8th.  :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

EDITED:  Fixed  :yahoo; icon error - Goofynina/Admin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:47:33 AM by goofynina » Logged

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »

Sounds great Lola, please keep us posted on this, Good Luck  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 07:05:52 AM »

You'll have to try and get ihatedialysis.com included somehow if you can.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 08:38:09 AM »

I've already thought of that since it got me to meet some amazing friends and this ride is not just about my (machado)family but my IHD family to. I'm waiting to hear if they'll be here today, will let you know.

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »

The story is a go :yahoo; they can't film today since there was a shooting and a gangbanger was shot WTF like that's new? So they will call either Wends or Thurs afternoon to come and do the story.

EDITED:  Fixed  :yahoo; icon error - Goofynina/Admin
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:01:38 PM by goofynina » Logged

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 03:29:49 PM »

Fox 9 just left we will be on tonight 9 & 10 news  :yahoo; I did say one of the resons for wanting to do this ride was because i joined a on line site called I HATE DIALYSIS and theses people also were part of a large # of those waiting so i needed to do something so hopefully it doesn't get edited.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »

Great! Don't forget to tape it!
 :2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »

OUTSTANDING!! Lola thanks for all your efforts.  :thumbup;
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2007, 08:37:52 PM »

Just saw us on TV we thought we were taping and  :oops; didn't, they also cut alot but I'm upset because they cut out what i said about IHD sorry guys i tried. The story was awesome but I'm not done yet :beer1;

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2007, 07:43:13 AM »

OMG you can't imagine all the people responding to us being on TV so many sad stories out there I've told them all about IHD so maybe we'll get some more newbies also we DID get it on tape :yahoo; we have people who don't have bikes but are coming to the ride to show support, people are so cool. Sluff I hope I get to ride on your bike for a little bit (gotta make Susie envious) he he

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »