I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Pre-Mix Bag Shortage ??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pre-Mix Bag Shortage ??  (Read 5218 times)
caregivertech1

« on: November 23, 2015, 05:37:28 AM »

2 months in a row I've received zero bags. The standard I thought was to keep a 5 day supply(I'm down to 2) for backup if you use Pureflow. The shipper told me this AM he did not receive any bags at all for the NxStage users in his area.  I've called customer support and quite frankly feel I'm getting the runaround. Anybody else having this problem?
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »

Glad you shared the info because I will need to order a fresh supply of reserve bags too. I wonder if the winter weather is causing them trouble (frozen bags??) or if we're about to see a recall notice go out. Hope not. If you can/want, please keep us updated and if I find anything out, I will do the same.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
micron

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »

Yep, right there with you. We haven't received bags in the last two shipments.  I haven't gotten this month's shipment yet, but specifically requested they send bags this month (down to two boxes, need 3 per treatment).  If we don't get them I'll be playing the phone tag game with both them and the clinic.

On clinic day I mentioned we hadn't gotten any and after some run around explaining I meant hanging bags and not concentrate they said they'd give me some from a near by clinic.  Sent my husband to pick them up, they gave him concentrate and not even our prescription.  So frustrating.

EDIT: i assumed they didn't want to pay the shipping or something so it's nice to know it isn't just happening to us.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:59:30 AM by micron » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »

I have a question for you guys:  Do you order your NxStage supplies online using their online submission form or call their customer service? The reason I ask is because I've noticed their online form has slightly changed to include a drop-down menu for hanging bags and gives you the option to choose "I have enough".  Wonder if perhaps their online form is not correctly taking orders for bags and somehow thinks you didn't order any. Whenever I see computer changes, I expect bugs..or some screw up caused by the loose nut behind the wheel (me).   :oops;

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
micron

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 06:40:27 AM »

Yes, we use the online form.  I did add a note to the note field, so if there is a discrepancy with their count, hopefully that would make them look closer.  Good thinking, if we don't get any this month I'll be calling them.  It sounds like caregivertech1 has already tried calling them about it though.

caregivertech1

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »

When I called, they admitted a "little" problem with their pre-mix inventory. I had my clinic nurse call and still no results. I also order online but my Oct. order never got shipped to the local transport co. so they sent my order by UPS...all but the pre-mixed. All was working well until a few months ago. Hope I don't have  a Pureflow issue as I'm down to 6 bags....1 treatment.
micron

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:32:10 AM »

No bags in the October shipment.  I'll be calling NxStage today and trying to get some answers.
The delivery guy was from a company that is contracted out to do deliveries so didn't have any idea about missing supplies.
micron

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:07:07 AM »

Ok, so after a 2nd call this morning to NxStage (they never called back yesterday).  They said last month we didn't get bags because they needed "nurse approval"??!!  This month we didn't get any because they ran out.  They will ship them as soon as possible (no ETA).  They called my husband back instead of me, so I didn't' get to ask follow up questions.

They said they've been really busy, which makes sense with patients trying to make holiday travel plans, but you think they'd account for seasonal demand increases.

Meanwhile, our pureflow batch last night failed the conductivity test and auto-drained over night.  After the 3am "continue draining" alarm, I got the new batch started at 6:30 this morning.  I hope this one works since we don't have bags to fall back on. (just had to vent a little :) )
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »

Sounds like some stick pounding with NX-stage needs to be done.  This is your life, so do not let anyone screw around with your supplies.    :banghead;  Good luck with it all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
caregivertech1

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »

Yeah, I got the old "your nurse must not have approved it" also. My nurse says she never got the "approval" email. Wonder if that's something new? Anyway my nurse called them and ask for 6 cases (2 treatments) as I was down to 3 cases for backup. They sent only 5 cases next day air which I got today. Why 5 and not 6 I have no idea. As far as your conductivity check failure, I just went through that. Make sure your drain(black) line is clean with monthly chlorine and the bicarb. Also don't have a connector in the line and don't loop the drain line directly behind the purfelow.  The reason is you may be getting a slight "backwash" of contaminants when the conductivity sample is taken. You might ask tech support about it if it continues. Good luck.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »

I submitted our monthly order online the other day...now we wait and see if it's filled. COMPLETELY. If not or if I find anything out, I will post it. On one hand, a shortage is never acceptable. On the other hand tho, maybe the silver lining is that it indicates an increase in people choosing NxStage. That would be good in the way that I want NxStage to make money and stay in business so they may continue improving on their technology. And in case no one noticed, I am trying to have positive thoughts because it sure beats having a meltdown right now. Did too many chores today and it's late and I am tired and quite frankly, I've had it up to "here" with dilemmas lately and I think it's safe to say "we all have"!   

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »

We received enough bags for 3 treatments. NxStage says the "shortage" is being caused by the holidays. I didn't ask what exactly that means but I am guessing that in addition to filling the usual monthly orders they are also having to ship bags to people's holiday destination (perhaps more people are traveling with their cyclers this year ??). Meanwhile, our nurse said NxStage told her that they are working the orders according to priority; those who regularly use bags will be given priority while those using SAKs will be given fewer bags for reserves until they are caught up. At least that's their story and they seem to be sticking to it.

caregivertech1

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »

Got my shipment today and received zero bags. I reported an inventory of 3 days so I guess that's the magic number now. There's definitely a shortage and in the NxStage way they aren't saying why. Kind of reminds me of the aluminum issue that took a year for them to fess up. BTW our AL was 7 last month......used to be 30 during the crises.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »

Their silence on this is almost deafening. Leaving it up to their customer service reps to tell people over the phone is kind of lame. They sent out word about using frozen bags that have thawed out but yet no official word about the shortage?? We use the Pureflow so having just 3 days of bags is okay...for now... but I sure hope those who regularly use bags are being sent enough. Wonder if this is making people who are wanting to travel a little nervous over whether or not bags will be sent to their destination. I'm sure not all travelers lug the bags with them.   

Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 09:33:43 PM »

We switched to bags during the al issue Maggie's tested at 7 last week.

We have a 2 week reserve.  And when we don't I complain loudly.  Not rude just insistent. 

We travel often and when we used the pureflow it was like pulling teeth to get those extra bags through davita.  FMC it has never really been an issue.

NxStage made us wait a month when we switched to RFP-205.

They said they had to have them made.

That was back in april 2015.

We should be getting a shipment soon.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
micron

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »

They finally sent us 15 boxes (only after our Nurse contacted them and demanded them).  Got here just before Christmas.  Glad to have the reserve again.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »

I hope this is getting fixed for you folks. 12 boxes would be only 3 treatments for me (we use 40 liters at a time) so I am thankful I have not needed any. We keep a 6 day supply in the closet. Yep, 24 boxes. Thinking of this I better check the expiration date of these. :pray;

But when we traveled last summer we had them shipped to my son's house. The shipment got fouled up and my access stopped working (another story)  but we eventually got them. So there are some there for the next trip.

I sure wish the pure flow would travel also. :waiting;

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 05:22:08 AM »

I am curious if anyone curtailed any holiday trips becasue of the fear of this shortage.

If so I think NxStage has to hear about this. I'd be happy to contact them on behalf of a group of folks.

I am already on the "OH NO, NOT HIM AGAIN" list with them.  :rofl;

Just let me know!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 11:28:58 PM »

As soon as I awaken I'll be calling again over not having enough extra between shipments,  Less than 1 week.... We should have 2 weeks.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »