I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Symptoms caused by ckd
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Symptoms caused by ckd  (Read 10269 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2015, 06:24:45 AM »

PD and HD are totally different routes to dialysis.  PD, short for Peritoneal Dialysis, involves installing a catheter in the belly (actually the peritoneum.  Bags of fluid dialysate are filled and drained from the peritoneum, taking with them the toxins and fluid that need to be cleared. The peritoneal membrane actually serves as the filter. It is done at home by you.There are 2 basic forms of it, but you can look them up--CAPD and APD.  Dietary restrictions are looser with PD because it is performed every day so eating "indiscretions" can be cleared daily.

HD requires access to the blood supply, either through a fistula or a chest catheter (less preferred). Blood is removed from the body by a dialysis machine and filtered of toxins and fluids.  Dietary restrictions are tighter.  And usually there's a fluid restriction.  There is a version of HD that is done in-center at a dialysis clinic and a version that is done at home--Home HD.  In-center HD is generally performed 3 times/wk, is harder on the body and eats up a lot of time--15+hours.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Shaks24

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 10:47:10 AM »

I had your exact symptoms at about 20% kidney function. I had pre decided on PD. The vascular surgeon that did my PD Catheter talked me into getting a Fistula placed at the same time for back up in case there were issues with PD. No regrets here going with PD. My advise to you is to start dialysis if you feel like crap. If you do PD it takes the catheter about 4 weeks to heal before you can train and use it. You will feel so much better after getting the toxins out of your system. Do not get caught up on the percent of kidney function you have. If you are suffering, get relief from treatment by starting.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »

PD peritoneal Dialysis is using your peritoneum to filter your blood. You'll have a catheter in your tummy so you can fill your peritoneum with D fluid. Diet restrictions: not much.
HD by being connected to a D-machine by needles in your vein. Either through a neck catheter or a fistula. Diet restrictions depending on doing home hemo a lot, or in-centre 3 days a week, but in general pretty severe.

I'd Google a bit about it so you can ask your neph more questions.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
stayingalive

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 04:14:45 AM »

I don't believe there is too much of a difference but sure there are some.  I think we both have to watch out for the same things.  The only thing I know is that with PD the fluid restriction isn't has bad as with HD.  I still produce some urine also which if I monitor what I take in and what I release I can add a little more fluid.  Its a delicate balancing act tho

SMILE!!  CAPD since June 2014
Polysystic kidney disease
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »

Having had many abdominal surgeries, I have already decided to do Hemo. The thing is, PD does not work so perfectly for more than ( I think) 5 years and can do a lot of damage to your body. If you have ever heard about people who have sclerdoma, the disease where your skin hardens. PD, done too long, can do that to your innards. Not a pretty sight. Brian Riddle, who is one of our members is in that situation and he is very young. For many people, PD opens you up to more infections. I wouldnt know.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »

"If you have ever heard about people who have sclerdoma, the disease where your skin hardens. PD, done too long, can do that to your innards. Not a pretty sight. Brian Riddle, who is one of our members is in that situation and he is very young."

I'm hardly an expert.  But this is a bit alarmist, and from a quick googling seems to have it backwards.  Scleroderma can cause ESRD and those people need to find some form of dialysis.  But I didn't find anything that said PD causes Scleroderma.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »

My husband is diabetic. He chose not to do PD because of glucose in some PD solutions and he also didn't want the sugary glucose increasing his risk of infection. Just in general diabetics don't always heal as quickly or as well. Of course many diabetics are very successful at PD so I guess it depends on the person. Since starting home hemo 2+ years ago, hubby feels a lot better than he did pre-D.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »

Often PD has less restrictions fluid wise that HD.  Sometimes the diet is less restrictive, too.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »