I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  WOMAN LEFT ALONE FOR HOURS AT JOLIET DIALYSIS CENTER DIES
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WOMAN LEFT ALONE FOR HOURS AT JOLIET DIALYSIS CENTER DIES  (Read 3848 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 03, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »

WOMAN LEFT ALONE FOR HOURS AT JOLIET DIALYSIS CENTER DIES

A patient died after being found alone for hours while awaiting a ride home from a dialysis center.

Monday, November 02, 2015 05:43PM

JOLIET, Ill. (WLS) -- Joliet police are investigating the death of a patient who died a day after she was left alone for hours while awaiting a ride home from a dialysis center.

The 71-year-old Shorewood woman had been going to dialysis three times a week at DaVita Renal Center West at the Silver Cross Professional building since September.

Transported by a Kurtz Medivan, she came on Saturday at 3 p.m. for her 4-hour treatment, but it wasn't until 11: 45 p.m. Saturday that authorities were called by the woman's daughter.

When they arrived, they saw the woman alert but disoriented in the waiting room and had to break in to get her. She was taken to a hospital, where she died several hours later.

A spokesperson with DaVita said: "Staff did a check of the dialysis suite and waiting room before locking up at 8:45 p.m. and leaving out of the back of the building" and that "the patient must have been in the front lobby."

Furthermore, he said: "We are working in partnership with local law enforcement to understand how, after leaving our dialysis suite, a patient apparently was not picked up by their transportation service. By law, we are prohibited from entering into business relationships with transportation companies. Patients choose and arrange their own transportation to and from treatments."

The vice president of Kurtz Ambulance Service said return service is not automatically scheduled by the company, rather, they are contacted by the facility or the patient once treatment is done. In this case, they say they were never contacted.

The DaVita spokesperson said they are continuing to review building security video to determine exactly what happened.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-left-alone-for-hours-at-dialysis-center-dies-/1064988/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 03:19:22 PM »

One of the most horrible things I have ever seen occurred in the center I go to a 84 year old women was told by the quack she was seeing that her cancer was inoperable and she was going to die.  So after dialysis with this news dropped on her like a bomb she had to wait two hours to be picked up to go back to rehab. I was still,on dialysis so as soon as I was off I went to check on her, she told me her story and I went to the head nurse and asked they contact her children to come over to be with her and as they were calling the transport company finally showed up. It was a good thing the doctor did not show up for a couple of days I would have punched him right in his smug mouth.  If she had been my mother I would look him up and still punch him.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »

Stories like this sicken me. Centers should designate at least one employee to check the place before locking up for the nite. At an office I worked at I had been designated one of the safety floor wardens. One of my jobs with that was to check and make sure no one had panicked and was stuck hiding somewhere during fire drills because in real life, sometimes people panic to the point where they freeze up and can't move. Maybe this elderly patient had gone back inside to use the restroom or a phone and for whatever reason, panicked or became disorientated and/or frozen somewhere. Mistakes happen but at a dialysis center and because of the very nature of dialysis being a medical treatment, no, there should be zero tolerance.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »

Besides searching there should be a positive sign in and sign out of all non (anatomy) (should have been ambulatory) patients.  At arrival the staff should log the patient in and inform the transporter of the expected completetion time.  When the transporter arrives for pickup again in the same log the pickup is logged.  One look at the log and you know you got a problem.  Finally as previous  noted a final sweep of the facility should be done to ensure that no patient is left behind.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:59:15 PM by Michael Murphy » Logged
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »

I live very close to this town and this has been the lead story on the radio and TV news since it broke last night.  I hope everyone involved at the facility from the FA on down is fired and never works with dialysis patients again.  The amount of finger pointing between the transport service and the dialysis center is shameful.  I get that due to the kickbacks and fraud you can't have the dialysis centers contracting for transport, but that law should be changed so that ORGANIZING transport to make sure patients are not left behind should be a no-brainer.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »

One of the things I was told by my center staff is that the charge nurse can't leave till the last patient is picked up, that they can't leave a patient unattended, if that's true no matter what the transporter did the final person responsible is at the center.  By the way I leaned that tidbit a couple of weeks ago when the nurse chewed the transporters a new one.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 05:01:02 AM »

The amount of finger pointing between the transport service and the dialysis center is shameful.

I don't see in any way how this could be blamed on the transport service, the dialysis center staff did not do their job to check the building before the left for the night.  And if patients wait in an area outside of the center it would still be their responsibility (according to me) to check that area.

Had they checked the building they would have found the woman and called the woman's contacts.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:02:37 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »