I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Sunday Plumbing Expense
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunday Plumbing Expense  (Read 2721 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: October 04, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

:banghead;  Last night during my last drain I had to go #2.  I went into the bathroom, and the toilet was plugged up.  It seems the plastic from the drain
bags did it.  I was taught to cut the ends of the bags and dump the fluid into the toilet.  Evidently plastic stuck it up over time.  It was $50 to come out on a Sunday, and $179 for the unplug routine.  It took the guy five minutes.  He did give me a senior discount.  From now on I dump the fluid into the shower and rinse it afterwards so no plastic
gets in my system.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

You might look into buying a plumbing auger or plumbing snake. Can get them cheap at Walmart. I use one for our bathtub drain. Cheap, about $5 and easy to use.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »

The specific item you need for a toilet is a "closet auger".   These are MUCH more effective at undoing a clog that a plunger and are available at any of the Home Depot like stores, and much more effective on an impacted #2 that the type of snake you would use on a bathtub drain - plus the handle makes it very easy to use without touching any of the sticky stuff.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:28:32 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
KidneysR4Wimps

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »

I've read that dumping into your sink or tub can also cause backup over time because the solution is sugar water. It can cause a slimy-goo type substance to sit in the pipes, even if you rinse after dumping it out. They suggest the toilet because there's always water in there.

Good luck!

Just call me MJ!
JW77

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »

Had similar..boiling hot water can sometimes shift it, with bicarb of soda..

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »

I keep a 'jug' of swimming pool chlorine tablets in the garage to drop a few into the outdoor fountain.  Keeps the misquetos down.  Ditto and standing water, like a few old tires I haven't gotten rid of, yet.

One day I got the bright idea of dropping a few into the toilet tank.  Works great, except the flushing desolved them too soon.  So I had another bright idea, fill a coffee cup about half full of the tablets and top it off with one of those blue pucks, and set that cup in the bottom of the tank.

It is working great.  Not too much blue and not too much chlorine.  Can hardly even smell it but the inside of the bowl is staying far cleaner than ever before.  And by limiting how much 'spreads' from only the surface of the cup the tablets and puck lasts a whole lot longer than before.

One thing to remember:

Do NOT add any type of chlorine cleaner to the bowl for manual cleaning.  It very well could react with the pool chlorine tablet and release FATAL CHLORINE GAS.

IF YOU INSIST ON USING ANYTHING AND MANUALLY SCRUBBING THE BOWL i WOULD SUGGEST REMOVING THE CUP FROM THE TANK, FLUSH A COUPLE OF TIMES TO BE SURE ALL CHEMICAL IS RINSED OUT, THEN CLEAN.  oNLY REPLACING THE CUP ONCE TOTALLY FINISHED CLEANING.

qwap!  I see that I have inadvertantly hit the capslock.   Oooops!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »