I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:21:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Restlessness -- is this a symptom?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Restlessness -- is this a symptom?  (Read 2556 times)
BarbP

« on: September 12, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »

Wondering if the following are symptoms arising out of her poor kidney function, or instead more likely to be anxiety-related?

Recently -- in the last week or so -- Mom is experiencing insomnia, and also periods of restlessness where she feels an overwhelming inner urge to "move".  This seems to mostly be happening in the early to mid-afternoon, after brunch and when she is settled in her recliner.  She will just start feeling like she has to stand up and walk for a while with her walker, but since her knees are bad this is a whole other problem because she can't walk for very long or much distance.  I've tried looking this up, but she doesn't seem to have RLS, she says "all of her" feels like she has to get up and move.  This lasts about an hour, so she'll be up and down a couple of times. 

Previous to this new thing, however, she'd spend periods of time moving her recliner chair up and down, back and forth, or she'd sit and rock herself from side to side.  When I asked her about the rocking, she'd say she was exercising her back.  She still does the rocking. 
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »

It might very well be a combination of both, and RLS can take many forms. Maybe she wants to try some meds? I take Diazepam which really works.

Good luck, and love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »