I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Renal anemia?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renal anemia?  (Read 3007 times)
Athena

« on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:10 AM »

It seems that I now have a much worsened situation with renal anemia. Since April, I have ceased menstruating after undergoing a surgical procedure to stop this (as I had heavy menses). In spite of this, I am now experiencing worsening anemia over the last 3 months. My iron stores are very healthy, even "overfull" from an iron infusion I had in Nov last year, but my Hemoglobin now drops at the drop of a hat in the 9 range. I'm taking a Aranesp shot once a month but by the end of the month, I can see my lips and face looking more pale and I feel less of an inclination to exercise. I'm about to get another round of 'death stats' & will have this confirmed again but the anemia feeling is undeniable.

Can others please share how it was like dealing with renal anemia when you were in CKD? I'm finding it very troubling to imagine being dependent on Aranesp EPO shots for life as I've heard that there are considerable risks to health from taking these shots over a long period of time.

Is there any hope that my dependency on these injections may lessen?

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Alex C.

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »

I too battled anemia in the last few months before dialysis, and took to the extreme of carrying sugary candy with me almost everywhere. Still, in the end, I lost to a combination of anemia and elevated potassium levels. It sounds like you should consider starting dialysis right away. Trust me, it's better than suffering along with illness.
Athena

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »

I too battled anemia in the last few months before dialysis, and took to the extreme of carrying sugary candy with me almost everywhere. Still, in the end, I lost to a combination of anemia and elevated potassium levels. It sounds like you should consider starting dialysis right away. Trust me, it's better than suffering along with illness.

Hi Alex,
No Neph can put me on dialysis right now because I am not close to end-stage. That's not to say that there isn't suffering in pre-dialysis of course but there are medical protocols that govern when someone can start dialysis. What was you eGFR when you started dialysis? Sounds like you may have started earlier than usual.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »