I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Blue Water Line to Pureflow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blue Water Line to Pureflow  (Read 5068 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: August 28, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »

Question: Anyone know how to keep the blue water line to the Pureflow machine from twisting up like a pretzel? As many of you know, the blue line is not very pliable and so obviously, should just be left alone but...when not in use, I prefer to disconnect it from our faucet adapter (water source) in our apartment and very very gently coil it up in large loops and hang it over the back of a handle on a cart that I have sitting next to the Pureflow (I never actually disconnect it from the Pureflow tho). This works well except there is about 1-2 feet of it that likes to twist up like a pretzel and I am trying to think of ideas to keep it from doing this. I usually just leave the trouble area alone, as I do not want to bend/break/wear out the line and deal with leaks and disasters of the like but lately it's gotten on my nerves and I am determined to conquer "the pretzel".

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »

Only slightly off topic -

Check behind you pure flow.  Make sure none of the blue lines are touching any other blue lines.   I didn't do this, and the vibration (when the water is flowing) caused the lines to wear into each other over a number of months and eventually spring a leak.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »

Only slightly off topic -

Check behind you pure flow.  Make sure none of the blue lines are touching any other blue lines.   I didn't do this, and the vibration (when the water is flowing) caused the lines to wear into each other over a number of months and eventually spring a leak.
To prevent wear-n-tear caused by rubbing and vibration noise, I keep a piece of gauze taped to the top of the black bracket that holds the sediment filter where one of the blue lines run across. And since the main blue line to our water source that runs along the floor likes to snuggle up alongside the black waste line in one area behind the Pureflow, I use a soft lightweight piece of cloth to keep them separated (I say lightweight because you don't want any weight pulling on them and their connections to the Pureflow). Now if I could just conquer the pretzel problem, I'd be happy. Thinking of using foam pipe insulation (if it's in-stock at the store this time of year). Otherwise, I may just give in and snake the blue line around the perimeter of the room like I do the black waste line and as Donald Trump says, "deal with it".

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »

If your blue line is long enough like mine, you can buy strips at DIY shops to hide speaker cables and tack those around the room.

Good luck, and love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »

If your blue line is long enough like mine, you can buy strips at DIY shops to hide speaker cables and tack those around the room.

Good luck, and love, Cas
I've thought about using those cable holders but haven't decided. I don't want to keep the blue line connected to our faucet all the time and I'm afraid the cable holders will add too much weight to the line and that I won't be able to coil up just the end of it to hang/put aside somewhere. In other words, I'm afraid the cable holders may add too much stress to the line if I lift the end of it every day to coil up or hang. Darn...maybe I just have to keep the blue line connected to the faucet adapter all the time. Arrgg!

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:37:10 AM »

Is there no possibility to make an extra water pipe faucet (like for a washing machine one?)

Love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »

Is there no possibility to make an extra water pipe faucet (like for a washing machine one?)

Love, Cas

No. The faucet for our washing machine is in a utility closet and too far but that would be the perfect place for it tho since it also has a drain. I am thinking of using your idea (cable organizers) and just snaking the line around the perimeter of the room to the kitchen faucet like we've been doing, instead of coiling and uncoiling it between uses. Been doing that now for nearly 2 years and I'm afraid all that coiling could wear the line out and cause leaks. I don't mind putting it away each time so much as having it run through our living room but what the heck, we do my husband's treatments in the living room and so it pretty much serves as our "clinic" anyways. The other faucet we have is in the bathroom across from our bedroom but the bedroom is too cramped and I think that would be too depressing for him to do his treatments back there. So, we have his "clinic" set up in the living room where we can both sit and talk and watch tv together or I can talk to him or watch him from the kitchen if I cook while he's on. We store all the supplies in a tiny den area in the apartment. Basically, it's boils down to me having to accept things but, having a blue line run through the living room would be better than wearing it out and ending up with a flood! Thanks so much for your idea! It helps to bounce ideas off with other people and everyone here on the site is much more understanding of our situation than people who aren't going thru it.   

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:06:27 PM »

:cuddle;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad