I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Does milk and milk bi-products add to your fluid intake
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does milk and milk bi-products add to your fluid intake  (Read 8974 times)
BigDadii

« on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »

I love milkshakes and milk and cookies also eating cereal. I love milk and milk byproducts. I know water and other fluids add to your fluid intake but my question is does and how much does milk add to your fluid intake.

I can do anything through Christ Jesus
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:57:38 AM »

yes:
http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease/diet-and-nutrition/diet-basics/food-that-counts-as-fluid-on-the-kidney-diet/e/6965

Here is a list of foods to consider when you’re counting fluid intake:
◾Coffee and tea
◾Gelatin
◾Ice chips or cubes
◾Ice cream
◾Juice
◾Milk and milk substitutes
◾Popsicles
◾Sherbet
◾Soup
◾Sorbet

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:31:19 AM »

Any thing that melts at room temperature is considered a fluid, my personal problem is watermelon, it counts oz for oz as a fluid.
BigDadii

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »

I love watermelon too. I think that has been my downfall during those two days you go between sessions. What about beer and alcohol byproducts. Also, I've heard that certain vegetables turn into fluid whern digested
is that true and which vegetable shouldm I look out for.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »

Cucumber has a very high water content
Grapefruit and strawberries, as well as all types of melon (not just watermelon)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 05:40:03 PM »

It's that time of year that 'soft' fruits are available.  Peach. pear, apricots, grapes, kiwi, and any other high water content fruits.  Oranges, lemon, lime, grapefruit, pineapple.  All are good but we still have to pay attention to portion control or cut out fluids in other areas.

Fortunately, I am on PD and not near as restricted as those of you on Hemo.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

I love watermelon too. I think that has been my downfall during those two days you go between sessions.
Have you considered home treatment?  If you go the NxStage route, a single day off between treatment will be your "long gap".  If you go BabyK you can get a 4 day or every other day protocol and avoid the 2 day gap.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 08:12:07 PM »

Yes beer, wine and booze are liquids. Stronger the proof the less liquid you will need.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »

Yes beer, wine and booze are liquids. Stronger the proof the less liquid you will need.

I'll drink to that!
Me and Jack (on the rocks).
 :waving;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »

This is important, one of the guys ion my shift was not paying attention when this was taught and went to a family reunion/picnic  and ate most of two watermelons over a long weekend gained 10 kilos and had five straight days of dialysis.  If you pour it, if it melts, if it contains water (like watermelon) it counts on your fluid restrictions.  Diet is very important there are foods out there that can kill you. star fruit for example.  They are not tell you this to annoy you,  phosphorous, potassium, and fluid content are things you have to watch. Star fruit will kill you or give you the hic cups for days.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »

I'll drink to that!
Me and Jack (on the rocks).

While I very rarely drink alcohol, I have to wonder about this 'powdered' alcohol.  Can I sprinkle it on my morning toast?

Maybe spread some on a PBJ for lunch?

Whip a scoop into the mashed potatoes for dinner?

This could really improve meals!

BigDadii

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 06:25:55 PM »

Thanx everyone for your answers. I have learned a lot. And Mr. Murphy how in the world could your friend breath. I will work on my fluid intake and maybe learn to drink straight liqour ha ha  ;D

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »

" powdered" alcohol????? Tell me more!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 06:13:43 AM »

He is a big man so it added  24 pounds on a 280 pound frame, he had to wear sweats for the rest of the week because nothing else fit. Now he watches hid fluid intake carefully a straight week of Dialysis was a good teacher, plus his wife monitors him and his lab work.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 04:45:10 PM »

LOL  Encapsulated alcohol, a 'dry' powder that dissolves in liquids releasing the alcohol from within.  Can be snorted, in haled, or added to any liquid.  Serious potential for tranquilizing airways and lungs leading to respiratory failure if aspirated.  Far more serious than taking a deep breath after taking a drink of strong spirits.

Googled it

https://www.google.com/search?q=powdered+alcohol&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Many states have already passed measured to either ban it completely or tightly regulate it.

Like I said earlier, this could change we think about breakfast, lunch, and dinner, if liberally sprinkled on our morning toast, etc..

May improve our outlook on the day!

BigDadii

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »

??? I have another question. ??? How do you handle the paranoia during the two day period between dialysis sessions. Counting and wondering if you've drank or eaten too much fluid. I have a session on Friday so I worry Sat. and Sun. if I've taken in too much fluid. Help 

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »

It's simple keep track of what you drink or eat.  Know the size of any thing you drink from and I use a kitchen scale that reads in kilos.  The closer you stick to your fluid limits the easier dialysis is.
BigDadii

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:34 PM »

I made it pretty good this past weekend. I just constantly think about it the whole weekend.. That's what I'm talking about. Counting may add to my paranoia. lol ;D

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 02:19:36 AM »

Do it long enough and it becomes a habit and you will stop obsessing,  it's a pain but better than cramping from them pulling a lot of water off of you.
BigDadii

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:18 PM »

Yeah been there done that ... You're right I'll get use to it

casper2636

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

I go through the same thing when my weekend rolls around. I fret and and wrench my hands, and am so hyper aware of what I'm putting in my mouth. It's a horrible feeling. So, on my Saturday, the day of the beginning of my weekend, I ask them to take off just a little bit more than my dry weight. That gives my some sanity and "wiggle room" for my fluid intake over the two days without dialysis.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »

Salt intake is the key.  If you limit your salt you won't be as thirsty.  Also, if you sweat it out you can have a drink.  I do much better in the summer when the fluid is freely leaving me than I do in the winter when no fluid leaves me.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »

Salt intake is the key.  If you limit your salt you won't be as thirsty.  Also, if you sweat it out you can have a drink.  I do much better in the summer when the fluid is freely leaving me than I do in the winter when no fluid leaves me.

Spot on, Rerun.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »