I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:58:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello everyone...Yesenia (aka Shorty)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello everyone...Yesenia (aka Shorty)  (Read 1726 times)
shorty09

« on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »

Hello everyone...

My name is Yesenia (Shorty), I was diagnosed with kidney failure in April of this year. I have struggled with anemia since I was in second grade. I have seen countless of doctors, and I got the same response, it was always iron-deficiency. in December 2014, while vacationing in Mexico, I had test done, my hemoglobin was way below normal. When the doctor saw my results we was surprised that I was even walking. He explained that my anemia was so terrible that at those levels a person was not able to get up, even less be able to walk. The doctor advised me to take care of it, he wanted to start a blood transfusion, I objected due to financial and trust in the medical teams out there. As soon as I got back I went to directly to the doctor and sure enough, I was in the hospital getting a blood transfusion.

Then in April 24,a day after my little sisters birthday, I received the most dreadful news, not only was my anemia still bad but I had "kidney problems." That day I was emitted to the hospital, the next day I was told that sure enough my kidneys were not working. They both are small and have small cysts. Soon I started seeing the nephrologists at my clinic, the two that I saw advice that I needed to start dialysis because my kidneys were not work well at all. One of them advice for me to do PD, because I have really skinny arms and she wanted to leave those for last. Along with their advice, I decided to do PD.  In July 13, I got my catheter. I thought I was going to wait before my first dialysis treatment but no, the very next day I had my first therapy.

For me the hardest part it was telling my family. I got different responses. Some that motivated me not to give up and others who compared me to their family members and explaining that it was going to be hard that I am going to go down (depress) with the treatment. The great thing was that I finished school (Bachelors in Social Work) before starting my treatment. As I say we all carry a cross in this life, this one is mine and I plan to carry it with dignity. Of course it does not mean that I LOVE IT!!!! but I think I can handle it. I have a great team (nurse, physician, social worker and dietitian) I can count on.

Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.-Victoria Holt
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »

:welcomesign;  Welcome to the IHD site, Shorty!  Very sorry you went thru so much before being diagnosed but hopefully you are on the path to feeling better. Stick with it. Hate to say this but while sometimes friends and family can be helpful, sometimes they are the ones that make things worse (with their selfishness and negativity). Keep the ones that are helpful close by and the people that make you feel worse, ignore them if you can. Meanwhile, you will make all sorts of good friends HERE!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »

Hi shorty09,
It's good to have you here. 
Thanks for joining our community. Welcome!

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »

Welcome to the site Shorty

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »

My usual greeting ...... glad to see you here but sorry you need to be. Welcome.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »