I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello everyone! I'm new to the page
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello everyone! I'm new to the page  (Read 2523 times)
DeeK

« on: August 19, 2015, 02:56:57 AM »

Today is my first day of dialysis and I'm a little scared, to say the least. I was diagnosed with PKD in 1990 and didn't have many problems until 1997 when the kidney infections started.  Still did pretty well for about ten years, but I've been battling chronic, often debilitating pain for the past 7 1/2 years.  Even though I've known this was coming for years, it's still hard to process the changes about to take place in my life. I figured what better way to deal with it than to talk to those of you who know exactly what I'm going through?  I look forward to your input!
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:47:26 AM »

Hello DeeK...

:welcomesign; to our community.... You wouldn't be human if you weren't nervous....

Hope your first dialysis session went well...

Visit and post often... Keep us informed... Feel free to ask questions of the more 'experienced' dialysis 'customers'... We're very happy to share our experiences...

God bless...

Darth... Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »

I hope you find the fear is much worse then the actual experience. That's what amazed me when I had my first session.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 05:17:10 AM »

Welcome to the site DeeK

:welcomesign;

How did you get on?

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
DeeK

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:35:31 AM »

Yes the fear was much worse than the actual experience. The staff at my center are wonderful. Today will be my 5th treatment. The only problem I am having so far is cramping in my feet and legs. I'm no wimp when it comes to pain, but I've gotta admit these cramps nearly bring me to tears. They say it will get better as my body adjusts. Is this true? How long will that take? Any ideas on how to make it easier in the meantime?
BigDadii

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 05:00:34 AM »

Hello Deek,
I know what cramps feel like. It will get better as your body adjusts to having your blood cleaned and your extra fluid removed. Just make sure when you feel the cramp coming call a tech and have them give you some saline. That will stop the cramps. Dialysis will get easier as time goes on. I hope you've been put on the kidney list. If not talk to your doctor and make sure you get on it if you qualify, so you can get off dialysis soon.

I can do anything through Christ Jesus
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »

Welcome Deek,

As others have said your body will adjust. But do not be afraid to tell a tech want you are feeling or what you want. They al have "procedures" they expect us to fit into and all our bodies are different.

Shortly you will realize you feel much better with dialysis than you did before ........

Good Luck

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »

Deek - If you can get yourself on a home treatment short daily NxStage protocol, cramps will be a thing of the past.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »

Deek - If you can get yourself on a home treatment short daily NxStage protocol, cramps will be a thing of the past.

OH YEAH!!!! Agree 100%

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 11:39:52 AM »

During the first bunch of sessions they are trying to find out what your dry weight should be.  Most of the cramps are caused by the removal of fluid.  If your lucky enough to have some kidney function it is more difficult to find your dry weight.  The one thing that really helps is to meet your fluid goals.  However you should let them know when you are cramping since they can slow down the fluid extraction.  This is the one time you should not be a tough gut if you are cramping let the people treating you know.  In time it gets better, every now and then every one slips and takes in too much fluid and the next few sessions are tough. 
DeeK

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 05:55:13 AM »

Thank you all for your input. Yesterday's session was better, they reduced the amount of fluids they pulled and I didn't have any cramping. The bad part of that is I still have quite a bit of swelling in my legs. I will definitely limit my fluid intake this weekend and keep my feet elevated. It will be a challenge to avoid the excess swelling during the week as I work full time sitting at a desk with no way to elevate my feet. Hopefully limiting my fluid intake will make a big difference.

I'm a very small person so the dietician said the main thing I have to work on right now is eating more protein and gaining weight. This has been a problem for me because of the severe nausea and vomiting I have been living with for nearly two years. But since I've started dialysis I have had some nausea but I have not thrown up at all. And so far my appetite has been much better, which was an unexpected benefit! 

I guess when you are so sick for so long, then things start to turn around a little you just feel grateful for each little thing. That's where I'm at right now. Just grateful!  I know this whole dialysis thing is not an easy road and I've probably got tons more obstacles to overcome, but I feel so much better today than I did just two short weeks ago. And I'm hoping I'll feel even better two weeks from now.

I'm certainly glad I have you all to help me navigate the unknown!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »