I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:47:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Insomnia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 4188 times)
WillieWundt

« on: August 17, 2015, 08:05:13 AM »

I have been on home dialysis with a NxStage system 2 for about 4 months. I dialyze 4 times a week for about 3 1/2 hours each time. I run my blood volume at 350 and the dialysate at 15. I have terrible insomnia on the days I dialyze. I cannot fall asleep until well into the early morning hours. I tend to be a bit jittery and cannot fall asleep. On days when I do not dialyze, I have no trouble sleeping. Has anyone had a similar problem and have you found a solution to this type of insomnia?
Angiepkd

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »

Hi Willie.  I suffered from insomnia while doing home hemo, also.  My doc didn't want to put me on a prescription drug, so he recommended melatonin.  I used it for several months, but it didn't really help much.  Other OTC meds like Tylenol PM worked about the same.  Wish I could give you a recommendation for an easy fix, but I haven't found one.  Even after transplant, I still have trouble falling asleep - jittery, mind racing, restless legs etc.  I am sure you know the drill.  I have tried to follow the rules for good sleep like no caffeine, background noise, warm bath, etc. but to no avail.  Now I pretty much lay in bed and will myself to go to sleep.  Usually works in about an hour.  :stressed;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:48:47 AM »

I'm starting to experience insomnia after in center dialysis.  I try to use Tylenol PM but like Angiepkd it has limited effect.  I'm also trying to cut back my pre dialysis coffee (I'm not retaining liquid) and feel it might help to have less than two cups in the 8 - 1 PM stretch (no caffeine otherwise).  I'm doing things like listening to relaxing music on headphones and that helps give my mind something to focus on.  Also I've found that it has not helped to skip napping on dialysis.  So in the end, yes its a problem, sorry don't know of real solutions...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:07:30 AM »

^
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:55:01 AM by noahvale » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »

Full article - http://www.homedialysis.org/life-at-home/articles/to-sleep-perchance-to-dream-with-home-dialysis

On suggestion there:
Take a hot shower or bath before bed.When your body cools off after you get out, it can help you sleep better.
One hot evening I did that and it did help.  I enjoy baths and would do them more often but I'm concerned about doing them since my fistula is not healed after getting off at about 7 PM.  Maybe I'll try that more often and just keep my arm out of the water.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »