I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Things to take to dialysis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things to take to dialysis  (Read 11230 times)
gotmoose

« on: July 31, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »

I'm starting dialysis in a week to two. Was wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you have to keep busy while under going dialysis for 4 hours.
Thanks gotmoose
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »

If you're allowed to eat and drink, something light to eat, a blanket, something to read. Maybe Emla cream, or spray to numb the needling?

Good luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
gotmoose

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:57:16 PM »

What is Elma cream for? Not sure if I'm allowed to eat or drink during it. Hoping they have Wifi.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:48 PM »

Emla cream is for numbing the skin, so the needles don't hurt so much.

Yeah, wifi will make a huge difference.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
gotmoose

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »

Thanks for the info Cas
OlManRivah

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »

I take my Kindle Fire where I download my local newspaper and various magazines and books.
I also take some hard candy.
Take some headphones to plug into the TV.

Country boys can survive!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »

Laptop, wifi, downloaded Netflix movies (playlater.tv) or copies of Redbox movies (slysoft.com), or use Netfflix directly if your clinic's wifi supports it.   
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »

I have a 2 part kit I take with me to dialysis.

Part 1
an egg crate mattress twin size- to make the chair more comfortable
a sheet to cover the mattress with
a pillow for the head and neck
a bleacher pillow to sit on.
a warm, soft blanket

Part 2
bag to carry this stuff in
Snacks-cereal, suckers, cereal bars, finger foods
cup of ice
noise canceling headphones
kindle fire tablet

Wear something comfortable.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
gotmoose

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 05:53:06 AM »

Thanks all for the replys . Hoping Dialysis will go smoothly and make me feel better :)
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »

I bring the following

1 small pillow
1 fuzzy blanket (it gets cold)
1 small blanket (if it's really cold)
1 bottle of water (it's important to crack the cap prior to starting cause you will only have one hand to use if you have a fistula in a arm)
Food selected so it can be eaten with one hand
iPad Air , books, movies, games, mail, and web access in one package
Holder for iPad ( wonderful holder on thinkgeek.com that looks like a spider and holds iPad so it works great with one hand)
iPhone to listen to music and make or receive calls.
Headset (this is important helps for phone calls, and allows the music to drown out the noise so I can nap)
Chargers for both iPad and iPhone
Also nice if you need them
A cushion to sit on.( I used to use a gel foam cushion when I started because as I sat there for 4 hours my butt began to hurt)

You are going to be stuck in a hard medical recliner for three to four hours not able to move much.  Dress comfortably, wear light clothes.
Good luck. I know it's a terrifying thing to start but it's not as bad as you think it will be.

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »

I had to bring blankets and pillow to my old center, along with a light snack and a bottle of water (after I fought the staff to be allowed to bring the last two items into the center at all).

I was traveling and visited a different center for treatment.  They were wondering why I was dragging all of that stuff into the center....sure enough they provided as many pillows and heated blankets as I wanted.  I told my nurse about it when I returned and I just got the eye roll.   >:(
gotmoose

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »

Thank you for all the ideas. Not sure what they have as far as rules to what I can bring or not bring. Dialysis has got to make me feel better then I do now. GFR is 10. This horrible taste is driving me nuts.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »

My advise on taste small bottle of mouthwash to use frequently till you start, or toothbrush with small toothpaste.  It's miserable but dialysis emlinates it fine,
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »

They were wondering why I was dragging all of that stuff into the center....sure enough they provided as many pillows and heated blankets as I wanted.
I asked for a blanket at my first treatment - was told they didn't provide these.

A nurse in the back room (treatment planning meetings, home D treatment) had access to the fleece blankets with the triangular FMC logo and gave me a couple - guess the nurses in the clinic didn't have access to the secret stash.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »

I have a real sheepskin that I sit on, much more comfortable than just the chair after 4 hours.
I always have the day's newspaper (only chance I get to read it cover to cover) and do the crossword, sudoko and other puzzles (keep the brain active)
I sometimes read a book and I often colour in an adult colouring book (they are all the rage now) and it's a very relaxing way to while away the hours...
Plenty of ice and I like crisps or similar, helps keep my salt levels up during dialysis.

Good luck  ;D you are joining a very elite club!!! :beer1;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Alex C.

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 05:33:03 AM »

Man, some of you people carry a LOT of junk to dialysis! Do you carry it in a little red wagon??

FWIW, all you really need is a blanket (not too heavy, because you're likely gonna need to cram it back into your bag one-handed), maybe a pillow (I carry one small pillow to put under my knees, to prevent leg cramps), reading material, ear buds, your phone, and maybe a small bottle of water. I also carry a 'neck pillow', because those dialysis chairs are made for somebody about 6" shorter than me, and they provide very little neck support. All of this I fit into a large Wal-Mart cloth shopping bag.

BTW, don't bring anything that you wouldn't mind getting blood on. It's gonna happen sooner or later.
gotmoose

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 06:04:14 AM »

You all have some good ideas, thanks. Might be delayed little bit now on Dialysis. Have to have a fistula gram done in morning. I'm wanting to get on with this and get started. Got my back packed and ready to go. Just hope I do as well as my mother did before she was transplanted.
Gotmoose
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »

Travel pillow
In ear headphones (to block the noise)
Food (nuts or raisins at the start and an apple at the end)
Ice Water (refillable, I'm not fluid controlled yet)
iPhone
Backup batter pack for iPhone (my iPhone is near dead after three plus hours of playing on the internet via Wi-Fi)
Kindle (but I don't read that much at D, more on the commute)
Socks (hospital or airplane so I can change out of my work shoes and socks)

To pass time I read and browse a lot on my iPhone.  I've purposely not turned on the TV in 1.5 years since I think that would be a time drain that would burn me out.  Usually I have a playlist from Amazon Prime music playing. My DaVita center seems to block the main ports for email so I use the gMail app for my personal email over Apple Mail well in center.  Streaming from Comcast and Amazon Prime works but I don't really watch movies at D, I get enough of those at home.  I'm not yet cold enough to need a blanket, but I do change into socks.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 06:44:57 AM »

iPad Air , books, movies, games, mail, and web access in one package

How is it holding the Air for a long time with one hand? 

I got rid of my original iPad and moved to the iPhone exclusively because the iPad was heavy for one handed use and using a stand only works well for watching movies.  I'm thinking a larger iPhone would be nice but also think about the Air.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Hootie

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »

A good attitude is the most important thing to bring to treatment.  :yahoo;

:)

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:38 AM »

To use a iPad one handed the web site thinkgeek.com sells a device called a tablift for 59.99.  It has 4 flexible legs that sit on the chair arms and hold the iPad firmly so using 1 handed is no problem. It's designed to work with most tablet devices.   I use my iPhone to play music so I can nap.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »

... I always take two different books to choose from :
one book on a historical riddle and the other one is at the moment a very interesting biography
and then I also take my weekly crosswords with me, but only the one’s where interesting prices are offered for the winner ...
(Mind you, I have not won a price yet, but I am very keen and there is still hope...)
I also take my evening meal with me, i.e. my favourite potato salad and a few cashew-nuts...
... Then I add my kidney warmers (against the draft) and my cosy bed-shoes .... and that is all...
... I always look forward to each treatment; not only because it keeps me alive but also because it makes me feel so much better ...
... and on the way there we (my husband and I) listen to wonderful classical music in the car, i.e. Vivaldi (he is our favourite at the moment)...
Good luck wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
gotmoose

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »

I'm actualy looking forward somewhat to starting dialysis in hopes that it will make me feel better. Tired of feeling like crap. Has to be better then how I feel now.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »

As much as I dreaded starting there is NO QUESTION I feel better than I did for months before we started.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »

IF you have an Ikea near you, the blue bags they sell to carry your stuff out of the store make a great bag to carry the blankets and pillows.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »