I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  Planned Parenthood?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planned Parenthood?  (Read 29240 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »

Michael:  Abortions are legal.  Now what do you think should be done with the fetus? 

I want to hear it in your words because I can't even put it into words......

Let alone that Planed Parenthood is profiting from them.....

Let's go ... write it!

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »

It should be disposed of as medical waste.  Not pretty but no solution to this problem is.  The solution to abortion is a vexing political problem, abortion legal or not has been around for all of history.   Even being illegal when I was growing up it was common for the bad girl to go to a unlicensed provider and risk her life to get the procedure done.  Best solution don't get pregnant if you don't want the child.  However the reality is that people get pregnant when they are unable to care for the child.  This is a no win argument I won't argue abortion is great, it obviously not A optimal solution.  But neither is the death of a 16 year old who panics and goes to some quack to have it done and dies as a result.  Planned Parenthood provides 300,000 abortions a year and 100 times that in other services.  This is a attempt by abortion opponents to close a safe and legal method of poor women to get a abortion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:06:11 AM by Michael Murphy » Logged
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »

I agree with Michael Murphy.

While abortion is not a pretty picture, without the contraception and information provided by Planned Parenthood, there would be far MORE abortions. Those who are strongly against abortion should be strongly FOR contraceptive services.

Usually the choice to have an abortion is not one that is desired. In far too many cases other means of contraception have failed and abortion is the last unfortunate option.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »

Forgot to add that S.1881 was defeated over the very queries raised by Michael Murphy.

As Senate Majority leader McConnell stated during the bill's debate, "Instead of subsidizing a political group [Planned Parenthood] this bill would protect federal funding for health services for women."  The  funds would have gone to community health centers, with priority given to those in rural, under served areas, and hospitals that provide more comprehensive healthcare services than PP.

Why does McConnell call Planned Parenthood a "political group"?  That's a misnomer.  I don't think of PP in those terms.  But if McConnell thinks of that organization in those terms because it provides abortions, then what about hospitals and other medical providers who perform this same procedure AND have massive lobbying groups in DC?  Are THOSE "political groups", too?  Because, you see, rich people get abortion and contraceptive services from somewhere!  But that's OK because they go to for-profit corporations for those things, and that's acceptable, I guess.

Don't forget that in many of these rural and underserved areas that are of such concern to Mr. McConnell, Planned Parenthood IS the "community health center"?  So what does he propose?  Build new ones?  Is he going to find funding for that?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »

Michael:  Abortions are legal.  Now what do you think should be done with the fetus? 

I want to hear it in your words because I can't even put it into words......

Let alone that Planed Parenthood is profiting from them.....

Let's go ... write it!

I'll write it, too.

Abortion is a tragedy.  In all too many cases, it is a necessary evil.  I do not dispute the notion that there are women (and men) who use abortion as birth control and who see it as an inconvenience, but that should NOT mean that abortion should be denied to women who need it. 

Donated fetal tissue should be for research into how to heal people like you and me and the millions of others who suffer from chronic disease and organ failure.  Perhaps the DONATED fetal tissue could hold the key to how to keep all of us off dialysis.

There is still NO evidence that PP is profiting from the "sale" of donated tissue.  States with Republican governors are investigated PP clinics that operate in their states, and as of yet, there is no evidence supporting this claim.  Most states with PP don't even have a tissue donation system.  After all investigations have been completed and PP is cleared, The Center for Medical Progress should be prosecuted.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »

States with Republican governors
This sort of thing is why the Republicans are losing ground.  Lots of people, myself included, are not interested in having the govt tell people how to run their lives; impose their theocratic views on others (I remember Bush Sr. saying he wasn't sure if atheists were citizens); or worry about who is poking who (and not in the cannulation sense of the word).

Unfortunately, the Democrats are into income redistribution / welfare expansion / illegal immigration support /etc. so I am really left with no good choices to vote for (except 3rd parties with no chance of winning a general election)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »

This was a good article from someone with experience working with fetal tissue
http://www.vox.com/2015/8/7/9107913/fetal-tissue-planned-parenthood

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »

I think we are all on the same page except.... if they find PP gets paid for parts.  That is when they need to go to jail and get unfunded.

Same for the people who are accusing the origination if found to be lying.

I would call any organization that donates to a political party "Political".

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cmte=C00314617&cycle=2014

Makes you wonder where they get their extra money....

Gerald Lively

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »

Planned Parenthood!
Planned Parenthood is second only to Benghazi in the fictional scandal category.  Worse, truth is a casualty.
It is not a harvesting of organs, it is tissue that has Stem Cells.  Aside from the obvious that abortions are legal, stem cells are vital to the care of many people.  The stuff I get once a week may be a stem cell potion, I am not quite sure about that. 
A glance at the big picture should tell us all that anti-abortion is the issue and that has a religious basis and I am most vigorously opposed to any religious principle becoming the law of the land.  Yet, there are mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers out there (Tea Part/conservatives) who want to regulate women's health   
Carly Fiorina ran for the senate in California and got her ass whipped.  She was CEO of HP and laid off 20,000 employees and drove HP's stock value to 50% of its top value and is now fabricating Planned Parenthood stories for the purpose of pandering to a segment of voters she thinks is necessary for her chances to be President.  Can yo imagine Fiorina's finger over the nuclear button?
Eight state attorney generals have investigated Planned Parenthood and found no wrong or illegal practices.  Idea:  LEAVE WOMEN'S HEALTH ALONE.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:59 AM »

Oh my God so no one really got killed in Benghazi?  That is so good to here.  Thank you!

Have you watched the tapes?  Are they actors saying lets position the baby so we can get the whole thing for better parts?

We need to defund PP and put that money, that same money into community health centers.

Someone needs to go to jail over this.  The liar whomever needs to go to prison.

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 05:04:33 AM »

The problem with the tapes is that the entire tape has not been released, if the tapes are to be taken seriously release the unedited version.  A Good editor can have people saying something they never said by changing the context or removing parts of the answers.  Why have the entire tapes not been released if the contents are so damning.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:09:24 AM by Michael Murphy » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 07:40:51 AM »

Rerun, here is video of Cecille Richard's testimony in front of the House Committee headed by Jason Chaffetz, so you can have a look and decide for yourself.  Parts of the hearing have already been aired on major news outlets, but if you want to watch the entire thing, here's your chance should you have several hours to spare.

There has not been a single shred of evidence to support the accusation that PP sold body parts, despite hours of investigations that cost a lot of money in those states where the governor demanded one.  So yes, someone should go to jail, and I hope that PP files suit against the guy who started this whole despicable lie.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/28/us/abortion-planned-parenthood-videos.html?_r=0

Surely we'd have heard screams of delight from Congresspeople on the right side of the aisle if such evidence had been unearthed and had been declared credible.

I am not sure how many times it has to be repeated that the US taxpayers do not fund abortions.  The US government does not pay for abortions.  Defunding PP will not stop women from getting abortions. 

If you want to stop unwanted pregnancy, make it mandatory that men wear condoms.  Too many men opt out of taking responsibility for their own health and for birth control.  Some one should ask Jason Chaffetz if he has ever worn a condom. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:46:03 AM by MooseMom » Logged

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »

I read your link but didn't see any video of the testimony.  They say PP doesn't even provide mammograms.  We should defund PP and put the exact money into other community health organizations that do provide ALL women's health issues.  I guess something will happen at the end of all this.

Gerald Lively

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »

Rerun:
Benghazi aka Ben Gazzi:  More Americans died in George W. Bush's revenge on Iraq for 9/11 than died on 9/11 and I see no mourning for those lost lives.  Nor do I see any anger for the 100,000+ Iraqi civilians that died in that ill-advised attack on a sovereign nation.  As for Bengahzi, there was a highly classified CIA operation in an adjacent building within the compound.  CIA official were among the dead.  The secrecy around that operation contributes to the notion "that someone is hiding something" making a non-scandal possible.
As for Planned Parenthood, the courts yesterday directed the maker of the edited film to release all of the film used prior to the editing.  Put on your thinking cap and reason your way through this:  why would it take a court action to make a film editor release his raw material?  If he had nothing to hide, why not just give everyone a chance to see what he had?
PP attacks come down to a single principle, anti-abortion.  The roots of anti-abortion are in religious ideology and this government should not and does not mix religion and government policy, thus abortion is legal in this nation as held by the US Supreme Court. 
Further, using emotional arguments to decide anything in law is a well-know folly.  Let women decide how to run their lives and remember that many conceptions are neither wanted or planned or in the best interests of anyone involved. 

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »

So why can't a woman kill her child or clump of cells at birth?  It is her body....   Where do morals and ethics come from if not God.

Never mind you will never get it.

You think this video guy is trying to hide something but The government is not trying to hid anything about Benghazi.  Try and work yourself through that thought process.

We will see how this all works out.  Maybe all those people on the videos were just actors.  Plus they gave PP like 3 months to shred all the paper work or evidence.  We will see.

Angiepkd

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »

I don't usually comment on these threads, but couldn't help myself.  I am pro-choice.  Planned parenthood is a vitally important resource for lower income women without access to good health care.  That being said, I personally could not have an abortion.  But that is my choice.  I think the real problem with our politicians and our country right now is that we are overly concerned about things that should rank much, much lower on the scale of things that are important.  If someone chooses to have an abortion, that is their choice to make.  It is legal.  I don't care if we allow same sex couples to marry.  I care about gun violence and the heroin epidemic.  I care about schools that can't properly educate our children.  I care about our veterans, many of whom are suffering.  I care about kids who don't have food to eat in a country that wastes more food than any other.  I care about what crazy companies are poisoning our food with. I care about our economy and promoting small businesses.  I care about finding an answer to our immigration problems.  I care about our foreign policies.  Why do we let these less important issues distract us from the things we should be paying attention to when voting for our elected officials?  Let God sort out abortions and gay marriage and keep it out of our government.  Judge not lest.......yadayadayada.  I pray that these few polarizing issues don't distract people from the more important ones, but have little hope of that happening.  It is very frustrating to keep talking about these same issues that aren't even in the top 20 of things we should be worried about.  Apologies if I offended anyone.   Just my opinion.

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 04:00:06 AM »

Abortion is legal. Selling their little body parts is not.  Now maybe the Supreme Court of the Land will make it so.  That will be a bonus for us. 

Lefts don't want God in this country anymore.  Remember that?

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 07:20:15 AM »

Abortion is legal. Selling their little body parts is not.  Now maybe the Supreme Court of the Land will make it so.  That will be a bonus for us. 

Lefts don't want God in this country anymore.  Remember that?

You are right, Rerun; selling body parts is illegal in this country, so thank goodness that the endless investigations here in this country have found that the allegations this is happening have proven to be untrue.

Who are "lefts"?  Whoever they are, that's a pretty sweeping and hyperbolic statement.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »

I don't usually comment on these threads, but couldn't help myself.  I am pro-choice.  Planned parenthood is a vitally important resource for lower income women without access to good health care.  That being said, I personally could not have an abortion.  But that is my choice.  I think the real problem with our politicians and our country right now is that we are overly concerned about things that should rank much, much lower on the scale of things that are important.  If someone chooses to have an abortion, that is their choice to make.  It is legal.  I don't care if we allow same sex couples to marry.  I care about gun violence and the heroin epidemic.  I care about schools that can't properly educate our children.  I care about our veterans, many of whom are suffering.  I care about kids who don't have food to eat in a country that wastes more food than any other.  I care about what crazy companies are poisoning our food with. I care about our economy and promoting small businesses.  I care about finding an answer to our immigration problems.  I care about our foreign policies.  Why do we let these less important issues distract us from the things we should be paying attention to when voting for our elected officials?  Let God sort out abortions and gay marriage and keep it out of our government.  Judge not lest.......yadayadayada.  I pray that these few polarizing issues don't distract people from the more important ones, but have little hope of that happening.  It is very frustrating to keep talking about these same issues that aren't even in the top 20 of things we should be worried about.  Apologies if I offended anyone.   Just my opinion.

It has long been a political tactic (and certainly not only in this country) to divert the voters' attention away from difficult issues (gun control, hunger, crumbling infrastructure, income inequality, reasonable and effective governance) by spending endless time and money in bread and circuses.  Step right up, Kevin McCarthy!  He's said it all.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »

It seems Congress has shelved the topic for now.  But, I want to see someone in jail and that will prove this is not happening. 

I just can't believe this country has starving children when even the homeless I see downtown are on a cell phone.  With all the welfare and soup kitchens and shelters and school breakfasts, lunches and sack dinners and weekend food kits that schools send home every weekend and parks have lunch programs during the summer where are the starving kids in America?

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »

De Tocqueville stated that a democracy can only survive up until the point where the citizenry can vote itself largess form the public treasury.

We are at the point where the govt will issue you an Obama phone if you cannot afford your own.    EBTers are often spotted with their latest model Iphone as well as their govt paid Obama phone.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »

De Tocqueville stated that a democracy can only survive up until the point where the citizenry can vote itself largess form the public treasury.

We are at the point where the govt will issue you an Obama phone if you cannot afford your own.    EBTers are often spotted with their latest model Iphone as well as their govt paid Obama phone.

And there is FOOD.  AND Clothes.  The mission here has a department store in the back for people in need.  The Orchard Owners pay people to come pick apples and can't get anyone.  LAZY   I would go pick apples before I'd lay on the street and starve.  Or let my dog starve. (I don't have kids)

Angiepkd

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »

http://www.ohiofoodbanks.org/sfspsummit/childhunger.pdf   
This link will show you the statistics for Ohio, where I live.  Many people don't qualify for assistance because they are above the income limits.  I find it very disheartening when people say things like "we have missions and food banks".  It isn't as simple as that.  I know that I am a liberal, but I am also a Catholic.  I believe we need God in our country and schools.  We need to fix the problems with welfare abuse.  But for every person you see carrying that obamaphone, remember they are likely to have children who didn't ask to be put in that situation.  Our country and has been so busy fighting amongst ourselves, the kids are the ones who are forgotten.  And just an FYI, Planned Parenthood provides birth control and education to low income women.  I know this first hand, as I have been to a PP in my city to get birth control.  I am beyond blessed that I was able to provide food and a good education for my kids, but there are many who aren't so lucky.  We can blame the parents, Obama, or the liberals for all of these problems, but the bottom line is people who live in poverty and grow up in that system tend to repeat the same pattern as their parents.  Educating and helping the children raised in this environment is the only way to end this cycle.  But it's an enormous job that is so hard to do.  And whether you believe it or not, minorities and low income Americans don't have the same advantages as most of us.  their schools aren't as good, their teachers aren't as good and their parents don't know anything other than what they were brought up with.  Next time you drive downtown in a big city, see if you can find a grocery store.  There are very few.  But you will find dozens of fast food places.  I did my student teaching in a very low income public junior high.  Instead of "home economics", we taught kids how to grocery shop, keep a check book, make home made cleaners, do laundry and bathe properly.  There was a special class for those with children - mind you these are 12-14 year olds.  We must take care of our underprivileged kids to make a change in America.  Sorry for the rant!  Just an issue close to my heart.

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »

With so many being allowed to flood in to our country, I wonder who is going to pay for their dialysis and any other related kidney disease expenses, not to mention their birth control, food and clothing. With so many out of work, it's not like the govt has a stash of money laying around and they cannot just keep printing money.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »

I would like to point out that these republican  politicians in the house who are voting to defund planned parenthood are the same people who voted to cut social security disability next year.  They did this by passing a resolution that when the disability fund runs out of money next year no money can be moved into the disability fund from the regular social security fund.  The disability fund will have to cut every disability check by the percentage of the shortfall.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »