I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:06:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Issues with BCBS
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issues with BCBS  (Read 2993 times)
mrstrekkie84

« on: July 20, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »

Anyone else having problems with Blue Cross Blue Shield? I recently learned that they haven't been paying claims to our dialysis center over the past several months even though they had renewed the contract until August 2015. Supposedly, many patients have been having this problem. A case manager from BCBS called and told us to switch to another dialysis center, one that would be in-network. However, none of the centers suggested offer staff-assisted home hemo. We have Medicare now so I don't understand why BCBS can't cover what Medicare won't. BCBS has been paying for staff-assisted dialysis for almost 2 years so why the sudden change? I'm not getting answers from them so I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem? It would be extremely difficult for us to switch to in-center dialysis at this time.

Also, I want to thank everyone for being supportive and helpful. You guys are awesome!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

I had them tell my the lab my dialysis center used was out of network in late 2013 / early 2014 and had to file an appeal. It was approved after that. This week, I had to file another appeal because the surgeon who removed my parathyroids requested a nuclear scan before surgery and BCBS deemed it unnecessary. It'll be a month before I hear anything back from them. I'm post-transplant now and don't know if that makes a difference. BCBS is my primary until this fall / winter.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
mrstrekkie84

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:47 PM »

I'm currently in the middle of writing an appeal. Wish me luck!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »