I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hi! I'm Ellen Thornton
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi! I'm Ellen Thornton  (Read 2722 times)
ethornton

« on: July 12, 2015, 01:57:07 AM »

Hi!  I'm Ellen Thornton and I HATE DIALYSIS!  I'm not only new to this site, but I've never been on any blog before.  I have no one to talk to about dialysis; everyone at my center is too old for me (I'm only 51.)  I'm going to my first support group meeting at the Loma Linda Transplant center next week but indications are they will be older people too.  I'm hoping a blog will attract people closer to my own age. I've been on hemodialysis for two and a half years because of diabetes.  I like to say, "If there is a complication to diabetes out there, I got it!"  Besides kidney failure, I have retinopathy that has left me nearly blind and  I have neuropathy that has taken away my ability to walk.  I just had my initial assessment for transplant; I was told I was probably too sick to be put on the list!  If I were healthy I probably wouldn't need a transplant!  Then I also found out my health insurance will only cover thirty months of dialysis, which I'm quickly approaching.  I have No government benefits because I was a homemaker my whole life and I'm too young!  Can you tell I need someone to talk to!  I'm SO depressed I almost can't go on!  Thanx for listening!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:59:28 AM »

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to our community!
It's good to have you here.

--Zach
 :wine;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
SooMK

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:15:24 AM »

Welcome Ellen!

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »

Welcome to the site Ellen

:welcomesign;

I'm in the UK so can't reassure you about your insurance situation, but we've loads of people on the site who are. I thought D is covered by Medicaid/care?

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:31:42 AM »

Hello Ellen,
I am also in the UK and I can't give you any idea about your insurance,
but I do hope you find a way to sort it out soon,
because you already have a lot to contend with...
... and I just want to send you my good-luck-wishes
and I keep my fingers crossed for you.
All the best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 04:11:32 AM »

Ellen

Glad you found the site.  You should find lots of information here.

Look at your fellow"older" patients as "more experienced" ... that might help.

Second, I have to believe there is coverage for you out there. Talk to the social worker at the dialysis center. If that does not work try the Kidney foundation web site. They may have guidance. But take charge...... because it may take some digging.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »

Ellen since I am not knowagable about your situation I would advise you to speak to your clinics social worker, but if you have been a homemaker you are ultimately entitled to your partners social security benefits. Pus if you don't have insurance you are eligible for either Medicare or Medicaid. Again the social worker is the person who can give you accurate information.  Helping you is the social workers job.
skinnacat

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »

Hello...i am fairly new also...been here since last fall and i am currently doing pd
I also feel very alone and isolated...like an alien or something.
i am pretty young too i am only 42 and it sucks major bad to be sure!!!!
skinnacat

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »

I wanted to tell you that i also was a homemaker for many years because i had to raise twin
disabled boys and i barely worked. I had to apply for SSI benefits to help pay for my dialysis because i did not have
any health insurance. It was rough for a while because i had to quit my job and wait for my benefits to start up.
So i can kinda relate and i hope u feel better....it really does suck though...no way around it.
honeysuckle417

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »

Hello! I'm not on dialysis, but my ex husband, who I care for does, I'm 50 & he's 53, dialysis for 5 years now, 4 on hemo & 1 home PD. He has the same issues as you, diabetes, eyes & feet. Don't give up.
Do you have kids? Significant other?
I like to talk. You can talk to me.
 :welcomesign;
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 03:00:09 AM »

Ellen I too have been on dialysis for close to 30 months, in January I change to Medicare as primary,  this does not mean you loose insurance. What happens is you must join Medicare and its your primary insurance, your current policy becomes secondary,  it may pay for you to join a Medicare Special Needs Plan.  But you're dialysis center social worker should help you with this,  it is a complicated decision Fresinius has insurance experts that help figure out the best way to go. If you have problems paying for coverage your social worker can help you, The dialysis companies donate money to a kidney fund that helps pay for secondary coverage.  Today I was planning to call my insurance to find out if I should stay with them or get new secondary coverage.  Some plans pay all of what Medicare doesn't and some plans become worthless. Good luck, and get the social worker to help, it's their job.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »