I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 11:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Where to get emergency dental insurance for medicare/medicaid patients?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where to get emergency dental insurance for medicare/medicaid patients?  (Read 3154 times)
jo

« on: June 28, 2015, 03:19:35 AM »

My mom might have a tooth extraction done tomorrow. I do not want the residents do it and I am thinking about taking her to an oral surgeon. Her medicare doesn't cover any dental work. Medicaid does but none of the dentists in our state accept medicaid. Is there a way to get dental insurance at the last minute? If so, how do I do that? Thanks.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »

Monday morning contact your dialysis clinic. Tell your moms problem to the social worker.  She should have access to a insurance expert who will know if Medicare will pay to have the tooth extracted.  Yes Medicare will pay for extractions that are done for medical reasons.  The social worker or the insurance person should be able to help you with this. 

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »

Is there a way to get dental insurance at the last minute? If so, how do I do that? Thanks.
This is like trying to but insurance for a house that is on fire.    Any insurance that allows patients to "self select" will know how to prevent last minute purchases in anticipation of an upcoming big bill (except, of course for Obamacare - and the mandate is about preventing this self selection)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:49:48 AM »

Most extractions are cheap. Our dentist only charges about $150 for 1 tooth extraction.   It is a very simple process in most cases so you really don't need an oral surgeon unless the tooth is impacted or broken off to a stub.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
jo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »

Most extractions are cheap. Our dentist only charges about $150 for 1 tooth extraction.   It is a very simple process in most cases so you really don't need an oral surgeon unless the tooth is impacted or broken off to a stub.
They did x-rays and found a lot of infected tooth (about 10) that needs to come out. The dentist doesn't want to do it and he recommended a oral surgeon. We have an appointment only next week. Do people take tooth out one at a time or all at once?
Paget18

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 01:52:45 AM »

Hey I highly recommend you to consult dentist Hermosa Beach for your mom’s dental treatment. You don’t have to worry about the fees as he charges a reasonable amount for his quality services.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »