I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:27:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Stopping dialysis.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopping dialysis.  (Read 12939 times)
casper2636

« on: June 27, 2015, 06:03:22 AM »

What are (if any) the legal ramifications if I decided I wanted to stop dialysis? Is there any legal or medical body that could stop me from stopping my treatments if I had had enough? The information being presented for the "Right To Die" makes me wonder what are my rights as a dialysis patient living from one treatment to the next. Am I able to decide when I have had enough? Would my family members be liable? Would it be considered suicide, because, technically, I would have been dead years ago without treatment. I'm just wondering....
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:16:43 AM »

Dialysis is considered "Life Support" and it is your right to quit.

Here is more discussion:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1113.0

Hang in there.  To me it just seems more natural to keep on breathing....

:flower;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 07:03:14 PM »

I have informed my family that when I have had enough I will quit.
Be sure family is aware of your wishes or they can over ride what you want with the doctors.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:56:15 AM »

What are (if any) the legal ramifications if I decided I wanted to stop dialysis? Is there any legal or medical body that could stop me from stopping my treatments if I had had enough? The information being presented for the "Right To Die" makes me wonder what are my rights as a dialysis patient living from one treatment to the next. Am I able to decide when I have had enough? Would my family members be liable? Would it be considered suicide, because, technically, I would have been dead years ago without treatment. I'm just wondering....

I am wondering about similar questions on my "down-days" ... and on my "up-days" I firmly believe that I am doing quite alright
and because of that I am very grateful that dialysis was invented and that it is there to give me another chance... :grouphug;
... Of course we live from one treatment to the next, but if you count the hours of dialysis plus transport, in my case ~18 hours per week,
all that seems not too much - as long as my body continues to be able and takes-up the challenge every time ...
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
OlManRivah

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »

Hang in there.  Look around! There's a lot of folks worse off than us. . . . :beer1;

Country boys can survive!
Hootie

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »

Got to hang in there.....all of the patients and care givers have some bad days and some more than others. The alternative is not good...

If you are doing in center and can do at home give that a try....It has been much better for us...

Try a different method...Treatments like PD work better for some, others like in center, others like nocturnal, while we prefer at home....Our schedule and the after effects of treatment are much less for the NxStage at home.

We do not know your situation and what you are going through, but please look at all the options before reaching the stop conclusion.

Keep talking on here...people will love  and support you!  :clap;

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »

Keep up the fight casper ........... Like your signature says .. here is  a smile for you.  :waving;

Talk to folks on here ... Like others said try a different method for awhile. We are doing home with Next Stage and it has become a routine.

Like others also said ..."it seems more natural to keep breathing".....

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »

Hang in there.  Look around! There's a lot of folks worse off than us. . . . :beer1;

Definitely.   Look at ALS patients, or some forms of MS.  Those people can degrade to the point where they lose even the ability to end their own life if they so choose.   Us dialysis patients can even do that legally (by discontinuing treatment).   For us, each day is a choice - and I choose to treat and live.

NxStage is giving me a pretty decent life, which will get better once I get the go-ahead for nocturnal.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »

Hello again Casper,
... I was just thinking what you mentioned earlier
and then I thought of the time when I started to teach myself how to read and write music
and how to play the piano - and I started with it just after I was diagnosed with the devastating news of end-stage-kidney-failure...
...  I thought at that time that it could be vital for me to learn something new
and to try and make some progress in an effort to “hang on” to life...
... Just a little while ago I played a very new piece of music I had never come across before
and I played it on the piano directly from the score with both hands at the same time ... and it sounded very beautiful...
... Just imagine: if I would have “thrown in the towel” earlier, I would never have had the chance
to experience such a beautiful moment and play on the piano a beautiful piece of music directly whilst studying the score at the same time ...
Best wishes from Kristina.  :grouphug;

P.S.
... The thoughts in this thread remind me of the thoughts of one of my favourite poets
Nazim Hikmet (Thessaloniki 1902 - 1963 Moscow) when he wrote to his friends from the prison-infirmary:
... Being captured is beside the point:
The point is not to surrender...!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:17:30 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:22:52 AM »

I have thought about this in depth, at several points in my dialysis career.
A decision to stop treatment (which is yours alone to make) should not be taken lightly but if on balance, the quality of life you are achieving is not enough (and we can only decide that ourselves)
we should be supported through our decision to stop.
We actually have a designated End of Life nurse at our main unit.

I think I would find a hospice place and move in their so that I could be as comfortable as possible.
Make sure my affairs were in order as much as possible and write down my wishes as well.

This is a subject most people don't like to talk about but I think it should be possible to be in control of your treatment and to have some dignity at the end.
Our choices and our measure of the quality of our lives should be respected.

For me, it is not dialysis at any price but only if I can achieve a reasonable quality of life.
My thoughts are with you  :cuddle;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »

I find the never ending treadmill of dialysis very depressing.  I have learned to fret about dialysis one week at a time.  Every Friday I celebAte being Done and loudly announce I won't be coming back this week.  This seem to give me a feeling of closure and completion.  Nexts week is next weeks problem.  The other thing I focus on is Dialysis is about 18 hours a week for me( set up, treatment, holding) that leaves me 150 hours a week to have a life.  This disease would depress a saint,  I find it important to focus on goals a week at at a time and how important the rest of my time is.good luck I hope you find a way to deal with this, there is joy to be had in this world and I hope you can find a share of it.
Alex C.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:30:32 AM »

Since my kidney affliction is hereditary, I have family history concerning ancestors who died of "Bright's disease", and a fairly vivid recollection of my grandfather's death from kidney failure in the late 1940's written by my grandmother to my mother when her kidneys failed. She also mentioned that my grandfather's father himself died in his late 40's from "Bright's disease" (probably about 1915), which left his family destitute.

No, as crappy as living on dialysis may be, it's better than the alternative.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »

There must be something wrong with me, since this dialysis thing has not caused any depression - and I know it should.

BUT... the only thing that kept me undepressed when I was in-center was the fact that my doc was working to get me set up for home treatment (I chose to delay training until I was off the cath and on the fistula).
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 12:36:14 AM »

Home dialysis is much better at keeping control of your treatment and doing it when you want...
I try not to think about the future too much ... because it depresses me too much.
I cope only because I have really good support.

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 01:50:31 AM »

Home dialysis is much better at keeping control of your treatment and doing it when you want...
I try not to think about the future too much ... because it depresses me too much.
I cope only because I have really good support.

Well put Sugar!
Support is most important !
I can well imagine that without support dialysis-life could become extremely difficult ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
OlManRivah

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 04:16:13 PM »

I treat Dialysis like going to work.  It doesn't depress me at all.  Anyone that tells me it depresses them, I say look around, there's a lot of folks worse off!   :beer1;

Country boys can survive!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 04:45:04 AM »

I treat Dialysis like going to work.  It doesn't depress me at all.  Anyone that tells me it depresses them, I say look around, there's a lot of folks worse off!   :beer1;

It was my psych woman who asked me if it was a good idea to see it like that cos it comes close to making people feel guilty about feeling depressed about 'just' dialysis. Besides that I know very few people who 'only' are depressed because of 'only' dialysis

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 12:49:51 AM »

It was my psych woman who asked me if it was a good idea to see it like that cos it comes close to making people feel guilty about feeling depressed about 'just' dialysis. Besides that I know very few people who 'only' are depressed because of 'only' dialysis

Hello cassandra,
It is interesting what the "psych woman" told you and being depressed about dialysis is rarely due to "only" one point,
because the start of dialysis involves a complete change of life-style with a new routine coming in to play a most important part...
I would be interested to find out what else the "psych woman" mentioned about coping mentally with dialysis?

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 05:56:12 AM »

Actually very much like work.  Plus since I am on dialysis and 64 put in for Social Securiy Disability, so I also get paid for Dialysis.  When you get right down to it, it reminds me of being 20 and looking forward to working for the next fourty five years.   Besides its Friday and I am done wit dialysis for this week.
casper2636

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »

Thanks, all, for your support. I guess I'm thinking about dialysis the wrong way. I'm just not sure what I feel (you'd think after 5 years I would!).

I know that, mentally, I go to treatments kicking and screaming. I just can't figure out if I'm kicking and screaming to stay alive, or to let go. For now, I'm just taking it one day at a time, one breath at a time.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 12:29:25 AM »

:grouphug;                       :grouphug;                               :grouphug;

:grouphug;... and all the best wishes from Kristina ...  :grouphug;
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:30:26 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 02:12:02 AM »

Thanks, all, for your support. I guess I'm thinking about dialysis the wrong way. I'm just not sure what I feel (you'd think after 5 years I would!).

I know that, mentally, I go to treatments kicking and screaming. I just can't figure out if I'm kicking and screaming to stay alive, or to let go. For now, I'm just taking it one day at a time, one breath at a time.

Sometimes we have to get angry, to grieve over the effect of dialysis, the lack of control over what is happening and the sheer unfairness of it all, before we can pass into acceptance.

I clearly remember the dragging myself in kicking and screaming to dialysis phase, I would plan escaping, getting in my car and driving into the sunrise on a dialysis morning... ( it's a coping mechanism)
As you say. take it one session at a time... and make the most of your non-dialysis days. Be gentle on yourself  :cuddle;

10 years of half a life
Athena

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 03:43:40 AM »

I think we all pretty much do that Caspar, even if we're not on dialysis. I am always kicking and screaming to get my next lab tests done and practically feel like I only really live in between those dreaded times. None of us want to be doing this, but we just somehow find our little coping mechanisms that get us through each day. I also tend to avoid thinking of the future & find that just living each day is the best strategy of coping.

Do you have little pleasures & joys that help you get through each day?

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »

:grouphug;              :grouphug;

Lots of love, strength, and luck to everybody, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
irvinsen5

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »

That's a brilliant way of looking at it!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »