I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Texture Issues, any diet help?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Texture Issues, any diet help?  (Read 5712 times)
BastetsEye

« on: June 18, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »

Hi,

For those that didn't read my introduction, I'm Autistic and struggle with certain textures. The big one being anything wet, which as you can imagine limits what I can eat, and what I can eat isn't the healthiest. I was wondering if anyone had any simple healthy recipes that I could make (at the moment I am without a working oven till I move which could take a while so microwavable foods or non cooked would be good for now, but oven cooked would be also appreciated for later).

For more information, I cannot eat food which are wet or I sometime even struggle with slimy. I only eat one brand of noodle and that's because I can put the bare minimum amount of water and then microwave it, which absorbs the water. I use the bare minimum amount of milk on cereals, most vegetables are too slimy when cooked for me to eat but I dislike the taste of most vegetables raw, baring mushroom which I like but know are bad for me. I can handle spreads like peanut butter and marmite as they tend to be quite dry in texture for me, but even with those I have to spread them very thinly. Soups and stews are obviously out with me.

Mostly I just eat meat and potatoes (but not mashed, because...wet) with the occasional noodles, eggs and sausage roll, which I know is not exactly healthy for me.

I'm asking here as my dietitian is not exactly helpful and as I have communication issues I struggle to explain myself very well.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »

Can you describe a couple of typical meals and how you prepare them?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
BastetsEye

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:05:56 AM »

Well at the moment my dad's off sick so I eat at his place on Dialysis days. So he cooks for me on his oven, which tends to be boiled potatoes and meat, occasionally chips and meat, or  an omelette with potatoes and red onions, he's not a lover of vegetable or really healthy eating himself.

When I'm at home I tend to just eat microwave noodles with below the line of water they recommend, put in. Alternatively I'll just have a sausage roll or a turkey sandwich without butter. Sometimes I'll have microwave chips.

Even when I had a working oven I didn't really use it, but I would like to change that when I get a new one when I move.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:24:05 AM »

most vegetables are too slimy when cooked for me to eat but I dislike the taste of most vegetables raw

Maybe you could try to add dehydrated vegetables to your diet?  That would address the "wet" concern and also should change the taste a bit, hopefully in a good way.  Also adding some dehydrated fruit would be good, but not too much since those are very high in (natural) sugar. Things like dried berries and cherries will have added sugar and likely are not as good for you.  For example these days they sell kale chips which are dehydrated kale leaves in chucks, usually with some sort of savory coating dusted on.  Health food store, and more premium stores should have a good selection of dehydrated vegetables, including peas, swash etc...

Here are some Google photos so you can get an idea of what I'm suggesting:
Kale:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dehydrated+kale&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X=1000&bih=556

Vegetable chips
https://www.google.com/search?q=dehydrated+vegetable+chips&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X=1000&bih=556

Food
https://www.google.com/search?q=dehydrated+food&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X=1000&bih=556
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:27:40 AM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »

I had the same idea as iolare. Vegetable chips don't taste much like vegetables.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/80400/make-your-own-veggie-chips-2/

Just be aware that the chips will have more potassium in them than eating a full vegetable. This might actually be a good thing for you since you could eat less of them and still get the nutrients you're looking for.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
BastetsEye

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »

Thank you both,  I'll have to try them.

My dad has concerns that since they are dehydrated they'll absorb more water from my body which won't be good for my kidneys, do you know of anyway to reassure him?
PaulBC

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »

My dad has concerns that since they are dehydrated they'll absorb more water from my body which won't be good for my kidneys, do you know of anyway to reassure him?

I'm not a doctor, but usually the problem with kidney disease is retaining water. I don't think you can absorb a significant amount of water from your body by eating dehydrated vegetables. If you can, it sounds like it could be an emergency plan if dialysis is unavailable (but again... not a doctor... do not try this at home!).

I am also curious about potatoes, because they are usually on the avoid list due to their potassium content.
BastetsEye

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »

I was told boiled potatoes are the best if I have to have potatoes as they have less potassium than the other kind. The thing is if I didn't have potatoes my diet would be poorer for it, a case of it being bad but not the worst thing I could be doing since my diet is so limited. (Plus I'm half Irish, the idea of no potatoes, literally causes me to get emotional!)

I was on a restricted amount at one point, but then they said since my potassium levels were actually quite good considering that I could stop restricting and they would just continue to  monitor the situation, and only if the levels became bad would I have to restrict myself again.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »

You need help with this subject,  Great Britian has several major organization for kidney patients.BKPA (British Kidney Patients Assc.) and the NKF (National Kidney Foundation). These both supply phone counseling for Kidney Patients.  The problem seems to be the clinic you are using wants a one type of patient that fits a one type of treatment.  Every patient is different and needs to be treated as such.  Your Autism is a medical condition that imposes limits on your diet choices.  Please contact some one who will act as your advocate.  In the U.S. Lawyers would be lining up because of the American with Disability Act.  I am not sure what is required ion the other side of the Atlantic but I think Your needs are real and should be met at your clinic.  From lack of diet help to the failure to understand the need for continuity in your life I am not getting a good feeling about your clinic.  Please find a advocate who can present your side.  Maybe one of our British comrades can give you the people to call.thoughts and prayers go out to you since ESRD by it self is a large burden combined with autism I can't imagine how hard it is.   :grouphug;

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:50:39 PM by Michael Murphy » Logged
BastetsEye

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:12:23 PM »

Unfortunately I'm not good at talking on a phone, but I'll bring it up with my dad and see if he'll help.

As for my clinic, they are understaffed and are NHS so it could be a lot worse, as it is most problems I have are things I can handle.

Thank you all the same.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »

I like to cook a pot roast in a crock pot/slow cooker on low for several hours. I usually add salt-free seasoning, a little water and some vegetables but you could just throw a hunk of beef in all by itself and then eat it "dry". Some cuts of beef are nice and "stringy" after being cooked and can easily be pulled apart and they are dry. Another idea (and you probably already know this) but protein bars and fiber bars might be good for you. Maybe you could ask your dietician about that. My husband is on dialysis and eats a lot of those because he needs the protein and fiber. I like cooking with a crock pot/slow cooker because you plug it in, can basically throw whatever you want in it and it's a lot cooler than being around a hot oven or stove. It also makes for easy cleanup. My main goal these days is to make life as simple and easy as possible. Someone told me they use the "KISS" method, telling me it means "keep it simple stupid". I like that! 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »