I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Donation given and received
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donation given and received  (Read 2201 times)
justagirl2325

« on: May 21, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »

Back in October 2014 we lost a family member in an accident (my brother in law).  He was only 42.  An autopsy had to be done so although his family wanted to donate his organs, in the end all they could donate was his eyes (not that I mean to dismiss that).

Not six weeks later his best friend suffered a ruptured aeorta and passed away after 2 weeks on life support.  His family was able to donate many of his organs.  His son posted a picture on facebook of the letter they received from the recipient of the kidney who was on dialysis.  I thought I would share it.  I hope I'm not breaking any confidences as I guess it could have gone to someone that is registered / reads this site? 

Dear Donor’s Family
It has been 3 months since I was given your gift.  After 6 years of infections, surgery, dialysis and many times, a loss of will to live I am a new person thanks to you.  In that 3 months  I have lived more and done more than I did in the last 6 years…and this, while I am still healing.  The reactions from my friends in my change has been awesome.  They tell me I glow and everyone notices.   Even people I don’t know when they find out what I have been through is heart-warming and brought a lot of awareness to organ donating.  Your gift has changed my life and I do not have the words to express how grateful I am.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:40:05 PM by justagirl2325 » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »

How very bittersweet.  I'm so glad you shared this with us.

If you are active on Facebook or some other form of social media, would you consider posting this on your timeline so that even more people could see it?  I take every opportunity I can to work transplantation into any conversation!  LOL!  For instance, last year around St. Patrick's day my husband and I went into a local coffee shop.  The manager had put up a large blackboard and had set aside a basket of colored chalk.  He'd also put up a sign that encouraged customers to write what good luck had recently befallen them.  I wrote that I had recently received a new kidney.  The coffee shop was quite busy so I did not expect anyone to notice what I had written, but much to my surprise, several people actually applauded.  I like to think that later that evening they added their names to the state organ registry.

Again, thank you for posting this wonderful letter.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »

Very nice to read.  Thank you for sharing.

:grouphug;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »