I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Fistula Surgery
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Surgery  (Read 3187 times)
cchalk11

« on: May 14, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »

Hello, I'm getting my fistula surgery at the end of the month. My surgeon is going to make 3 2in cuts in my forearm. How many cuts did your surgeon make for your fistula. And is dialysis painful when you first start? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Hootie

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »

Dialysis is not painful for me.....but I am the caregiver... :bandance; my wife says the tourniquet and the stick is the tougher part.. She says it is really not that painful. As the dentist says....it's just a little pinch. You will do fine. Her fistula was in her upper arm bicep. One incision across the arm above the elbow. It looked nasty with swelling, black and blue coloring all sealed with super glue. Appearance was the worst part. It was fine and is working great after it matured. Need to give it time to mature to make sticking easier.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
cchalk11

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »

Hootie how long did it take to mature.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »

I had mine installed several years before I started dialysis it was a minor procedure.  Mine was mature before I started dialysis.  Dialysis is annoying and tedious I feel it's still better than a dental appointment.  The thing about pain is based on how you react to needles.  Some people claim it hurts.  If you are worrIed have your doctor prescribe a lydacane cream that is applied over your fistula before dialysis.  As to starting dialysis the worse thing is the fear of the unknown I would recommend visiting the diAlysiS center prIor to starting in order to learn about the procedure.  I was terrorized on my first time all based on not knowing.   It's better to not need dialysis but if you need it iTs better to go.
Hootie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 06:17:58 AM »

"Our" fistula was done  August 26th and put into service on October 6th at center.  In my opinion that is way early to start using. We had issues sticking the veinous portion due to the immaturity and it being small. The in center guys had a hard time using at times. The cardio surgeon was not happy when he heard the nephrologist gave the okay to start then. But we had to go started based on the clinical numbers and the health of my wife. Veinous was hard to find initially as my wife has small arms. After it matured well, we really had no issues. Think the consensus is to get it done early for it to heal, mature and get stronger. Most feel a minimum of 12 weeks but the longer the better.

Once you get it done and comfortable with the  the process, life will get more routine in your new world. All the best to you.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
cchalk11

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »

Thanks guys. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »