I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:41:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  HIGH UREA NITROGEN…..MEANS WHAT?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HIGH UREA NITROGEN…..MEANS WHAT?  (Read 3193 times)
MuddyGurl

« on: May 10, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »

Mu Urea Nitrogen is high at 37 now..  the blood tests show the Normal range as 10--24.

In looking at tests from 2012.   since then it went from 22 to 29, 30 and  this ebruary 2015 from  31 to 37 In April.

So my body is not handling protein well?    YOUR EXPERIENCE?

I called the scientist at Calwood Nutritionals who made the original amino acids for Dr. Walser's low protein kidney saving diet in 1980s
This is what he said.  Despite many Nephs saying low protein doesnt work..he is adamant, and it has saved his own life! >20 year on VLP

My DIET has been lower in protein  the last year -mainly small amounts of meat, a chicken thigh, or half of of a breast. rarely red meat.

I switched to an all plant diet with hemp seed protein last month, which I love, and am hoping that helps on my next test..
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:13:37 AM »

Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) is a blood test run in most labs.  It is an indicator of kidney function.

Here is "one" link.  But you can Google Blood Urea Nitrogen to find more.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/blood-urea-nitrogen/basics/results/prc-20020239

MuddyGurl

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:57:01 AM »

Thanks Rerun…i stared searching for info, and I see that "not handling protein well"  is one big reason. My diet has been lower meat protein in the past anyway, and most days I was eating<70, then went to 60, and am now attempting to stay around 40-45. and eliminated meat and even fish as too high in pure protein.

Dr Walser  of Coping with Kidney Disease book, Johns Hopkins researcher for 45 years, advised a super low protein diet for the severity of CKD I have, with added amino acids. Very interesting…..research shows these AAs you take in pill or powder form did not exist before the 80s. His work with a chemist at Calwood Nutritionals seem to be the FIRST  barely tolerable tasting AAs….apparently the taste of them was so bad people complained they'd rather die than take them…that is a serious comment I'd say.

Now you can  find several brands in the HFS.  and it doesn't seem quite safe to just self medicate.   and how VLP is too low, when do you start to damage heart muscle? how much is too much AA….. and low protein theory of kidney salvation has been left in the dust in the last 20 years, but I am not sure I trust this modern approach.  so there are few resources to turn to on using such a regimen.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »