I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Outfoxing Stage IV by Hiding in the Tree of Life
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Outfoxing Stage IV by Hiding in the Tree of Life  (Read 1933 times)
MuddyGurl

« on: May 06, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »

When I had kidney cancer I considered myself a warrior, and I won the battle, now one kidney, no cancer. I did everything I needed from ramping up education and research, diet, losing 35 pounds, meditation,  seeing a naturathic MD exercise, supplements, anything and everything because I needed control. and it worked in 2010.

After learning I was already Stage 3b in 2012 and NOT told, we fast forward, recently slipping from 32 to Stage 4 egfr 29, then 26.  I am approaching CKD in a much different manner.

Have you seen  what all the millions of nephrons look like in a kidney?  They look like the most amazing bare tree in deep winter.. silhouetted branches spreading out, finer and finer in a soft  rounded tree shape..that is how I view my sole kidney.  I will not fight with it, I am seeking a peaceful answer to assisting it in lasting as long as possible.  After  the shocking   3pt. drop from Feb to March, in 30 days I switched to a a vegetarian diet with low protein and supplemented with amino acids ( Dr. Walser's advice)  and went proactive again.

I tapered myself off an anxiety med, I stopped acetaminophen with a  mild sleep aid, and went back to melatonin, I  learned I am probably deeply Magnesium deficient (severe leg cramps), now supplementing,  and I have been very fatigued.  all the signs of a failing kidney.

But with a nutritional ketosis diet I FEEL absolutely amazing, so much mental energy, as a writer/researcher I can spend hours deep in Pubmed and Renal News finding more and more useful data.  So I was and am still confused on how sick I really am..

Dr. Jason Fung, the wildly popular Canadian nephrologsit is 'converting' very sick and obese diabetics into healthy people with fasting and low carb diets.  totally removing grains, sugars, fruits, carbs from their diet.[intensive dietary management site]

BUT even he has told me directly  by email I CAN'T DO ANYTHING to improve my kidney at this point. My weight is the  defeating factor. I DO NOT wish to believe him, expert tho he is.

So I am looking lovingly at my poor struggling kidney and finding a softer way to save it, and myself  from dialysis for as long as possible.

The short story is in January 2015 I decided to  abandon all the  USDA healthy plate high carbs nonsense that only made me fatter and chose intermittent fasting an 8/16 regimen, and then Low Carb, Healthy Fats diet.   I quickly lost 13 pounds, my BP was doing good, LDL/HDL, sleep..all very good.  but blood sugar? welllll… I dont trust what the harried MDS say..I AM getting closer to  diabetic every minute I am over 100 fasting or not.

During the annual renal panel my eGFR  29 suddenly shows a 3 pt drop since 6/2014.. I ask for another  one, now it is 26!!!   NOW the urologist  is willing to send me to a Nephrologist again after THREE years of slow drop and NO councel?

I have a  third renal panel next week, and I will know if the  eGFR 26 was a blip down, or not.   I 'think' my off loading my kidney with a no meat diet may have helped some over the last 3 weeks.

I am HOPING to learn from all of you…it seems I must also FEEL sick to be close to  dialysis prep? Other than fatigue I am wondering if  I am worried too soon, I see some can hang in the mid 20s for years..everyone is different.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:02:53 AM by MuddyGurl » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »

Welcome Muddygurl, I'm so glad you found us.  We have talked a little thru PM and I think you will enjoy this site.  You have a lot to share and I am looking forward to it.

Welcome - Rerun, Admin.   :welcomesign;

:flower;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »

Hi Muddygurl,
Welcome to our community!

--Regards,
--Zach

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 05:38:53 PM »

:welcomesign; to IHD!

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:44:38 AM »

Hi, and welcome to IHD...

Good to have you here....

Darth... Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »