I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 09:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Just drank my first Nepro shake.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just drank my first Nepro shake.....  (Read 10962 times)
Alex C.

« on: May 04, 2015, 05:47:24 AM »

...and I'm thinking, "man, this would be nice with a shot of brandy and a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg on top!"

'Nepro Alexanders', anybody???
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

I think most nutritional shakes could use some serious alcohol. I don't like drinking vitamins.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02:19 PM »

Then it WOULD be worth $4 a can. 

Yummy!                 :flower;

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »

Is this one of those protein meal in a can things designed for weight conscious people?

I've been wondering about buying the large can of protein powder currently one an end aisle at the local WallMart.  Currently my labs are fine, but sometimes my protein takes a small dip.  Maybe a daily dose would help?

No idea of the taste.  If not so hot maybe I could put it in the blender with some frozen strawberrie, banana, and a scoop of yugert.  THAT usually tase pretty good.  I like and excuse to make one every day.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:44:12 AM »

Hello Alex,
I remember noticing all sorts of drinks and potions offered with the promise (for plenty of money)
to "keep my kidneys functioning" much longer ...
... In the beginning I felt a little bit insecure about all these tempting promises
and I seriously wondered whether I should try out any of these expensive offers ...
... after all, I was prepared to try just about anything in an effort to keep "my two little fighters" functioning for as long as possible ...
... But then I thought again and became a little bit more hardened when I realized
that for plenty of money anything imaginable could (and certainly would) be offered ...
... and if any of these promises were really true, it would be in the headlines and in the world-news by now ...
... And so it came about, that I continued with my easy digestable vegetarian diet,
which assisted my body (and my injured kidneys) quite a lot over the years...
... Being on dialysis now, I still continue eating the same easy digestable vegetarian diet and it continues to help a lot...
and there is no doubt that I shall continue with the same easy digestable vegetarian diet after my transplant ...
Best wishes and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:45:23 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:47:58 AM »

Hello again Alex,
... and if you are trying out these drinks and potions in a effort to keep your kidney function going,
please do read the small print of these products very carefully...
... and please look-up on the Internet the latest research about diet in kidney failure:
it has been noticed that an easy digestable (no garlic)   vegetarian diet is advisable for patients with injured kidneys ...
Best wishes and food luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Alex C.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:22:45 AM »

Is this one of those protein meal in a can things designed for weight conscious people?

I've been wondering about buying the large can of protein powder currently one an end aisle at the local WallMart.  Currently my labs are fine, but sometimes my protein takes a small dip.  Maybe a daily dose would help?

No idea of the taste.  If not so hot maybe I could put it in the blender with some frozen strawberrie, banana, and a scoop of yugert.  THAT usually tase pretty good.  I like and excuse to make one every day.

No, it's one of those protein/calorie meals designed for people on dialysis.

Bananas and yogurt both contain a LOT of potassium. Those cheap 'protein powders' are mostly milk-solid proteins, which are also waaay-high in potassium. Keep eating like that, and you'll end up with hyperkalemia.
noahvale
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:31:15 AM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:33:11 AM by noahvale » Logged
noahvale
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 05:33:20 AM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:32:52 AM by noahvale » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »

It just figures.  If I like something, I shouldn't have it!

But I was taught "All things in maderation".  So one every couple of months is a real treat.  Just don't do it the night before they draw blood for labs.

My phosphorous has gone back down to within allowable levels.  Lucky for me as I don't think I remembered to take the binders ten times over the last three months.  I still don't know what it was I had been eating that jacked it up.  Maybe those gum drops, spice drop, and the fruit flavored wedges.  You know, like the orange slices.  I was going through bags of each of them, a phase, then I was done with them.  Gave the Granson a BIG bag that I mixed the remainer of each bag in.  He pigged for a little while, then walked away from them, sated.  Gramma is snacking on them now.

Surprisingly, though diabetic, these things being coated with sugar, did not raise my blood sugars hardly, just a few #'s, not even tens.  I guess the sorta gummy substance isn't so sugar loaded as I had thought.

Still have my bag of licorice 'bird' eggs.  Couple every night is all.  When this bag is done I still have the ZipLock full from Daughter.  They like the jelly beans but won't touch licorice, so they bag all them up and save them for me.

I found a couple small hits of licorice works great to calm an upset stomach.  Used it on the young grandkid, he said it worked.  I keep them put up so he can't eat too many and actually get sick.  It is easy to O.D. on licorice.

Currently out of small chocolates, but I have a 'stash' of bars put up.  As long as I know they are there I won't eat them.  But run out, and you can be SURE the next time out of the house I WILL get some and eat it ON THE SPOT.

Us ex-druggies still have some other strange addictions.  Clean since Sept 81, and never even one meeting.

Take Care,

Charlie B
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »

I love those orange slices. I used to eat them at work when I wanted to nibble. Eventually I overloaded and had to give them a break.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »

Hello again Alex,
... and if you are trying out these drinks and potions in a effort to keep your kidney function going,
please do read the small print of these products very carefully...
... and please look-up on the Internet the latest research about diet in kidney failure:
it has been noticed that an easy digestable (no garlic)   vegetarian diet is advisable for patients with injured kidneys ...
Best wishes and food luck from Kristina. :grouphug;

http://nepro.com/

Hello noahvale,
I have studied the information you have so kindly supplied and I thank you very much for it ...
... another mentionable point from my side would be that I have learned over the years to consider food as "Fuel For My Body" and nothing else...
...  I have also learned (grudgingly at first) to arrange myself with the limitations of "my" ESRF and enjoy many other things, like for example
to take on a new and very difficult piece of music and dare to learn it on the piano all on my own without any teacher...
or I go and enjoy a classical concert again or I go for a picturesque walk etc... or I visit again a few very special paintings or special Sculptures
in Galleries/Museums, which have become "old friends" over many years ...
I have trained myself over the years to look at my food as "Fuel for My Body" and nothing else...
... and this attitude has helped me that "my" ESRF has become much more bearable ...
Good wishes and all the best from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Athena

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:48 AM »

Hello Alex,
I remember noticing all sorts of drinks and potions offered with the promise (for plenty of money)
... In the beginning I felt a little bit insecure about all these tempting promises
and I seriously wondered whether I should try out any of these expensive offers ...
... after all, I was prepared to try just about anything in an effort to keep "my two little fighters" functioning for as long as possible ...
... But then I thought again and became a little bit more hardened when I realized
that for plenty of money anything imaginable could (and certainly would) be offered ...
... and if any of these promises were really true, it would be in the headlines and in the world-news by now ...
... And so it came about, that I continued with my easy digestable vegetarian diet,
... Being on dialysis now, I still continue eating the same easy digestable vegetarian diet and it continues to help a lot...
and there is no doubt that I shall continue with the same easy digestable vegetarian diet after my transplant ...

Hi Kristina. I've been reading up on dialysis treatment & I always read the advice that people on dialysis need to eat far more protein than what they used to be able to eat. I wonder whether your low protein vegetarian diet still works for you now that you're on D, whether your care team has suggested increasing your protein intake now?
Just wondering. Hope my question does not feel intrusive.
All the best.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Alex C.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 05:23:28 AM »

quote:" I guess the sorta gummy substance isn't so sugar loaded as I had thought."

Ummm..actually, that "gummy substance" is corn starch, which is nearly pure carbohydrate. Absolutely the WORST thing a diabetic should be eating. I think I can see how you developed type 2 diabetes now......
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 07:27:50 AM »

As the temperature outside finally gets warmer, maybe you can try my High-Protein Chocolate Whey Ice Cream!
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=19750.msg494080#msg494080

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »

Still have my bag of licorice 'bird' eggs.  Couple every night is all.  When this bag is done I still have the ZipLock full from Daughter.  They like the jelly beans but won't touch licorice, so they bag all them up and save them for me.

I found a couple small hits of licorice works great to calm an upset stomach.  Used it on the young grandkid, he said it worked.  I keep them put up so he can't eat too many and actually get sick.  It is easy to O.D. on licorice.

Interestly, black licorice can lower your potassium.  Though "foods that advertise themselves as “licorice” or “licorice flavor” use anise oil, not true black licorice."

From the Cleveland Clinic:
“Black licorice contains a compound that comes from licorice root that can lower your potassium levels. Lower potassium levels can cause those abnormal heart arrhythmias,” says registered dietitian Kate Patton from Cleveland Clinic’s Section of Preventive Cardiology.

FDA experts say black licorice contains the compound glycyrrhizin, which is the sweetening compound derived from the licorice root.

The compound can cause potassium levels in the body to decrease. When this happens, some people experience abnormal heart rhythms."

For more:
http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/11/how-black-licorice-can-make-your-heart-jump/

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
PaulBC

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 04:29:44 PM »

How can you lower potassium other than eliminating it, mostly in urine? It's an element, so there is no way to break it down into anything else. My guess would be that licorice could stimulate healthy kidneys to take more potassium out of the blood, but wouldn't have much effect if you had no other way to take it out.

I did a little searching and couldn't find a complete explanation, but livestrong has an article "High Potassium & Black Licorice" that says:
Consuming excess amounts of black licorice can lower high potassium levels in your blood because of a compound known as glycyrrhizic acid. This acid has effects similar to a hormone known as aldosterone that works to stimulate your kidneys to release potassium.

If you were relying on dialysis without any residual kidney function, my guess is that it would not have much effect. (Note that I am not a doctor, and I'm just guessing.)
noahvale
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:32:06 AM by noahvale » Logged
Athena

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »

On the subject of potassium excretion, I have noticed that Licorice is a commonly prescribed herb in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It does have blood potassium lowering effects - as well as many other effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycyrrhiza_uralensis

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 01:31:01 AM »

Hello Alex,

Hi Kristina. I've been reading up on dialysis treatment & I always read the advice that people on dialysis need to eat far more protein than what they used to be able to eat. I wonder whether your low protein vegetarian diet still works for you now that you're on D, whether your care team has suggested increasing your protein intake now?
Just wondering. Hope my question does not feel intrusive.
All the best.

Hello Athena
I also have been reading that dialysis patients need more protein and because of my strict vegetarian diet I asked doctors about it.
They had a close look at my blood-test-results and advised me to "continue what I am doing" because my vegetarian diet works very well for me...
... But I have noticed that after starting with dialysis in mid-December 2014, my body became more vulnerable and much more oversensitive
and "my" Systemic Lupus (SLE) and MCTD showed unmistakable signs of oncoming flare-ups ...  As a result of these oncoming flare-up-symptoms
my husband and I researched further and the result of our research was that I continue with my strict vegetarian diet, but I also eat gluten-free...
... and I have now noticed that these flare-up-signs have calmed down a lot and my body takes favouribly to my vegetarian-gluten-free-diet
and is able to deal with each dialysis-session a little easier...
...It all seems to be a never-ending process of re-adjustments, re-assessments and re-learning as we go (and sometimes limp) along...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14:15 AM »

... Interestingly enough my constant SLE/MCTD-flare-ups, which show after every dialysis-session
are finally being noticed in my blood-test-results: I just have been told that my latest blood-test-results show,
that I have to tread very carefully, because my white blood-cell count has become dangerously low ...
I wonder what is in store to medically assist me now ?

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Alex C.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 04:49:25 AM »

Wow, talk about "thread shift"!!!!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »

Wow, talk about "thread shift"!!!!

Hello Alex, I am very sorry and you are quite right, there was a thread shift and sometimes discussions develop just like that :
... people start talkng about one thing and continue to talk about something else ... such is life ...
... I do apoligize for being part of this thread shift ... and I thank you for your kind understanding ...
Best wishes from Kristina.  :grouphug;

P.S. How are you getting along with your Nephro-Shake...?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:02:05 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
OlManRivah

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:27 AM »

Nepro and like drinks can't be too bad.  Dialysis Centers around here give them to us free during treatment if protein is low. . . . :bow;

Country boys can survive!
casper2636

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »

Nepro-Butter Pecan....YUMMY...if you've got to drink it, chilled, it's the way to do it! Good frozen, in a bowel or plastic cup. Imagine "ice cream".
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »