I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  AV Fistula surgery.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AV Fistula surgery.  (Read 4449 times)
cchalk11

« on: April 26, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »

Hello, I am going to see the vascular surgeon on May 4th. My question is how long did the pain from your access surgery last? Any input will help, thanks.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »

My husband had a fistula created in his upper left arm. He had his surgery in the morning, they gave him prescription pain pills and was home in a few hours. If I remember correctly, he scheduled 2 days off from work just to be on the safe side. He only needed the pain pills for 1 day tho. Overall, he said it wasn't that bad but I don't like putting everyone in a box. Everybody has their own threshold for pain. It's probably going to be painful in the way of some throbbing but not anywhere near the kind of pain that can be experienced after major abdominal-type surgery. Good luck to you!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:41:36 PM »

When I had mine done the pain was handled by Tylenol. The surgery was easier than a trip to the dentist.  The only complaint I had was I was awake  for the procedure and they cauterize some thing I was hungry and I thought the smell was like a steak grilling, then I realized  that it was me being grilled.  The whole procedure was I would call minor.  My advise is get it done as soon as possible.  They take time to mature and a fistula is a much easier thing to live with then a cath
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »

Hello, I am going to see the vascular surgeon on May 4th. My question is how long did the pain from your access surgery last? Any input will help, thanks.
When I got mine they sent me home with Percocet or a similar hard pain killer.  I think it used it the first day and stopped after that. They knocked me out when they did the surgery.  As others have said go ahead and get it done so its ready when you need it.  I felt ready once it was time for dialysis and they were able to use the access.  With a lot of the kidney tasks I sat no them a bit, like this surgery and getting listed for a transplant, in the end I should have just done it when told too, especially the getting listed part...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cchalk11

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:37:04 AM »

Thank you guys for the input. I want it done ASAP because I don't want any emergency procedures. Much appreciated.
Alex C.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 04:50:30 AM »

My advice to you is this: unless your surgeon has sent you for an ultrasound check first, DO NOT GO AHEAD WITH THE SURGERY. Demand an ultrasound as condition for the surgery. It should be required, yet I know of many stories about failed fistula surgeries.

My first fistula surgery was a complete failure, only because the surgeon didn't due his 'due diligence' to see if his first location choice (lower left arm) was a good candidate. It wasn't. I had to go for a second surgery, on my upper arm, and I had to threaten to sue the first surgeon when he sent my bill to collection.
Hootie

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:52:12 AM »

When my wife had her fistula surgery, she did fine and was not in a lot of pain. It was on her upper arm. The only caution that we had was the look of the aftermath of the surgery. It was major black and blue and had some swelling. It was ugly! We were concerned about the look for several days but the surgeon said it was fine. Now she has only a small scar at the incision. We had to use hers before it was fully mature and had some sticking issues until it got mature. If you can, give it some time to gather strength.

Now its working great! Its all overwhelming at first but when you get comfortable with it and the process, life will be good considering the whole ESRD prognosis.

:bandance;

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »

No pain, no need for meds of any kind (though I was given an Rx for oxycodone).
cchalk11

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »

Alex C I've already done the vein mapping.
KulkulkanX

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »

My surgery was in September 3014,and I needed Acetaminophen once during the whole several weeks afterwards.
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »

My surgery was in September 3014

Fry?

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »