I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Monthly Blood Draws
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monthly Blood Draws  (Read 5861 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: April 10, 2015, 10:33:11 AM »

I'm at a Davita Clinic.  We have always had blood draws on the first Sunday of the month which is right after a weekend for me.  Now they are going to draw on the first Tuesday of the month which would be my second dialysis session of the week.  That seems wrong to me.  My blood theoretically would be cleaner.  Doesn't Medicare look at the labs and reward clinics with good labs?  Wouldn't this be a blatant violation trying to screw Medicare. 

I just got my lab results and WOW they look great!  Well, they were taken after I had dialysis just 2 days before not 3 days.  Big difference.

What do you guys think.  Should I report this new lab procedure to Medicare?

noahvale
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:28:18 AM »

^
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:42:12 AM by noahvale » Logged
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:45:26 AM »

I believe my davita center does it Wednesday and Thursday.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:48:16 AM »

Fresinius in New Jersey always on a Monday after a weekend.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »

I can see valid points for both days.  A few phone calls to Medicare couldn't hurt, it may be difficult to find the right person, or office, that may have any opinion either way.

If it is true that clinics are rewarded in any way from the seemingly 'improved' labs then it could be an issue.  But then again as Noah has pointed out, if the labs were to indicate a trend then early warning could be a benefit for the patient, and by extension also for the clinic in treating that patient.

Need a lot more information before passing judgement either way.

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »

I believe my davita center does it Wednesday and Thursday.

I can state for a fact now that my DaVita center does it on W and Thursday.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 01:33:57 PM »

The thing is... the doc needs to see your worst blood to treat you correctly.  Take labs 48 hours after I dialyze or 72 after I dialize. 

After 48 hours my potassium is 4.5 looks great... but what was it after a weekend after 72 hours.  That is what we want to know.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 08:53:50 AM »

My potassium was 4.3 for April.  The doctor came in last night and wanted to change my bath to a 3K.  I reminded her that our labs were drawn mid-week instead of the first of the week and she didn't change it.  This is BS.  Our basis for lab numbers have been changed.  This could really screw up people who are use to eating a certain way.  I could think oh, I can eat more potassium and it could get really high by Sunday but I'd never know until it killed me because my labs show a Tuesday level.

I'm calling Someone on this.  Plus I wrote a letter to the Medical Director and the FA and District Director.  I requested my labs be drawn on Sunday.  No other patient seems concerned.  Dah!

noahvale
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:43:36 AM by noahvale » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 06:33:54 PM »

Thank you, I did talk to someone named Barbara at the NWRenal Network and she said what you did.  There is no specified day to draw blood but she understood my concern.  I guess the labs are just so overworked.  Boo Hoo

I will just refuse labs on Tuesday and Thursday and When it gets around to Sunday I'll do it. 

Medicare doesn't look at potassium but does look at KTV and Hemoglobin.  She told me that. 

She says they are not trying to screw Medicare.  I'll wait to see what they tell me at the clinic.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »

Dear Rerun,

You are on to something.

Monthly bloods taken on Thursdays will show a slightly higher hemoglobin and a slightly lower Phosphorus (and as you stated, Potassium).
Blood taken on Mondays & Tuesdays (as well as your Sundays) reflect the worst case for these three values as far as a weekend goes —higher Phosphorus and Potassium and lower hemoglobin.

:-*

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »

I looked at the Fresenius clinic down the road but they are not nocturnal.  They could give me a six hour shift but it would be during the day so I would lose my freedom.  I tired doing six hours last night at my current CRAP Clinic and they could not get all my fluid off.  My bp is so low it takes 8 hours to get it off.  I don't think I can move clinics.  No one seems to think it is a big deal that they are changing blood draw days.  Idiots!

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 06:00:51 AM »

I looked at the Fresenius clinic down the road but they are not nocturnal.  They could give me a six hour shift but it would be during the day so I would lose my freedom.  I tired doing six hours last night at my current CRAP Clinic and they could not get all my fluid off.  My bp is so low it takes 8 hours to get it off.  I don't think I can move clinics.  No one seems to think it is a big deal that they are changing blood draw days.  Idiots!
I'd be interested to know if the Fresenius (US) center does haemodiafiltration.  The Irish center I was in last week did it and claimed its much easier on the body and I do think it was easier.

noahvale
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »

^
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:44:19 AM by noahvale » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »