I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Perfect Kidney function
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Perfect Kidney function  (Read 5495 times)
Athena

« on: March 31, 2015, 06:51:06 AM »

A close relative has revealed that she has low-normal levels of serum creatinine and BUN/urea levels. As such, her eGFR is 129!!!! She is 74 years old and has had a lifetime of being on strong painkillers and steroids for asthma. How is this even possible? The effects of severe envy just left me stunned and speechless. I found this just amazing.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:42:18 AM »

GFR is just a calculation.  You put in your age, gender etc....   So I don't think she is correct.

Try it here:  http://www.davita.com/gfr-calculator/

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:48:28 AM by Rerun » Logged

MuddyGurl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »

That number is surprising too…age alone traditionally shows a range in the "stage 3" realm.

we drop 1 pt GFR after age 40, so it works out you end up naturally dead with a VL GFR at the same time. <dark humor>

A freind's hubby has pancreatic cancer, is slowly gaining strength, but sick..his Creatinine is .93,  amazingly good at age 73..
his chart show eGFR at,60, since they don't show it as LOW then it must e closer to 'normal. range.
Athena

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »

I just saw your response Muddygurl now. Yes, it is very surprising. I'm beginning to suspect that there may be other conditions/diseases that may reduce serum creatinine levels to be LOW. For instance, I am prone to certain low liver enzymes as an example. It's either some anomaly or my relative has bionic kidneys! If the latter, she might be an ideal live donor in spite of her age!

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »

GFR is just a calculation.  You put in your age, gender etc....   So I don't think she is correct.

Try it here:  http://www.davita.com/gfr-calculator/
Needed to know my GFR (Glumerular Filtration Rate) other than inquiring in the dialysis center.

For any that may be interested:

http://www.clinicalculator.com/english/nephrology/cockroft/cca.htm

Ah yes, the preciseness of impreciseness. :oops;
Where is the truth of it all!     :bow;
Using the shown calculators, and running the Cochroft equation by hand,  becomes a tad confusing.     :Kit n Stik;

Did do all three processes and came up with three different answers? :secret;
Ha. What to believe!
Yes, the shown calculators must use certain and specific un-shown factors to arrive a given GFR.  :rant;

I got two different stage 4's, and one stage 5.   :thumbup;   :thumbup;  :thumbdown;
And journey continues.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:11:27 AM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Athena

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »

Wow, that is interesting Talker. I now only take the advice of my Nephs which is to simply monitor the Serum Creatinine level and ignore eGFR calculations. It seems only GPs and other non-Nephrology type of doctors rely on the GFR.

lainiepop

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »

I know GFR is just an estimate and my docs never mention it either pre or post tx. I only see it if they happen to send me a letter of latest results. My creatinine a couple months ago was 72, and on a letter from november last year when the creatinine was also 72 it says gfr 83 or something similar.

Age does not necessarily mean u will have bad function. I

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
lainiepop

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »

I know GFR is just an estimate and my docs never mention it either pre or post tx. I only see it if they happen to send me a letter of latest results. My creatinine a couple months ago was 72, and on a letter from november last year when the creatinine was also 72 it says gfr 83 or something similar.

Age does not necessarily mean u will have bad function. I am now 3 yrs post tx, 33 yrs old and my dad (my donor ) turns 70 in september, he was almost 67 when he donated but they kept saying he had a super kidney with the function of a 40 yr old. They said his gfr pre tx was something like 110 which for his age was super, so it's not unheard of some older donors can have better kidneys than young'uns lol.

Marie

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Alex C.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:22:06 AM »

FWIW, my 90 year old father has a GFR of 80. I inherited my bad kidneys from my mother's side.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »