I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New Member
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3573 times)
cchalk11

« on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:10 AM »

Hello I am 50 years old with a GFR of 14. I have done my vein mapping and the Dr. said I have good veins. Is an upper arm fistula a good place for it? I am freaking out over the whole situation and starting to get depressed.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »

Welcome, i have a lower arm fistula but in center I'd say about 40% of the people have the upper arm (same for lower arm) the rest have catheters or groin fistulas. (In this example I'm not differentating between fistula and grafts.)

I was able to get my fistula in advance and when the time came I appreciated being able to use it and skip the catheter.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »

Welcome to the site cchalk11

:welcomesign;

I had my first fistula on the lower arm, and currently one on the upper arm. Although I first preferred a lower arm fistula, I'm now just as happy with my upper arm fistula. If you are thinking of needling yourself at some stage, a lower one might be easier.

The more you educate yourself about D, the less scary it gets, and maybe you get less depressed too?

Good luck, and take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »

Hi :) I am also at around 14% . I have a lower arm fistula. I've had it for almost three years but fortunately fortunately have not needed it yet!
Welcome to IHD.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:05:28 PM »

I survived hemo start up barely.  One of the worse days of my life was the day I startes dialysis.  I was scared spitless.  Looking back the terror was unfounded.
If I had to do it over I would go and visit the center prior to starting.  I have a lower left handed fistula installed two years prior to starting dialysis.  While to be honest dialysis sucks it kills the morning three days a week I figure 168 hours a week I spend about 18 hours at the center leaving me 150 of my life left each week.   CKD is what it is,  there is a tee shirt sold by cafe press that sums it up better than I can,  "Dialysis: Damned if you do, Dead if you don't"
Shaks24

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:51:24 AM »

Welcome cchaulk11. You will find much support here. Take it one day at a time and ask a lot of questions. You will find a lot of knowledge and experience about dialysis here. A lot of support too. Glad you joined the site.
Your friend from Tennessee.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
cchalk11

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »

Iolaire thats why I'm pushing to get my fistula put in so I don'nt have to get a catheter. Michael Murphy was the first time on Hemo as bad as I think it's going to be? Hey Shaks24 it's me Charles from CA, I finally got registered. I hope your situation is better.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:40:04 PM by cchalk11 » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »

Hello and welcome to IHD.  I'm so glad you joined us.  It is a tough path to start down, but we are here to help you and give you courage.

Welcome - Rerun, Admin.     :welcomesign;

Shaks24

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:31:29 AM »

cchaulk11, I knew it was you. I am glad you figured out your registration. Everything is good here. One more week of antibiotics. This site helped me so much as I transitioned into dialysis. I hope it does the same for you my friend. A lot of good folks here.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
bliss85

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 01:07:43 AM »

Iolaire thats why I'm pushing to get my fistula put in so I don'nt have to get a catheter. Michael Murphy was the first time on Hemo as bad as I think it's going to be? Hey Shaks24 it's me Charles from CA, I finally got registered. I hope your situation is better.

If i could have done it i would....catheters are the worst, in my opinion id do just about anything to avoid having one again....If you can plan it out its nice...I never had a warning i was going on dialysis...got thrown into it. Its not so bad...but it takes a bit to adjust to the lifestyle of having dialysis...the worst symptoms i got my first time was nausea.

In-center Hemo Dialysis since 2009 (out-patient)
Currently Doing Nocturnal Tues-Thurs-Sun 8 hr sessions
Have had 1 live donor Tx in 2002 - 2009
Dry Weight: 71kgs Avg. Take off: 2kgs
Diagnosed Medulary Cystic Disease 2001
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 05:16:51 AM »

My first time was horrific.  No from the treatment but from the fear of the unknown.  I felt like a five year old on his way to kindergarten for the first time. I had my fistula installed two years prior but had not toured a center.  I was so scared I wore my reading glasses instead of my distance glasses and got lost 3 times on the way to the center.  I have been living here for twenty years and have been by the center at least twice a month.  But that morning I couldn't find it.  After a three hour session which was not as bad as I had been afraid of I realized I drove over nearly blind.  I strongly advise touring a center and meeting the staff prior to starting.  Dialysis is no walk in the park.  But learning to control your attitude is important I personally deal a week at a time so I feel some closure every Friday knowing I am done for the week. Next week is next weeks problem.  I am at the center about 18 hours a week with setup and holding times added to my 4:15 hour session time. That still leaves me about 150 hours a week to have a life out side of dialysis.  Avoiding dialysis is good, but going to dialysis is not always bad.  It's not the end but a new beginning, just like kindergarten was not the end but the start of a life outside of your house.  The one thing I would add is your choice of centers is important, don't worry about the toys check up on the staff my center has zero turnover no one leaves so they are all well trained.  Go to a support group and listen to the patients.  If they are all unhappy find another center. 
cchalk11

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »

Michael Murphy how would one go about the turnover rate and support groups. I'm sure if a center had a high turnover rate they wouldn't disclose that info, .
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »

:welcomesign;

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »

I think every center has a social worker and a support group some areas have non affiliated groups.  When you tour try sitting in the waiting room and listen to the patients strangely enough patients seem to know every thing going on.  What I have learned in the past two years is a good center is a gift.  A bad center is a sentence.  I currently live in New Jersey and any direction from my house I can throw a rock and hit a dialysis center lots of choices.  I am moving to the Adirondacks in upstate New York.  There I have only two choices.  Both 30 miles from my house.  And I am lucky there are patients with drives over twice as long.  Talk to your doctor, nurse and see if you can talk to,patients in your doctors waiting room.  Plus check the CMS (center for Medicare  Medicaid Services) ratings for clinics and centers around you.  I was lucky in the center my doctor sent me to.  Great and caring staff.  Some people choose centers based on new tv's or othe toys I think the quality of the staff is more important.
cchalk11

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »

Thank you Bambino.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »

Good to have you...  :welcomesign; to our community...

You'll find us a friendly bunch, and we're full of good information....

Darth... Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »