I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  PICA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PICA  (Read 58419 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: February 16, 2006, 09:15:28 PM »

Pica includes strong cravings for non-food items. The most frequent are:

Clay or Dirt, Paint Chips, Plaster, Baking Soda, Rust, Glue. 

Pica is usually found in people whose diets are deficient in minerals contained in the consumed substances.  More than 50 percent of pregnant women have pica.

It is common in dialysis patients too. 

Anyone want to fess up to craving something that you know better than to eat?  :P

I'll start!!  8)  20 years ago before I knew anything was wrong with my kidneys, but only weeks before, I would crave the smell of gasoline.  I would love to gas up my car in hopes of a "whiff."  I would sneak down to the garage and take the lid off the gas can and smell it.  Then I got my transplant and I was fine.  Well......it is back.  I need to have a gasoline smell fix everyday.  Weird, but I think it has to do with Pica.  I'm craving something that chemically is missing, or I'm so TOXIC that my body just wants to get it over with!! >:

babi68

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »

I just love the smell of nail polish remover. When I was on PD I was addicted to the smell of Hexol(the stuff to discinfect your hands). I always joke at dialysis when going on that I need a wiff of the alcohol and have jokingly said to others yeh I need to smell it, I am hooked, they think I am joking, but I'm not. I admit it. Don't eat anything bad though. Liz :-[
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 08:47:16 AM »

Oh man I love to smell "New Tires" I love going into a tire store. To me new tires smell the best.  :-[ Even better than that new car smell.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:28:53 AM »

I have never come across PICA before.  But thinking about it. I do love the smell of bananas, chocolate and Instant Coffee most of the things I can not have. ;).  I know my mum when she was having my sister liked COAL!

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »

OKAY you guys!  You can eat bananas and chocolate... I mean it is ateable.  And a "new car smell" and "Puppy Breath" everyone loves!  I'm talking bad stuff like gasoline, Hexol or yeah... Coal.  :-\  And really you should want to eat it or consume it.  I would like to drink gasoline but I know better!    YEAH, that weird!!!   :P

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:38:10 PM »

This is SO INTERESTING!!  I never thought it could be something to do with dialysis, but I find myself enjoying and craving smells very much these days.  I went over to the marine centre of our community college the other day and there was this big rubber dinghy on the ground.  I just loved that smell and wished I could stay there for a long time.  I also like the smell of gasoline, though I don't get many chances to smell it (until I get my new vehicle in a few weeks).  I love the smell of witch hazel.
By the way, what is 'puppy breath'?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 07:42:46 PM »

;D ;D ;D :D :D

You know!!!  When you hold little puppies and they yawn and they have the nice clean "puppy breath?"   Now that is normal.  Everybody loves "Puppy Breath."  :-*   But, if you crave grown dog breath after they lick their Butt... that is probably Pica!   ;)   >:D

geoffcamp

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 10:57:39 AM »

I think dialysis has made all y'all crazy ::)  I never heard of such a thing!  I just love the smell of cookies and actually eating them too!

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 06:50:18 PM »

I think dialysis has made all y'all crazy ::)  I never heard of such a thing!  I just love the smell of cookies and actually eating them too!

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic1798.htm

It is a VERY real disorder/condition. It usually occurs in children however adults can get the condition at times. However I wouldn't say just because a person likes a certain smell i.e. gas,tires,nail polish I wouldn't classify them as suffering from a certain malnorishment/PICA nor would I call them crazy.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

geoffcamp

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 09:20:34 PM »

I don't mean to insult I just find the whole thing pretty funny.  I guess I have a warped sense of humor

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Bear

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 09:58:47 PM »

Ah! NOW I know waht's wrong with the dog!!!!! ::) ::) :)
Our Mareema (sp?) eats the dry wall at the side of our French windows from time-to-time.
I have to mix up a little pot of plaster & fill em in, every so often.
Maybe I will be more sympathetic and not beat him about the head in future!  :)  :o
                                                                             (as  ^ if...)  :)

waves...Bear
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 10:06:58 PM »

I don't mean to insult I just find the whole thing pretty funny.  I guess I have a warped sense of humor

No,no,no I know I was just providing a link to let you read about it. Now where the hell did I leave that tire?

;D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kevno

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 03:30:18 PM »

Think I might picA New car to smell!   >:D  picA unleaded gas for Rerun to smell >:D Plus picA four new Tyres for Epoman to smell. >:D

Right I'm picA to go now! bad jokes ;D ;D ;D

Just so funny, I can imagine Rerun sneaking around cars taking off gas lids, and smelling the gas!

Kevno
PS I love the smell of loads of money!!!!!!

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 07:28:53 PM »

I know.... pretty soon my labs will have a new Octane level.   ;D

bumblebee

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 06:57:21 AM »

I love the smell of tar :).  In fact I wish I could have a small bottle of it to carry around with me so I could sniff it all day.  Also, I used to by Izal disinfectant and I was so addicted to the smell I use to wash my floors about 6 times a day.  Actually thinking about it, this was the time my kidney failure was first diagnosed. ???
kevno

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »

Hi! Bumblebee,

How about introducing yourself on on the message board so that we get to know you, Plus you will get to know all of us.  This is a great site for having a rant and rave.  Plus to try to help other patients with your experiences. Remember we are not Doctors, but a lot of the patients on this site have been renal patients for a long time. Will try to give you some advise. Plus you can give us advise on the experiences you have had with dialysis. Thats any sort of dialysis.

Kevno
(Manchester UK)

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »

... PS I love the smell of loads of money!!!!!!

Sounds good but actually -- Yuck!!  Years ago my husband had lemonade stands.  No matter how careful we were, when it got really busy the money would get wet.  We found we could put the stacks of ones on a paper towel and microwave for a few seconds, move it to the counter top and fan it, and it would dry in less than five minutes ... BUT the smell of dirty bills is awful!!!!  The whole kitchen would stink but it sure was easier to count.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kevno

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 05:00:41 AM »

I've know of laundering money. But Microwaving money that is something New ;D ;D ;D I meant the smell of new crisp money ;) ;)

Kevno
( very rare I have any new money :'(  but all donations welcome to Kev's back pocket fund ;D ;D)

Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »

Now that I have my vehicle, I was able to go over to the Marine centre and smell that dinghy.  I was very pleased to find it inflated and the rubbery smell was oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh good!!!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

kevno

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 03:07:50 PM »

::) bajanne2000

Sorry to hear you have picA,I'm sure the patients will(laugh) Sorry :-\ ,try to help you allthey can. I believe Epoman likes the smell of rubber as-well! Plus if you run out of Gas I'm sure Rerun, could breath in the motor for you. >:D >:D

Kevno
 >:D ;D ;)

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »

My friend Debbie that was here to help me, left me a bottle of "STP Jet Fuel" instead of Flowers.  She was reading some of the posts and laughing her guts out.!   :D 

Kevno is just a closet sniffer.  He just won't admit it yet!   >:D

kevno

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 11:17:42 AM »

Why!  would I want to smell a Closet! >:D ;D ;D

I can not believe your friend gave you"STP jet fuel" I would have not spent that much :o I would have put 5mils  of normal gas in a tablet bottle. >:D >:D . I would have given you a flower, nicked from next doors garden. 8)

Kevno

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 12:18:47 AM »

How about the smell of Office Depot or Staples.  MMMMMMMMM

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 08:28:16 PM »

I like the sound of that.  I happen to like stationery stores (my sister thinks I am crazy), and I will spend hours in Office Max or Staples looking at the stuff.  But I haven't been there for a while (Office Max is on the neighbouring US island of St. Thomas), but I will check it out next time to see if I like the smell.

calypso

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 04:33:20 PM »

I like the smell of gasoline too but I don't crave it, I just like the smell.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »