I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Any Experiences with Holiday Dialysis (in center HD dialysis) in Ireland?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Experiences with Holiday Dialysis (in center HD dialysis) in Ireland?  (Read 15655 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« on: March 03, 2015, 09:13:10 AM »

Our next trip with be to Ireland in May with another couple so I’m starting to think about centers in Dublin, Limerick and Galway, one session each location.   Does anyone have any experience with centers in the area?  Nephorcare has centers in Dublin and Limerick and B. Braun has a center in Galway, so I was thinking of reaching out to those centers.  Otherwise I’ll have to try hospitals.

I’m especially interested the estimated costs for a US self-pay patient.  This will be the highest cost of living country for me to visit so I might be looking at prices much higher than the under $300/session prices I’ve found in Singapore, South Africa and Chile…

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »

Sounds to be a lovely time! Especially during spring time! I've long wanted to visit the Isle of Mann. Don't know if you will be anywhere near there but it looks beautiful and breathtakingly fun. Rich in history and yet quaint. Good luck and enjoy! That's pretty cool to be able to just up and travel where you want and not let dialysis hold you back. Hope you share pics with your friends to let them know such places really do exist. I use to work with a girl who traveled the world and she would show slide shows at lunch time at the office, was always fun and interesting.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »

Hope you share pics with your friends to let them know such places really do exist.
Thanks for the support, these days I do share photos via Facebook with some commentary.  But my website with photos has not been updated since 2007 or so, and I don't really feel like travel blogging since others do it so well and full time...  And yes I feel fortunate, first off that I can travel, and secondly that I can still travel... 

This will be my first trip to Ireland which took some time despite having an Irish name (Iolaire = eagle or man bird in Gaelic) and being of 3/4 irish decent. My mother's parents immigrated, including both her fathers in addition to her mother.  But I have only had limited time with that side of the family since we grew up in Alaska not SFO area where the rest of the them still live.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

If you are in Dublin you can research your roots in Dublin Castle they have copies of all the records in Ireland going back hundreds of years.  I used to go to Ireland in the 70's and 80's always had a great time.  If your driving bring a gps cause asking directions can get you lost. The Irish will always tell you how to go even if they have no idea.  They are very friendly but directionally challenged.
iketchum

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 05:49:28 PM »

I bet Darthvader can tell you about dialysis in Ireland.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »

FYI finding space for treatment in Ireland seems like its a challenge.  So far most of my centers and dates have full.  DaVita's schedulers are trying to find me space but so far it worrisome.  Even more stressful is we are going with friends and this will change our nice jointly planned out itinerary.  I'm sure it will all work out but so far this has been the most difficult to schedule, in other countries I've picked the center and they have been able to accommodate me.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 02:05:02 AM »

FYI finding space for treatment in Ireland seems like its a challenge.  So far most of my centers and dates have full.  DaVita's schedulers are trying to find me space but so far it worrisome.  Even more stressful is we are going with friends and this will change our nice jointly planned out itinerary.  I'm sure it will all work out but so far this has been the most difficult to schedule, in other countries I've picked the center and they have been able to accommodate me.
Maybe Darth Vadar has contacts and can point you in the right direction. Maybe an Irish organization of some sort has contacts and could get someone involved in your planning with you. I wonder if there are any Irish health forums or forums online for tourists to chat and perhaps someone on a forum may know of dialysis centers you could contact. Maybe even a cruiseline might know of local centers in Ireland that can help you. Since you love to travel so much and it seems to agree with you, I am sure you will find something and get it all worked out. Good luck! Fingers crossed!

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 05:21:32 AM »

Maybe an Irish organization of some sort has contacts and could get someone involved in your planning with you.
The DaVita coordinator has reached out to the Irish Kidney Association for help.

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »

Excellent! Hopefully they will locate a center that fits your itinerary. I'm not sure but maybe they don't have "centers" over there like we do here in the states, maybe their units are at hospitals. So maybe they have to find a hospital nearest where you will be staying. Either way, they obviously offer dialysis in Ireland, I don't think it's like being in the remote wilderness of the Amazon. Have FUN! I envy you!

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »

The Irish kidney association says no one has space until June!  I might be able to use points to fly to another country for two treatments and get an extra one at home.

Does anyone know if finding space in London or Paris is difficult?  This is the first time I've had any issues with scheduling.

Updated later in the day.  So my hail mary is to try to get treatment in London.  That's a long shot since to make it worth it I'd need to find space that allows me to fly up and back in the same day (plus have the elusive award space available for a points flight)...  We will see, this trip might be a bust.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:22:06 PM by iolaire » Logged

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »

Just a thought did you try Ulster /Northern Ireland. That a British medical province.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »

Just a thought did you try Ulster /Northern Ireland. That a British medical province.
I'm passing on that since I only have a few weeks to plan and London has way more centers.  Thanks

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »

Well if you get stuck if I remember right there is a high speed ferry from Dun  Laighaire (Dun Leary) just north of Dublin
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »

I got in touch with Belfast Hospital and they might have space, I'll know on Tuesday if they are willing to take me.  The lab work requirements are onerous, but I wanted to get started since London or Dublin would probably have similar requirements.  Belfast is less convenient since you have to drive there but much better than staying home.

My wife emailed the Irish Kidney Association and they said all centers are full (same as they told my coordinator), but then said a private center might have space and provided pricing, but did not name it!  I emailed all the private centers I could find and might call in the AM...

My coordinator has not yet reached a London center with space.

But on Saturday I realized that worst case I can go to Ireland with my wife and another couple and use points fly back on Wednesday for treatment at my home center on the same day.  So that has made my stress level go down, rather than completely canceling I could be there for a whirlwind first part of the trip.  (Sunday afternoon to Wednesday early AM.) 

(I feel very fortunate that this is the type of stress in my life...)

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »

I emailed all the private centers I could find and might call in the AM...

And within 30 minutes Beacon Renal Tallaght responded - "I'll send you on our holiday form monday morning Irish time and we'll take it from there."  She responded 10:55 PM her time, that sounds like the most positive news yet.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:13 AM »

Hello iolaire,
London here ... "Guy's and St. Thomas Hospital" in Central London (opposite the Houses of Parliament)
take on NHS-tourists and private tourists for dialysis-sessions. Their NHS-Trust has several different dialysis-units
in different locations within London and they can be contacted at:  holidaydialysis@gstt.nhs.uk
... In case there is any "hick-up" with buraucracy etc., please let me know ...
Good luck and best wishes from Kristina.  :waving;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 07:50:40 AM »

Hello iolaire,
London here ... "Guy's and St. Thomas Hospital" in Central London (opposite the Houses of Parliament)
take on NHS-tourists and private tourists for dialysis-sessions. Their NHS-Trust has several different dialysis-units
in different locations within London and they can be contacted at:  holidaydialysis@gstt.nhs.uk
... In case there is any "hick-up" with buraucracy etc., please let me know ...
Good luck and best wishes from Kristina.  :waving;

Thank you for the contact details.  Today things have started to speed up with getting a Dublin site.  Beacon Renal sounded like they might have space, but they were a little unclear when my travel coordinator called them, but FMC Dublin also just responded with dates!  And FMC Dublin is centrally located.  So knock on wood I'm acutlly going to be able to get treatment in Dublin!

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »

I leave tomorrow, finally today I have confirmed space at FMC Dublin for two treatments on Wednesday and Friday!  I'm doing an extra treatment tomorrow AM so that I only need two in Ireland.

I'll take train in from Limerick to Dublin and then return to meet up with my wife and our friends in Galway after treatment, so that will be a long day.  Then on Friday we will all drive back to Dublin.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:45:32 AM by iolaire » Logged

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »

Enjoy your trip Iolaire, glad you've got D sorted.

:cheer:

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »

We returned from our Ireland trip last night.  It was a great trip with friends, but we had to do a ton of driving to see both the Dingle Peninsula (instead of the longer Ring of Kerry loop) and the Cliffs of Moher.

To get dialysis I commuted to Dublin from Limerick via train and back to Galway on the bus on Wednesday.  I took the city bus to the dialysis center in the suburbs.

I was happy that I didn’t miss my bus stop despite the cellular service from “Three Ireland” that completely conked out in Dublin. (Later I purchased a “Lycamobile Ireland” SIM card that worked MUCH better.)  From what we could tell “Three Ireland” is not a good option despite some recommendations online and the €20 unlimited plan…. “Lycamobile Ireland” worked much better under more limited €10 plan.  My friend with a newer Galaxy 6 had better “Three Ireland” service for voice and texts, but not for data.

We returned to Dublin on Friday as a group so I had pickup and drop off at dialysis.

Overall the trip was great.  We were fairly rushed the entire time because it did take a long time to drive everywhere.  We arrived at the B&B each night at about six or seven and did have dinner out but we were completely beat most nights.

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »

:welcomesign;    Back home, and lovely to here you enjoyed Ireland! I live just 'around the corner', and have never been.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
PaulBC

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »

Off topic, but almost 20 years ago, I stayed for 4 months in Aberystwyth, Wales and my one regret is not visiting Ireland (where I've still never been). I don't have much of an excuse. I had plenty of time on weekends to do it. I figured I could get a ferry from Holyhead, but the way there just seemed too indirect (anything better than taking a train back inland to Birmingham?). If I had known how little time I'd have for travel once I started working for real, I might have seen things differently. Wales was great, and in the very unlikely event I find myself traveling extensively some day, I'd like to go back there too.

I've been following this thread and I'm glad to hear iolaire was able to find a dialysis center for his stay.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 11:37:50 PM »

We returned from our Ireland trip last night.  It was a great trip with friends, but we had to do a ton of driving to see both the Dingle Peninsula (instead of the longer Ring of Kerry loop) and the Cliffs of Moher.

To get dialysis I commuted to Dublin from Limerick via train and back to Galway on the bus on Wednesday.  I took the city bus to the dialysis center in the suburbs.

I was happy that I didn’t miss my bus stop despite the cellular service from “Three Ireland” that completely conked out in Dublin. (Later I purchased a “Lycamobile Ireland” SIM card that worked MUCH better.)  From what we could tell “Three Ireland” is not a good option despite some recommendations online and the €20 unlimited plan…. “Lycamobile Ireland” worked much better under more limited €10 plan.  My friend with a newer Galaxy 6 had better “Three Ireland” service for voice and texts, but not for data.

We returned to Dublin on Friday as a group so I had pickup and drop off at dialysis.

Overall the trip was great.  We were fairly rushed the entire time because it did take a long time to drive everywhere.  We arrived at the B&B each night at about six or seven and did have dinner out but we were completely beat most nights.
So glad you went and had a great time! The Dingle Peninsula would be soo romantic, would make me think of Enya's songs to explore to or relax with...mystical and dreamy and FUN! Springtime in Ireland must be a beautiful time to soak in nature's wonders. That was great that you went! Brave of ya!

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »

Just posted this review on global dialysis.

Dialysis twice at this center May 2015.  Center was clean, and employees were friendly. Ok bus access taking about 40 minutes from downtown, with about .5 or so miles to walk at end.  Building is NOT on street, property on street has a name other than Grattan House.

Scheduling in Ireland was impossible to make happen with only one month notice.  Via DaVita travel coordinator heard that this center did not have space one month before departure.  But later, two weeks out, I personally emailed this address for the center's lead Rajeev //.// Ramkaun //@// fmc-ag.com (remove all spaces and //) and he said they could take me (one week before departure.)  I had to get the lab work completed, submitted by say Tuesday before departure and received conformation on Friday that they would take me.

Payment in cash only if not part of EU healthcare network (i.e. US). €300 per session, plus €205 once off for lab work, a duplicate of the following required lab work:

Lab work required:
Have the following test results within 4 weeks of holiday dates
*   HBsAg
*   HCV Antibody
*   Hep C RNA or combined sensitive Ab/Ag testing if provided by local testing laboratory)
(NB this testing is not required for patients coming from other UK/Irish Units).
*   HIV
*   MRSA: nose, groin or perineum, line exit site and any wound/s   
(My hospital refused to follow these MRSA guides and did nose and mouth and they took those)

BastetsEye

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »

Hoping to go to Ireland in September, to stay with an aunt in Dublin for a week, another aunt in Cork for a week and a further week in Mayo. My father and I go there every year but this will be the first with me being on Dialysis.

So was wondering iolaire if you could tell me if there was a reason you didn't dialysis in Galway or Mayo, I'm sure I read there was a clinic in Castlebar, or was there just no vacancy's?

I hope you don't mind me asking.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »