I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Caregiver for New NxStage User in Georgia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caregiver for New NxStage User in Georgia  (Read 5066 times)
Hootie

« on: February 15, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »

Hello,
I am the husband and caregiver for my wife who is type 1 diabetic for almost 48 years who was diagnosed with ESRD last year. We started in center at Nephrologist's request with ultimate goal to go home quickly. After getting her fistula in August we began in center in October 2014. In early December we began training on the NxStage system coming home the first week of January 2015. It has been a good experience with excellent support from the DaVita HHD nurse and the NxStage technical supported. They have been simply outstanding. We are in the final stages of transplant approval at Emory.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:04:23 AM »

Welcome to IHD!  I'm very glad that home hemo with NxStage is working so well for you both.  Does your wife have a live donor lined up, or will she be placed on the waitlist at Emory?  I hope the final stages of her pre-transplant evaluation goes smoothly.  Please come back and keep us informed!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Hootie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:35:49 PM »

Thanks.
No, we do not have a live donor. No one in our family is compatiable due to her O Negative blood type.  We will go on list when approved.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:58:24 PM »

Welcome, Hootie!  There's so much info here to read, a little a lot of everything! So take your time and don't hesitate to ever start a thread or ask questions. You probably already found it but there's a whole section for NxStage users. By the way, you are so right about Nxstage Tech Support. Their tech's have been extremely patient and helpful to my husband and I. 

your name made me think of Hootie and the Blowfish....got a couple of their cd's. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:00:55 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
renalwife

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »

Welcome, Hootie.  It is so good of you to take care of your wife.  I hope and pray that all goes well.

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »

:welcomesign; Hootie...

I fully understand where you're coming from... Was a carer for many years...

Hope to see ots of posts from you... We like the chaty ones... Makes the place 'interesting'....

Darth... Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:05:54 PM »

Welcome to the site hootie

:welcomesign;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Hootie

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »

Thanks...An update on caregiver relief....Dr and Nurse could not help me find a caregiver to help while I went out of town. My wife asked the Dr if she could just take lasix during my four days away and the start back up with treatments when I returned. She reluctantly said we could and that is what we did. Did treatment on Friday am and resumed on Wednesday am. Wife did fine while I was gone, but needed a big treatment while I got back. Also, we are doing 4-5 straight days to catch back up. UF has been heavier the last three days.  Everything worked out. Probably not the best thing to do but it worked for us. :bandance;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »

Thanks...An update on caregiver relief....Dr and Nurse could not help me find a caregiver to help while I went out of town. My wife asked the Dr if she could just take lasix during my four days away and the start back up with treatments when I returned. She reluctantly said we could and that is what we did. Did treatment on Friday am and resumed on Wednesday am. Wife did fine while I was gone, but needed a big treatment while I got back. Also, we are doing 4-5 straight days to catch back up. UF has been heavier the last three days.  Everything worked out. Probably not the best thing to do but it worked for us. :bandance;
Glad it worked out for you. Yup, I imagine the UF might be heavier...my husband will be away for 5 days. He'll be getting an in-center treatment on Day 3 while away and we will resume home hemo on Day 5 when he arrives back home. I am going to have our NxStage primed and ready to go. Since our normal routine consists of HHD 5x weekly, my biggest concerns are: is he going to feel sickly, fluid gain raising his blood pressure and how his fistula is going to react to not being used as often while he's been away. On one hand, I dread the day he gets home because I fear he won't feel too well and have a lot of fluid overload but on the other, it will be a relief to get him "emptied and cleaned out" again.   

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »

When my wife leaves town for business, I don't have any trouble booking in-center.   Once when all the chairs were full, they let me use the NxStage they keep at the clinic for training purposes.

If the clinic would let me, I would just do the treatment alone, keeping a door to the house unlocked and a phone handy in case I needed 911.   But, I play by their rules since that's part of the deal in getting home treatment.
Hootie

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »

My wife had option to go to center but really did not want to go. They seemed to an adequate job but the three doing the work speak very little english. They also speak very little to patients. All business. One time they let her drive home when they should have waited due to low BP.

She was okay when she had to go but now likes her current caregiver better. He is gentle and supportive.

Another update...my wife was approved for transplant at Emory and is officially on the list. I will be tested shortly to enter the paired donor program since our blood types not not compatible.  :2thumbsup;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »

My wife had option to go to center but really did not want to go. They seemed to an adequate job but the three doing the work speak very little english. They also speak very little to patients. All business. One time they let her drive home when they should have waited due to low BP.

She was okay when she had to go but now likes her current caregiver better. He is gentle and supportive.

Another update...my wife was approved for transplant at Emory and is officially on the list. I will be tested shortly to enter the paired donor program since our blood types not not compatible.  :2thumbsup;

Congrats on her being approved at Emory! Mighty generous of you to agree to the paired donor program, good luck and best wishes!   

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 01:17:25 AM »

Hallo Hootie,
My husband and I are also going through the "paired and pooled" donor programme because our bloodtypes are not compatible.
Please let us know how things are moving forward and we wish you all the best.
... Have you already "found" your other "paired donor" ?
Is your "paired and pooled" request also being put on a computer-programme
and this computer-programme is "clicked" four times a year for the "paired and pooled" programme?
How long have you been waiting for the "paired and pooled" ?
All the best wishes and thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Hootie

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 08:03:01 AM »

Kristina, just had the first interview for the paired program for me to be evaluated last week. I passed first step and now get the 24 hour urine test and blood work as second step. If I pass that then I go in for the big tests. Emory says they have only one paired/transplant donor candidate who has been on the list longer that a year. Usually its just months after passing all the tests to get paired up. They said they fly the living kidney to the sites as needed. That indicates that the matches could be outside the immediate area. My wife is O so that is a little less common. We will see what happens.  I need to do some research on the ideas and questions you mentioned. All the best to you!  :2thumbsup;

Bambino_Bear

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 06:11:12 PM »

:welcomesign; Hootie!

I am so happy for you and your wife and wish you the very best on your transplant journey. 

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »