I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:31:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Making Hay
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making Hay  (Read 3270 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »

When you are given lemons, make lemonaide. Make hay til the sun don't shine. Or is it "making hay while the sun is shining"? When I say to people "good luck on your journey", I really mean "good luck with the darned situation you are in". My mother use to say that if it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all...and sometimes when things got a bit challenging for her, she said she just looked at it as if being on a journey, with a lot of bends and twists in the road, some good places, some not-so-good. My mother had a way of seeing the glass half full. Most of the time. Sometimes she was the strongest person on earth. Sometimes the weakest and it would tick me off. I suppose I'd feel ticked off because when the same person who told you "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going!" would break down and cry over spilled milk, you sort of feel let down, disappointed. Whatever, right? Never mind my rambling. Good luck on your journey and don't waste a single minute! Make hay!

Whew! I haven't had a drink in a long time in fact, probably been nearly two years. Who the heck goes that long without a drink? WHO? Okay, okay, I know who but perhaps for me, one is in order. I don't even know why I've gone that long without one. No medical reason not to. Does not make any sense. Just for some reason I have not had anything to drink in a very long time. Weird. Think when I can, in other words, not on a night when my husband and I have to do his home-hemo, I am going to have me a " good care partner" drink! Or a "you deserve this" drink. Or a "Mmm! A drink sure does sound good!" drink. A drink just to drink, drink!   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Angiepkd

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »

After the last two months I've had, a drink sounds like a great idea, too!  Unfortunately, this new medication I am on doesn't allow me to have alcohol.  But as soon as I am allowed, I am having a huge guava margarita!  Being the care taker is tough, and as a patient, I know we don't always show the appreciation we should.  Don't take it personally.  It's mainly frustration from being in a crappy situation.  We couldn't do it without our care takers!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »