I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  My favourite side-dish...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My favourite side-dish...  (Read 5474 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: February 11, 2015, 05:07:20 AM »

My favourite side-dish is Quinoa (according to the Inkas Quinoa is the “Food of the Gods”) and vegetables.
The Quinoa supplies me regularly some protein in my vegetarian diet.
This side-dish (for two people) starts with soaking 60g of lentils overnight
and cook them next day for altogether 40 minutes to avoid any "heaviness” of the lentils on the stomach.
When the lentils have been cooking already for about 10 minutes, I add into the same sauce pan
a handful of washed broccoli, 7 or 8 mange tous and a medium carrot sliced in little pieces.
When there are only 17 minutes left to finish cooking, I add into the same sauce pan two portions of petit pois.
The Quinoa itself needs to be cooked in a separate sauce pan for only about 12-13 minutes...
When all is cooked, I mix the Quinoa together with the vegetables and this is my favourite side-dish...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »

That sounds REALLY good, but I have to wonder about the potassium content of all of the vegetables.  Does the soaking of the lentils greatly reduce the phosphorus content of the lentils?  I love lentils and have never met a legume I didn't like, so the pre-renal diet was heartbreaking in that regard.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:42:13 AM »

OK, I have to admit I'm half stumped.  I had to Google 'mange tout' and 'petit pois'.  I made a WAG at 'pois' but the first had me totally in the dark.

Google let me down, barely a line saying peas, for both.  So I need a bit of clarification.  Snap, snow, baby, in the pod, etc.   I like them all.

Gramma taught me a llttle dish I like to take to pot luck or picnics.  Simple, and tasty.

Drain a can of tender young baby peas then roll them across a paper towel to dry them off.  Set aside.

Chop up a very sweet onion, pieces about the size of the peas. Amount about the same as the peas.

Mix the onion with Miracle Whip, Ranch Dressing, or Mayo, which ever your taste prefer.

Gently fold in the dried peas taking care not to smash them.

Refrigerate.  Serve cold.

The blend of taste and texture are great.

Some may elect to add an amount of diced cheese for another taste and texture.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »

I am sorry Charilie, I should have said it straight away:
Mange tout 'Carouby de Maussane' = Sugar Pod peas
Petits pois =Very small green peas...
For this side-dish I sometimes use other (seasonal) vegetables as well ...
... Bon appétit ...

P.S. ... and thanks for the recipe of your grandmother, Charlie, it sounds quite interesting.
... and MooseMom, I don't know about the content of potassium ... but perhaps I "get away" with it,
because I always use huge saucepans for all my cooking with plenty of water to "bleach out" lots of potassium whilst cooking
and I only eat very small portions of it ...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:00:56 PM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »

That sounds REALLY good, but I have to wonder about the potassium content of all of the vegetables.  Does the soaking of the lentils greatly reduce the phosphorus content of the lentils?  I love lentils and have never met a legume I didn't like, so the pre-renal diet was heartbreaking in that regard.

Sorry MooseMom, I did not mean to answer late ...
,,, I believe the soaking of the lentils reduces quite a lot and cooking them for 40 minutes adds to the lentils becoming "easy digestible"...
... I can only go by my blood-test-results and there is no indication that I should avoid eating them...
Best wishes from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:55 AM »

I have forgotten about the pea salad.  My grandma makes it as well, I should get off my behind and make it myself.   ;D

OK, I have to admit I'm half stumped.  I had to Google 'mange tout' and 'petit pois'.  I made a WAG at 'pois' but the first had me totally in the dark.

Google let me down, barely a line saying peas, for both.  So I need a bit of clarification.  Snap, snow, baby, in the pod, etc.   I like them all.

Gramma taught me a llttle dish I like to take to pot luck or picnics.  Simple, and tasty.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 02:29:45 PM »

... An update of this favourite dish is that I also vary the Quinoa with ordinary pasta and it tastes very nice as well.
Bon appétit !

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »