I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:09:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Unexplained weight loss
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unexplained weight loss  (Read 3914 times)
Athena

« on: February 03, 2015, 07:20:31 AM »

How does 'wasting away' from CKD occur? My Neph has said that this occurs & I'm now battling with weight loss over the last  2 weeks, yet I am eating better than before. It all just suddenly happened as my serum creatinine levels started rising. Does kidney related weight loss only happen when there is appetite loss, nausea & a renal restricted diet or can it occur when one is eating well?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:50:07 AM by Athena » Logged

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »

How does 'wasting away' from CKD occur? My Neph has said that this occurs & I'm now battling with weight loss over the last  2 weeks, yet I am eating better than before. It all just suddenly happened as my serum creatinine levels started rising. Does kidney related weight loss only happen when there is appetite loss, nausea & a renal restricted diet or can it occur when one is eating well?
With kidney disease you can spill a lot of protein in your urine . That loss of proteins causes the "wasting".   That is another reason I don't like low protein diets. 

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Athena

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »

With kidney disease you can spill a lot of protein in your urine . That loss of proteins causes the "wasting".   That is another reason I don't like low protein diets.

Thanks Obsidianom for your reply. If there is a lot of protein being spilled in the urine, and there is 'wasting' in terms of weight, wouldn't the serum protein levels be too low? What other blood test results would also support this?

I do have frothy urine at nights, when most of my urination seems to take place. But I am eating more protein now to shore up my iron levels & hemoglobin.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
Athena

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:00:05 AM »

I'm eating well and in fact, now eating more. But today the scales showed that I am one kilo lighter. It may be just some normal fluid type of fluctuation however I am not gaining weight - my clothes are still loose & baggy. What's strange lately is that I am starting to feel hungry even after eating substantial meals. I have food cravings late at midnight as well which I satisfy with food.

I'm starting to think that I may have some other medical condition. I do have bouts of tiredness and nervous exhaustion but otherwise I feel energetic enough. What's really strange is the strong urge to eat all the time. I do feel much better after I've eaten as well. Has anyone been through something like this before or have some clue what this could be?

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:10:21 AM »

It could be "you think" you are eating a lot.  I remember all of a sudden being thin and not noticing any difference in my eating habits.  But, as I think about it I just got full easier.  One two bites did it for me.  I thought I was eating just normal...

When I got my transplant food tasted good again and only then did I realize how much I could eat.  Of course Prednisone helped with that.

:flower;

Athena

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »

The loss of a kilo was only transitory. I'm still needing to put some weight back on but at least I'm not going backwards. I don't think this is kidney related because my appetite is really quite strong & I feel no hint of nausea. My problem is that as a diabetic, I just can't eat a lot due to BG spikes. It's a real battle. When I've not eaten enough during the day, I have strong cravings for food at midnight! Something strange is going on with my metabolism it seems.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:29:36 PM by Athena » Logged

Athena

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 05:22:04 AM »

with relief I can happily say that there is no longer a weight loss issue. I've been eating well and I have put back on all of my previous lost weight. I am relieved!
Thanks everyone for your support.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »