I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:53:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Newbie in Canada
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie in Canada  (Read 2987 times)
justagirl2325

« on: January 08, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »

Hello, I am the wife of man on dialysis (42).  He was diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic when he young and his kidneys failed in June of 2014 (dropped to 6%).  He saw doctor July 2, got a catheter and started in centre hemo July 9.  His doctor recommended him to do home hemo 4 hours a session, 5 times a week.   We have been trained and have performed home hemo for the last month starting with 4 hour sessions, 3 times a week.  I was handling things ok until we went home.  Home hemo is alot harder on me than I thought it was going to be.  He's had a couple of scary sessions (passing out, getting sick, BP dropping while on the machine to 74/54) but he just takes them in stride as his attitude has always been that you can't control when you die so if it happens it happens.  He just had fistula surgery this week which seemed to go ok.  He had eye surgery last week as he lost vision in one eye due to his diabetes.  Hoping that recovers. 

I found this site over the summer but just decided to join now as he really doesn't want to listen to any of my concerns so I thought maybe someone here will  :)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:06:46 PM »

Welcome to the site justagirl2325

:welcomesign;

We'll always listen.   :angel;

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »

Welcome.  Here in the U.S. home dialysis care givers can take a break for a month and the patient has to go into the clinic for dialysis.  If it gets to you too bad ask about taking a break for a week or two to give yourself some mental rest. 

Hang in there.

Rerun, Admin.   :welcomesign;

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »

Welcome, justagirl12325!  My husband does home hemo and I am his Care Partner. We've been using a NxStage cycler for one year. I'm the one who hooks him up and runs the machine. We usually do the same length of treatment each time (we do 5x a week) for 3.50 hour sessions but, depending on his blood pressure at pre-treatment, I may set the UF rate to remove fluid from him faster or slower. For example, if my husband's blood pressure is on the low side pre-treatment, then we use a slower UF rate to avoid nausea and cramping. If we try to take too much fluid off of him too fast when his BP is low, he gets nauseated. I can always speed it up during treatment later if things are going well. If his BP is normal or even on the high side, then we set the UF rate to go a little faster. We check his BP and Pulse every 30 minutes. If we see his Systolic (the top number) getting below 100, I watch him like a hawk and check his BP every few minutes. Especially at the first sign of nausea. His, not mine...joke. If it gets much lower than that, I open the white saline clamps and give him a small saline bolus and slow down the UF rate. We decided that if he needs more than 2 saline boluses, then we take him off the machine but, since I've learned to slow down the UF rate and that has worked for him, we usually don't have to end early anymore, we just take it slower. That way we avoid saline boluses (adding fluid back on him) and he gets to complete a full treatment. Good luck to you. This stuff isn't always so easy but it feels good any time you get over another hurdle. Damned disease....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:59:38 PM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
justagirl2325

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »

Interesting, we use the AK-96 Self Care machine.  I'm not sure but I believe once we have set the amount of water to come off we can't change it.  We can only turn it off.  Which he's reluctant to do.

He went in clinic for dialysis Thursday (have to go once every two months) and they want him to start doing it every other day...he's fine as long as his weight stays relatively stable.  They've also told him to stop eating while he's on the machine (you think someone could have said something earlier). 

We'll see how it goes. 

Thanks for the welcome.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »

Interesting, we use the AK-96 Self Care machine.  I'm not sure but I believe once we have set the amount of water to come off we can't change it.  We can only turn it off.  Which he's reluctant to do.

He went in clinic for dialysis Thursday (have to go once every two months) and they want him to start doing it every other day...he's fine as long as his weight stays relatively stable.  They've also told him to stop eating while he's on the machine (you think someone could have said something earlier). 

We'll see how it goes. 

Thanks for the welcome.
My husband has Type II Diabetes and is Insulin dependent. He says as food digests, it affects blood pressure and can actually make it drop. He usually eats 3-4 hours before dialysis and afterwards but never during.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »

Hello, and  :welcomesign; to IHD...

I too was a carer for many years.... A tough road, but I wouldn't have changed it for anything....

I look forward to seeing you here posting often....

God bless...

Darth... Moderator...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »