I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:53:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Alarm 51 While Making Batch
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alarm 51 While Making Batch  (Read 6082 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« on: December 25, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »

Alarm 51 Output Pressure High   -We get this alarm quite often ever since we started using SAK 402's. None of the (visible) lines are ever kinked, I feel pretty certain that the SAK is not unfolding properly as it fills and is kinking the tubing that is inside the SAK. Usually when I get this alarm, I jiggle the SAK around in the tub or even unfold a little of it myself then the alarms stop happening. But some nights the alarm happens several times and having to keep jostling the SAK around inside the tub is getting old, let alone frustrating and exhausting. I suspect the additional tubing inside the 402 increases the chances of getting this alarm. We never got this alarm when we were using 302's. And it doesn't matter what Lot Number they (the 402's) come from, we've used different ones, so I think the 402's must have a higher occurrence of Alarm 51. It is becoming so bothersome that we are tempted to ask the Neph if we can go back to the 302's.

Anyone else get an Alarm 51 and have any suggestions or learned any tricks to loading a SAK 402 or any 400 series SAK that prevents this alarm from occurring? Thanks in advance.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
caregivertech1

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »

We use 302's but if this 51 alarm is new I'd think it was the 402's also. You might give tech support a call to report it. I find them very helpful.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »

Sorry, meant to post a followup a long time ago. I've learned to gently rock the SAK back and forth a little before taking it out of it's wrapper, sort of as a way to mix and loosen things up a bit. There is more tubing inside SAK 402's and something tells me that after they've been sitting a while in their box, the tubing needs to be jostled loose but gently.  I hold it in my hands with palms up and opened and gently rock the SAK back and forth. Kind of like when you were a kid playing with a Slinky (remember those? great fun!) Then, I turn the SAK over and rock it again. I even hold it up by two corners and rock it back and forth, turn it and hold by the other two corners and rock it again. When I put it in the tub and unfold it as per the Pureflow manual, then I gently go along the sides with my fingers and smooth out any creases or wrinkles. Been doing this more than a month now and no more alarms. Now, if some of you already knew this please feel free to be a smart-azz and tell me. Otherwise, let me think I just gave a good tip.   

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »

I haven't talked to NxStage about this but feel pretty certain that our Pureflow machine can sense the paranormal. Well, that is, foresee possible problems. A couple times now I have accidentally kinked one of the lines that lead in/out of the Pureflow Control Unit. Within seconds I found my mistake and corrected it. But upon pressing GO I'd get Alarm 51 (Output Pressure High alarm). I acknowledged the alarm but it immediately alarmed again. However, after acknowledging it a second time, it then moved on to "Making Batch" and all was well. So I am guessing that even before you press GO, it somehow knows if a line, even if only briefly, had been kinked. lol  Kind of spooky how it knows that. Anyways, thought I'd share this in case others are getting the A51 and thinking they have to start over with a new SAK. You might not have to.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »