I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  What is your favorite dialysis food/ pre-dialysis food?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your favorite dialysis food/ pre-dialysis food?  (Read 16315 times)
George Jung

« on: March 26, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »

I would like to learn more about renal diets.  I figure one way of doing that is to develop some recipes or improve on existing ones.  So, I am asking for your help and to get me started I would like to know some of your favorite eats, kidney friendly or not.  Personally, I have been eating whatever I like for the most part and still my last set of labs were great.  Well that leaves me with very little motivation to change what I am doing.  Maybe If I can help someone else with a recipe I will find the motivation to seek the knowledge that I, also, might need in the future.

Rolando - You will be the first my friend.  Do you want that chili recipe? ;)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:35:39 PM »

Pre Dialysis... Steak and Seafood.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »

Predialysis, all my favorite desserts were chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. 

Now, I'm replacing that with all kinds of berry cobblers, apple crisps, and when I'm really in the mood for something bad for me, sugar cookies.  I still need to lose weight, so I try to stay away from as much junk as I can, but I am learning to appreciate the desserts that still fit in the renal diet.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »

Pre and dialysis my thing is chocolate...dark chocolate, the darker the better.

I am learning to look for other sweets too. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
George Jung

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:19:43 PM »

Sluff - Steak and seafood is an easy one.  Let me put something togeather for you.

jbeany - I have a couple of ideas you may like.  I'll see if they work.

kitkatz - If you want to treat yourself .... do you like ganache?
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 10:21:57 PM »

Hey George I start Dialysis in 2 weeks, i would love the chili recipe, thanks

Cheers  Charee

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »

Never had ganache.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »

eggrolls and i can still eat them !

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:10:16 PM »

I load up on salty stuff before hemodialysis. Not only does it satisfy my cravings, I also feel much better during treatment if I do that. Those pre-packaged rice and pasta things that you boil are some of the things I love. I avoid the ones that need milk; I don't keep milk in the house. Also, I will sometimes have all-natural no-nitrate/nitrite added cold cuts/turkey hot dogs before treatment. Hormel and Oscar Meyer make those all natural meats, and I think Willshire Farms makes those turkey dogs. They are high in sodium, so I don't eat them at other times. And yet other times I'll just loooooove to get into some Campbell's Chunky soup before dialysis. Watch out though, the "Healthy Request" versions have higher amounts of potassium.

1987 summer (age 9), Renal biopsy confirms kidney disease (Alport Syndrome).
2001 January (age 22), Arterio-venous fistula put in left forearm.
2002 March (age 23), Started in-center hemodialysis (12 years!).
2014 April (age 35), Now training for self home hemodialysis with NxStage.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:23:10 AM »

Pre-Dialysis... dairy, dairy and more dairy.

On dialysis, Still had dairy but tried to cut it down a lot.

Post-Transplant, I can have anything... but I am trying to lose 20 lbs, so I am TRYING to eat healthier, so instead of having chocolate cake for desert, I choose something like fruits.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »

and marion berry pie

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
lamillinger913

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »

Pre-dialysis, I'm with angela515 --- Dairy. Oreos and a big glass of cold milk. Yogurt. And chocolate, of course. Ice cream --- dulce de leche especially.

Post-dialysis ... well, I like steak and seafood, cherry pie, angel food cake, sugar cookies.

In my tagline, I have a link to the Web site where I have a lot of dialysis-friendly recipes posted. It's called Eating Well on Dialysis.

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
George Jung

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »

Chili is one of many favorite things I like to eat.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Although this recipe is not targeted for a renal diet, it can be eaten with moderate to little concern.  Just as I origionally posted, I want to learn about eating properly wile on dialysis so I thought we could do something for eachother.  You give me something that you want or like to eat and I will try to make it work.  That goes for pre-dialysis people too.  I'm glad to know all of your favorite eats but that is not really what I was looking for out of this thread.  Thank you and enjoy.

Ro - this one is for you, hope you try it out and like it. ;D

Chili (with a kick!)
Serves 6 - 8

1/4 lb bacon - cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 lbs ground beef
2 lbs ground pork
vegetable oil
1 white onion - small to medium dice
1 - 2 fresh jalapenos  chopped fine.  leave the seeds out if you want less spicy, that's where the heat is.
6 garlic cloves - chopped fine as you can.
1 1/2 tbls dried oregano
1/3 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tbls ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper - more or less also contributes to heat
14 oz beef broth - low sodium!
1 cup brewed coffee - yes. coffee.  the darker the better.
1 cup water
3 tbls coco powder.  sound strange right?  I love this ingredient but you can omit it for health reasons.
28 oz crushed tomatoes - generally I would add 32 oz or so and another 28 oz of stewed tomatoes but this one    we need to watch out for.   
(2) 18 oz cans of red beans or kidney beans - another one to watch out for.  I really like the beans!  They make after chili time rooty tooty. ;)  Just leave them out if necessary or just add half.  Don't forget to rinse and drain.

Toppers:  Mmmm cheese, chopped red onion, fresh cilantro (love this herb), avocado, lime wedges, sour cream (dairy aleart), tortilla chips.  Pick any of these or maybe just some low salt crackers.

Preparation:

render bacon in large heavy duty stock pot over med heat until almost crisp
add some vegetable oil if necessary
add onion and stir for a minute or two
add jalapeno and stir for a minute
add garlic and stir for 1 minute
add beef and pork and brown
add remaining ingredients except for the beans
simmer for an hour or two
you can skim some fat off the top with a spoon
30 minutes or so before it is ready add the beans

there you have it...enjoy

remember I am lookin' for feedback about nutrition and such so critique away!

Almost forgot - you can substitue kitty, kitty, for the pork.   yum, yum, good! ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:07:07 AM by George Jung » Logged
George Jung

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 12:58:22 AM »

Collocate Ganache

You can do near about anything you like with ganache simply by adjusting it's consistency.  How do you do that?  Well making ganache is very simple.  It consists of heavy cream and chocolate, both no, no's if you are trying to loose weight or on dialysis but is sooo good!  I like to eat it with fresh fruit or drizzle it over a strawberry shortcake or something like that.

Start with warming up a pint of heavy cream in a sauce pot over medium heat.
Once hot, lower temp to low setting and begin adding your chocolate of choice.  I perfer the good stuff but Hersey's chips will work.  You will need to finely chop the chocolate if it comes in bar form. Use a food processor if available.  Next, just start adding chocolate a little at a time until it melts and becomes very smooth.  When you think you are close to the desired consistancy, pull sauce pot from heat and finish adding any chocolate.  It will thicken slightly under room temp or you can cool it in the fridge and eat a spoonfull at a time.

Hope you enjoy this one!  If I were pre-dialysis I would eat this every day.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »

Chili is one of many favorite things I like to eat.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Although this recipe is not targeted for a renal diet, it can be eaten with moderate to little concern.  Just as I origionally posted, I want to learn about eating properly wile on dialysis so I thought we could do something for eachother.  You give me something that you want or like to eat and I will try to make it work.  That goes for pre-dialysis people too.  I'm glad to know all of your favorite eats but that is not really what I was looking for out of this thread.  Thank you and enjoy.

Ro - this one is for you, hope you try it out and like it. ;D

Chili (with a kick!)
Serves 6 - 8

1/4 lb bacon - cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 lbs ground beef
2 lbs ground pork
vegetable oil
1 white onion - small to medium dice
1 - 2 fresh jalapenos  chopped fine.  leave the seeds out if you want less spicy, that's where the heat is.
6 garlic cloves - chopped fine as you can.
1 1/2 tbls dried oregano
1/3 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tbls ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper - more or less also contributes to heat
14 oz beef broth - low sodium!
1 cup brewed coffee - yes. coffee.  the darker the better.
1 cup water
3 tbls coco powder.  sound strange right?  I love this ingredient but you can omit it for health reasons.
28 oz crushed tomatoes - generally I would add 32 oz or so and another 28 oz of stewed tomatoes but this one    we need to watch out for.   
(2) 18 oz cans of red beans or kidney beans - another one to watch out for.  I really like the beans!  They make after chili time rooty tooty. ;)  Just leave them out if necessary or just add half.  Don't forget to rinse and drain.

Toppers:  Mmmm cheese, chopped red onion, fresh cilantro (love this herb), avocado, lime wedges, sour cream (dairy aleart), tortilla chips.  Pick any of these or maybe just some low salt crackers.

Preparation:

render bacon in large heavy duty stock pot over med heat until almost crisp
add some vegetable oil if necessary
add onion and stir for a minute or two
add jalapeno and stir for a minute
add garlic and stir for 1 minute
add beef and pork and brown
add remaining ingredients except for the beans
simmer for an hour or two
you can skim some fat off the top with a spoon
30 minutes or so before it is ready add the beans

there you have it...enjoy

remember I am lookin' for feedback about nutrition and such so critique away!

Almost forgot - you can substitue cat fofr the pork.   yum, yum, good! ;D

wow, killer recipe mate....rest assured i will try it, especially the cat substitution, lol. thanks so much for thinking of me and as i said beore i love chili.

cheers, your friend

Rolando

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 03:54:33 AM »

Thanks for this great chili recipe!

But what about the values?  Calories, Protein, Phosphorus, and Potassium?
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 07:32:06 AM »

I like the sound of that chili- I tried to invent some last month-it came out tasting like taco meat-lol I will try yours,it sounds wonderful!

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 11:47:02 AM »

I miss my dairy products. I love cheese, am only allowed one slice, per day. Since I am CAPD, I can have protein, and lots of it!
So I get my meats, but am still not to have chocolate, colas, etc., as everyone else is not allowed. I can't have beans, I miss those.
I miss tomatoes too, my favorite ethnic foods were Italian and Mexican. Bad stuff right off the bat, for me!! Darn it.
George Jung

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »

Sluff - when it comes to steak and seafood I like a simple approach so to enjoy the quality of the protein.

"Surf and Turf"
My favorite steak cut is a ribeye.  One with even marbling (fat) will have the best flavor and cut at least an inch thick.
Besides seasoning with salt and pepper (fresh ground is the only pepper I know) a good marinade will rock it up.

One of my favorite: for 2 - 3 steaks
Half can of beer.  Use your favorite because you know what to do with the other half! :beer1;
5 - 6 shakes of worchestchire sauce  (will add some sodium but not as much if used as a sauce)
2- 3 shakes of Tabasco sauce
some minced garlic - just a little - you can use the jar kind
apricot marmalade = to amount of beer

Marinade for as long as you can wait - a day or two is choice
Ready to cook?  Remove steaks from marinade, season to your liking and grill medium rare!

Shrimp - 1lb
16 - 20 ct or bigger (thats 16 -20 shrimp = 1lb.  bigger the shrimp smaller the count)
fresh garlic - 1 clove - minced fine
1 shallot - minced fine
1 Roma tomato seeded and diced small
dash of whit wine if available - it's good but not completely necessary.
pat of butter
olive oil - maybe a tablespoon
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro - chopped as fine as you can (for this recipe)

First heat saute pan until hot - med/med hi
Add olive oil and butter
Add shallot and stir for 1 min
Add garlic and stir for about a minute
Add shrimp - saute until half way cooked (side note - saute is a French term meaning "to jump".
Add shot of wine and stir around
Add tomato and continue to cook - shrimp should almost be done
At the very end add cilantro.  (fresh herbs at the end, dry, in the beginning.)  If you enjoy this herb as much as I do you will use the other half to garnish (also chopped fine)

I would enjoy this meal with the compliments of some grilled corn on the cobb and a big fat baked potato (loaded of course!).  Obviously you can enjoy whatever you are in the mood for, there are no wights or wrongs when it comes to what you like.

Enjoy buddy, I sure would like to join you when you make this one!
George Jung

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 03:30:18 PM »

Sluff - it just dawned on me...aren't yo supposed to avoid steak (pre-dialysis)?  Well enjoy it anyway!
George Jung

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 09:39:15 AM »

angela515 - I really like fruit and/or berry parfaits during spring and summer months.  You can make this as a yummy low calorie or you load it up if you're feeling naughty. >:D

Strawberry parfait:
Serves ? Depends on portion controll but at least two.

2 pints of strawberries (I always eat some while preparing these so I buy a little more than you really need  ;D)
1 1/2 cups Italian style almond macroons or you can use any flavor biscotti you enjoy.
1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt

1/4 remaining strawberries reserving a few for topping as garnish
macerate berries with some sugar until you have a nice sauce.  skip this if you want to leave out added sugar, it will be ok.
chop the macaroons

In a wine glass -  you are going to make layers
spoon some strawberries - spoon some macaroons - scoop yogurt - drizzle sauce from berries - repeat to the top of the glass.  Top with halved strawberries, macaroon crumbles, and a last drizzle if you have any left.

* you can substitute any low fat/calorie yogurt, frozen or not.  I never would but you can!  :2thumbsup;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 09:42:57 AM »

That sounds SO yummy George, when I go to the store this weekend, I'll getting the ingredients, thanks! :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »

Um, George?  I think you need to be on the Food Network my friend, you have some excellent recipes here  :2thumbsup;  (Damn, i wish you lived closer) ;) 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »

Thank so much for the kind words Susie.  I have had an excellent opportunity to attend a culinary school as well as work for a few rather good chefs.  I truly enjoy working with and preparing all kinds of food.  My friends have never minded either. :)  If there is something you might like me to look at (a recipe) for you or if you just have an idea of what you might like I would be more that happy to see what I can do with it.  Best of everything -
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »

Damn George, come cook for me!

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »