I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Travel w/ NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel w/ NxStage  (Read 7773 times)
chuckdims

« on: December 13, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »

I have traveled plenty of times since starting dialysis (I have dialyzed in five states already!), but I've always gone in center.  I'm going to Washington, D.C. next year and plan to take my NxStage out of town for the first time.  Any tips?  I am extraordinarily nervous!

1986 - Born w/ Deformed Ureters
1989 - Bilateral Reimplantation of Ureters (Emory University -- Atlanta, GA USA)
2004 - Reduced Kidney Function Noted on Bloodwork, Kidney Biopsy Performed, Diagnosed w/ Stage III FSGS
2012 - AV Fistula Placed (University of Kansas -- Kansas City, KS USA)
2013 - Started In-Center Hemodialysis (September)
2014 - Started Home Hemodialysis on NxStage (July)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »

Just plan. Are you going long? Can you take your own bags, or do they need to be delivered?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
chuckdims

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »

I am going a Friday through a Friday.  I will do four treatments there.  I had planned to have everything shipped there so I wouldn't have to take it all in the car. 

1989 - Bilateral Reimplantation of Ureters (Emory University -- Atlanta, GA USA)
2004 - Reduced Kidney Function Noted on Bloodwork, Kidney Biopsy Performed, Diagnosed w/ Stage III FSGS
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »

When I go for a week or so, I take 1 session with me in the car, just in case, extra picks, Tinzap, gauze, needles etc. Oh, and binbags. Most normal things you can buy anyway, as long as your going to a 'civilized' place.

I did buy a 'mother and babybag' which is very handy to keep things together. I put used sharps in a washbag.
Where are your bags delivered? When they are delivered to someone I know. I ask them to be delivered a few days early, ask them to make pictures of the labels, so I know what's there. If not I let them deliver the day after I arrive (hence the 1 session in the car) so I can still arrange more to be delivered if needed.

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

chuckdims

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »

That's what I was thinking, take my own bags for one treatment just to be safe.  I hope my nurse has a checklist or something of things I need to take.  I would hate to forget something important.

I will be staying at a hotel, so I don't even know how that is going to work.

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »

When I stayed in a hotel I rang the hotel. The manager felt very important (?) and made sure the boxes were delivered 'under his care' All went great. I hope you'll have an experience like that too.

Luck, and love, Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »

We travel with our NxStage a lot.

We make Pottery and sell it at craft shows.

We carry all the supplies we need with us just in case

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »

Question: When travelling by car, is it easy to borrow/check out one of those hard-sided or soft-sided cases for the cycler from your center or, are most people told they have to buy their own from NxStage? Or do you just put the cycler in the trunk and go? Just wondering in case we want to take a trip and drive somewhere.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »

I think it depends on your clinic.

When we first started our clinic bought us the soft case we use it many time a year.

The clinic we are with now does not even have one.

I would think it is in there best interest to provide you with one other wise they may need to over night you a new machine if it gets damaged.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

I think it depends on your clinic.

When we first started our clinic bought us the soft case we use it many time a year.

The clinic we are with now does not even have one.

I would think it is in there best interest to provide you with one other wise they may need to over night you a new machine if it gets damaged.
We haven't planned any trips yet but wondered if people have to beg for a travel case from their clinic and then go thru scrutiny about their trip or if asking for a travel case is no big deal. The fact that you guys travel often to sell your pottery is an inspiration. Both because of doing pottery (an art form) and for travelling and doing dialysis while on the go. Give us hope. Thanks.

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »

I have traveled plenty of times since starting dialysis (I have dialyzed in five states already!), but I've always gone in center.  I'm going to Washington, D.C. next year and plan to take my NxStage out of town for the first time.  Any tips?  I am extraordinarily nervous!
There is lots to do and see in DC. I went there many years ago for one week and that is not nearly long enough to see it all. We hope to go back someday. Don't know if you will be doing any sightseeing but I was told that the guided bus tours are better than driving yourself around and figuring out where to park and then all the walking involved makes for some very tiring days. Especially in the summer heat. They said the guided tours are also very informational as there were no "guides" at the monuments and other sights. Whatever your plans, print yourself up an itinerary to stick to, you'll be glad you did.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 01:31:07 PM »

Hard sided case acts as great table in case hotel doesn't have something sturdy enough in room

Get NxStage to deliver dialysate.  If it doesn't turn up they will expedite some.  Don't take it, as it is one more thing to think of, and/or get lost in transit.  Your unit can order it from NxStage.

Take this guidance with you if you are flying:
http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/Portable_Dialysis_Machine_Notice.pdf

If you use Baxter saline, they can shop your saline, too.

Suggest getting a folding cart that machine and everything else can go on.  Soon pays for itself over those trolleys at airport.

Have plenty of tip money for taxi drivers, redcaps and anyone  ekse who helps you.

All medial equipment travels for free, but do not pack non medical supplies in same case because then they can charge you.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
cbatsea

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »

Most hotels will deliver a sharps container to you, if you ask!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »