I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  ... Thinking of "Bimbo"...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ... Thinking of "Bimbo"...  (Read 3174 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: November 09, 2014, 06:52:43 AM »

... Sometimes I think of “Bimbo” ...
Many years ago I hoped to locate a Kidney-Charity here in the UK that could assist me to refine my kidney-friendly diet & life-style further
and perhaps assist me to keep my “two little fighters” functioning a little longer...
... On my research I came across one Kidney-Charity that was set up by the mother of “Bimbo”...
“Bimbo” suffered exactly from the same “Chronic Proliferative Glomerulonephritis” kidney-disease as I do and we were also about the same age...
“Bimbo” had, what I only could dream of: he had very loving and caring parents who were completely dedicated to help him medically and otherwise...
(I had no relatives to help me whilst I was struggling with my kidney disease, I also struggled to study philosophy and literature at the same time
and I had to take on regular student-jobs to support myself all on my own financially ...)
... I had to work during the whole time of my studies with all sorts of student-jobs, despite being very unwell at all times... I was very often on sick-leave
and I was regularly struggling to carry on with “my” kidney disease and my studies at the same time, which was sometimes almost a little too much...
I hardly had any social life, because the disease, sick leave and my studies practically took all my time...
In comparison, “Bimbo’s” mother set-up a Kidney-Charity to help not only "Bimbo", but to assist other kidney sufferers as well
(whereas the people who brought me up couldn't care less whether my kidneys functioned or not... or how I was doing...)
“Bimbo” had loving relatives looking after him at all times (I had no relatives).
“Bimbo” had a transplant very early on, but it did not work for him and he had to go back on dialysis and then he died later...
... I think about “Bimbo” regularly, because he had all I could only dream of ...  and we were of the same age ...
and we were both suffering from Chronic Proliferative Glomerulonephritis...
Sometimes I almost feel a little guilty, because I am still going strong and have not even started with dialysis yet,
despite suffering from exactly the same kidney disease, whereas "Bimbo" did go through all the processes available for kidney-failures very early on, 
and some years later his body could not take it any longer... Sometimes I almost feel a little guilty when I think of "Bimbo"...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:58:18 AM »

P.S. Someone just told me that "Bimbo" is a bit derogatory as a name,
but I never knew him by any other name because "Bimbo" was the pet-name his family gave him
and I am pretty sure, it was not meant derogatory at all...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

:grouphug;

It has to be hard seeing someone who should have made it, not succeed. Especially knowing you had everything against you, but you're still here and fighting. Sometimes I wonder if having everything going for you isn't always such a good thing. When you have to fight for everything, you learn the skills to do absolutely everything in your power to succeed. I think if you don't build those skills, it might be more difficult to do what you need to do. I've seen how much you research everything, how diligent you are about your diet, and bringing new ideas to your doctors. It doesn't make it any easier to watch someone pass though.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

Thanks for your kind thoughts, Deanne.
Perhaps it is connected to the fact that "Bimbo" had his family assisting and helping him at all times,
that he did not need to develop his skills of survival and perhaps that was the reason why he did not try everything possible to survive...
... It was very strange for me to see that we both suffered from the very same kidney disease which hit us both at a very early age
and I have been on a constant look-out and constant research for a better diet, search better medical treatments, better doctors
and better whatever at all times for so many years, trying out practically everything possible over the years to keep my kidney function going,
whereas he had dialysis and an early transplant ...  and then his body refused to continue at such an early age...
... it still makes me wonder ... and you are right, it does not make it any easier to watch someone pass through...

Thanks again from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
JW77

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »

You might have been thinking of Timbo?

Bimbo is brit slang for a dumb blonde, usually good looking but of little brain!

More derogatory than 'having a blond moment' which means being forgetful or scatterbrained!

Elezabeth Ward was the mother of Timbo, who founded the British Kidney Patients Association in 1975. She did what many mothers would do, fight for her son. She passed away a few years ago, but the BKPA is still a strong charity. http://www.britishkidney-pa.co.uk/about-us

The Book named after him is still available.

I'm sorry to hear you had a tough time by.. One of my best friends, who also started support for younger patients in the UK (which is now the Young NKF)  was blamed for being ill by her own mother..  Its a harsh world I think. She passed away at 22 years old.

The early days of dialysis and transplantation were difficult I think, very difficult. With only 2 or 3 drugs. I was one of the first 50 child transplantees in the UK. I stuck my own needles after I felt like giving up, at 10.

Read his story, if you can get the book and you will understand. Its not a big book, just a paperback, but tells the story from the heart.

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »

Thank you JW77, I stand corrected and I am very glad that you have informed me ...
because that makes it easier for me to order another copy of this book  ...
... I also remember the story as a very touching story which truly comes from the heart...
Many years ago my own copy of this book "walked out on me" during one of my many moves as a student
and by then I had forgotten the correct title of the book and mixed it up with "Bimbo"...
... By the way: I was not aware that the name "Bimbo" is usually meant derogatory,
because where I grew up I visited one "Bimbo" regularly...
... and I thought very highly of him... and I respected him very much...
"Bimbo" was the very wise elephant who was very kind and had an amazing memory
and he was extremely clever and I respected and liked him very much...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
JW77

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »

Glad to be of help.

I've met Mrs Ward a few times in my life, Timbo passed away I think shortly after I was born, and the BKPA was beginning to pick up. I do remember she worked with a true English gent, Alex Swartz who was the mastermind of many a fundraiser for the BKPA.

Best..

J

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:40:47 AM »

Thank you JW77 for the information,
it is very much appreciated.
Best wishes from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »