I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Steriod induced Diabetic
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steriod induced Diabetic  (Read 2854 times)
robinj2

« on: November 03, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »

Hello

I received a transplant in June of this year.  I monitored my blood sugar everyday and over a 3 day period my blood sugar soared to over 600.  I began taking insulin and got it under control.  In month 4 my blood sugar started dropping so I reduced the amount of insulin I was taking, per my doctor.  My TAC was adjusted (lowered) my my Renal doctor and all of a sudden my blood sugar is increasing again.  It's like I am becoming insulin resistant when my TAC is reduced.  Doesn't really make sense.  Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »

I've not experienced this, but I do know that all transplant patients are at risk for drug-induced diabetes.  You are still in the early days of your post tx care, and I am sure your team of docs will adjust your meds so that your blood sugar will be controlled. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »

What's been happening with your dose of prednisone through this? Many years ago (pre-D), I was on a high dose of prednisone and my blood sugar level went to 1500. They pulled me off prednisone as quickly as they safely could and the diabetes went away.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »