I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:59:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What's your favorite TV show right now?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite TV show right now?  (Read 49861 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 08:00:43 AM »

My all-time favorite has to be ER.

I was working in a hospital at the time it came out.  I would watch that and Gray's Anatomy back to back on Thursday nights.  I would be a sobbing mess when ER was over each week.  On Fridays at lunch, we would discuss ER with the nurses that had moved over to the IT department and they would tell me what parts of it were BS and which parts were accurate.

What would u all say your all time favourite show is? From whenever?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »

I think my favorite show of all time is One Foot in the Grave.  You'd be laughing, and then all of a sudden something would happen, and you'd find yourself with tears in your eyes.  Justified comes in a close second.  I love TV that has truly outstanding writing. 

Lainiepop, I have not heard of Inspector George Gently;  I'll have to go see if it is available here.

I remember Jonathan Creek from decades ago.  Have they made a remake of it with new characters?  I'll have to check on that, too.

The US version of The Killing, season 4, is tremendous.  Incredibly tense.  I love Linden and Holder and like the way it all ended.  Let me know what you think once you've seen it!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:21 AM »

Better Call Saul.

If you are a US Netflix subscriber, route your traffic through the UK to see it now (unavailable in the US).  Google for the "HOLA" Chrome browser extension.
lainiepop

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »

Meant to ask have any of you seen 'Grace point" the US version of broadchurch?

One of my all time faces was 'waking the dead' a UK detective thing. I'm a fan of those sort of shows;)

Moosemom 'George gently' is a detective drama set in the 1960s similar time period to Grantchester?!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »

Meant to ask have any of you seen 'Grace point" the US version of broadchurch?

One of my all time faces was 'waking the dead' a UK detective thing. I'm a fan of those sort of shows;)

Moosemom 'George gently' is a detective drama set in the 1960s similar time period to Grantchester?!

I had never even heard of Gracepoint.  Just googled it and was surprised to see that David Tennant is in the lead role as he is in Broadchurch.  I might check it out OnDemand just for the novelty value.

Speaking of Broadchurch, I was so surprised to see Pauline Quirke!  I remembered her from Birds of a Feather; lainiepop, did you ever see that show?  In looking at info about Gracepoint, I see that Jacki Weaver is playing the Susan Wright character.  Now, I adore Jacki Weaver.  If you can, watch the Australian movie Animal Kingdom, and you will be a fan of hers forever!

I never saw Waking the Dead, but I do vaguely remember it being on tv.

I can stream George Gently on either Netflix or Hulu, so I'll probably do that sometime soon.  Looking at the pictures from it, it does look familiar. 

Oh, I'm looking forward to the new season of Orphan Black on BBC America.

AND I have found out that there is a new season of Foyle's War that's been shown in the UK.  Is that right, lainiepop?  I love that show and am hoping it will be coming to PBS very soon.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lainiepop

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 06:10:16 AM »

I don't watch Foyles War but my parents do, I think its been showing this last month.

Yes I love birds of a feather love watching the repeats. Did u know they have done 2 new seasons, one last yr and second just finished airing, with the 3 original girls! Pauline Quirk has been in lots of things and I think before they shot the new birds of a feather the girls did live shows of it on stage.

One thing starting this week from America is "Critical'. I'm not a big fan of medical dramas (well we live it right?!) But its had a lot of hype has anyone seen it?

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »

I am still watching the Homicide Hunter Season with Lt. J. Kenna "chairing" and explaining different cases...
I feel very priviledged to watch the films and listen to what he says, because he has "seen it all" and really sounds
like a "seasoned" University Professor of criminology... which is most interesting because I never would have guessed
that there could be so much thought behind every single crime...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 01:55:21 PM »

I remember Jonathan Creek from decades ago.  Have they made a remake of it with new characters?  I'll have to check on that, too.

I remember being fascinated by "Jonathan Creek" when it first started, perhaps it was "the right film at the right moment",
but then it started to become a little predictable, like a "well tried out" formula for a successful series...
and because of that it lost its appeal altogether ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »

The hubby and I have been watching Arrow on Netflix.  I was not so sure about it and watched it mainly for him, but I really like it.

Other favorites:
The Walking Dead
American Horror Story
The Following
Hemlock Grove (Netflix Original horror series.)
Ghost Adventures

We like scary stuff.  LOL

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 11:07:31 AM »

We like scary stuff.  LOL
Should help with adapting to dialsys  ::)
Bambino_Bear

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »

:rofl;

So true.

I am a caregiver to my wonderful husband,  He is 4p and started PD October 2013. We have several living donors waiting to be tested for a transplant. Dialysis is a bridge to get us where we need to go. 
He had a transplant in November 2019.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 12:24:38 AM »

American Idol has started again and I love that they no longer make fun of people who try out and are so awful they shouldn't be shown, then embarrassed.
Also like House of Cards, Shameless, Downton Abbey, Broadchurch, Episodes, Homeland and Project Runway. Oh and I started watching Survivor, we'll see how that goes.
I record everything,  and skip through commercials, so it' not as bad as it looks.  :P

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MuddyGurl

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 01:26:35 AM »

I live in noSignalLand..so I must pay $$$$$$ for DirectTV to get even static… and last year I added Showtime as it seems to offer 20 different channels.

I get fascinated with reality..because they are actuality NOT real reality..and my scriptwriter brain starts figuring WHICH scenes were maybe REAL, and which were planned to perfection to seem 'real' ….I can almost diagram them.

PURE BRAIN CANDY

Little Women, both coasts, and Tara's Little Family. TLF cracks  me up this feisty as hell 30 something rocker actress gets knocked up by her live in BF [ out of 6 LA women the only one NOT planning for a baby gets preggers??  was that 'reality' planned??]  ..and actually shows some real emotion, no makeup (well, that is planned as part of 'real reality', as actresses are oK to look ugly and plain sometimes when the role calls for  it.)

and I found her drummer/actor BF was  showing to be a real niece human when the baby came.. BOTH of them were seemingly shallow all thru the LA show..but Tarra is the producer..she got smart quick,   she directs this program, and it keeps them from having to hustle as elves in Hollywood.

My BIG GRIPE both Coast shows is HOW MANY FIGHTS are in each episode.. and then they all fly off to pleasure land1. cold weather fun. 2. hot weather island fun 3. Outdoor adventure fun 4. Party down in New Orleans fun…so F'ing phony.   

If it is meant to show us they have real problems and real relationship pains it is over the top..NOBODY is that ready to punch each other out.. then thent kiss and makeup.

UH,  wait, why are these my favorite shows???  Oh yeah..also My Big Fat Fabulous Life…...she IS funny!
casper2636

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »

I like the Shark Tank and The Profit. They both show some great ideas and innovative ways to fix every day problems. They also apply common business sense and room for it's applications for perpetual growth. Good ingenuity and imaginations. Too bad the average Joe has to "sell" to a millionaire to get the opportunity to make it big. That's being at the right place at the right time with lucky stars in your pocket! http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/Smileys/classic/new_flower.gif. I could learn some Business sense from it.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »

I can't believe no one mentioned my favorites.

Life Bellow Zero
Tanked
Insane Pools
Columbo (not exactly new, but still a favorite)
Vicar of Dibley (also old)
I used to watch Paranormal Egypt for a good laugh. They're on YouTube and hilariously fake. Did you know King Tut spoke English?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »

I loved Vicar of Dibley!!!  I have most episodes on DVD and will watch them again from time to time.

okarol, I was trying to remember who it was who also liked Broadchurch...it was you!  I loved that show.

I've just finished House of Cards on Netflix and am looking forward to starting the new season of Orange is the New Black.

My husband and I always look forward to The Graham Norton Show and Men In Blazers, which is a weekly show by 2 British expats who go over the highlights of the weekend's action in the English Premier League (soccer).  It's aimed toward American audiences and so has many American cultural references (Game of Throne analogies are rampant).  I've followed English football for years since I lived over there, but my husband knows nothing about the game, yet he has to have his Men in Blazers fix.  So we are in mourning now that the season is over until August.  But the Men in Blazers have a podcast; you should hear them bang on about Sepp Blatter!  LOL!

I do love Game of Thrones and Veep.  Vice is extremely interesting.  We've recorded the new season of Orphan Black and plan to binge watch it.  I'm looking forward to new shows starting in the summer, like True Detective.

lainiepop

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »

I liked vicar of dibly too. They air oldies on a channel called gold over here. Like dibly, birds of a feather, only fools and horses etc.

Moosemom has season 2 of broadchurch aired in the US yet? I've just finished watching the US remake  gracepoint and much preferred that ending!

True detective season 2 airs here inna couple wks, wonder if we,ll need subtitles for the accent again!! Second season of murder in the first is starting too, really loved the first one.

Just finished the 4th (and final?!) Series of revenge too.

1984 - urostomy op
lainiepop

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »

Just watched seasons 1 and 2 of 'orphan black'. We loved it watched it back to back the last couple of weeks. Season 3 has just aired in the US but no news on when it's out in UK yet :(

1984 - urostomy op
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »

Just watched seasons 1 and 2 of 'orphan black'. We loved it watched it back to back the last couple of weeks. Season 3 has just aired in the US but no news on when it's out in UK yet :(

We have all 10 eps of season 3 on DVR but have not yet had the time to watch them.  I see a weekend of binge watching coming up after we've returned from summer hols.

We've been watching "Crimson Field" and the new version of "Poldark".  We've started Season 2 of "True Detective", and despite the show being pretty much panned here in the US, we like it.

I'm watching "Mr. Robot" and "Deutchland 83", a German series (8 eps) showing on The Sundance Channel. 

Lainiepop, Season 2 of Broadchurch has come and gone here in the US; I loved both seasons.  I don't think there will be a Season 2 of "Gracepoint".  I glanced at the last ep of Gracepoint (I didn't know it existed until you mentioned it) and couldn't see a difference between that ending and the one in Broadchurch.  Perhaps I should have watched the whole ep.  What was the main difference?

justagirl2325

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »

Ray Donovan.  Season 3 has started and I love that show.
lainiepop

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »

Arrr moosemom I so wanna watch season 3 now!! Is it just me who loved the Helena character?! Lol, once she wasn't quite the maniac as first portrayed ( my daughter's name is Elena lol but sometimes people call her Helena?!) I also like Alison, plenty of humour even in the serious tones.

We are on I think episode 6 or 7 of true detective and it's OK but getting a bit lost in the storyline. Gonna start season 2 of murder in the first as almost got them all taped on sky planner.

The difference in gracepoint ending (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!) was the dad didn't do it, the son (his friend did). It was an accident. He'd been watching his dad meet Danny saw Danny ran off the in anger ran at his dad with a hockey stick, not realising as he took a swing Danny ran back telling him it was all OK, the swing hit Danny in the head. I only felt better ending becahsey with season 2 of broadchurch the dad is backtracking and saying he didn't commit the murder after previously confessing in season 1, I feel they're trying to drag it out as why would he confess unless to protect his son? Maybe broadchurch will do same ending just spread over 3 seasons?!

Justagirl r u in the UK? I can't find season 3 started anywhere!

1984 - urostomy op
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »

Oh wow, lainiepop...that IS a very different ending!!!

I know that a lot of UK peeps who liked Broadchurch season 1 didn't like S2 so much.  I think that might be because the show changed really from a murder mystery to a courtroom drama, and I happen to like both.  Also, S2 focused on how a small, tightly knit community can turn on itself in the face of such a terrible crime committed by one of its own.  I personally hope that S3 will show that the dad DID do it and that the story will become about how Broadchurch as a whole and the families in particular can or cannot come to terms with it.

OR, maybe the dad (who I think did do it) will be found not guilty because the evidence has been so compromised, and he/Broadchurch/the families will have to deal with THAT!

lainiepop

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »

Can i just ask has anyone watched 'Sense8' ? or 'The Leftovers?' These were 2 hubby suggested off netflix/sky box sets, but i said let's do orphan black (glad i did!). 'the Leftovers'  was made by producers of 'Lost'

1984 - urostomy op
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

I enjoy at the moment some of the 1959-1963 TV-series "The Untouchables"... (courtesy of youtube)
Based on the memoir of the same name by Eliot Ness and Oscar Fraley, it fictionalized Ness' experiences as a Prohibition agent,
fighting crime in Chicago in the 1930s with the help of a special team of agents handpicked for their courage,
moral character and incorruptibility, nicknamed "The Untouchables".
The acting by Robert Stack and all the other actors is very impressive ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 12:25:50 AM »

I enjoy at the moment some of the 1959-1963 TV-series "The Untouchables"... (courtesy of youtube)
Based on the memoir of the same name by Eliot Ness and Oscar Fraley, it fictionalized Ness' experiences as a Prohibition agent,
fighting crime in Chicago in the 1930s with the help of a special team of agents handpicked for their courage,
moral character and incorruptibility, nicknamed "The Untouchables".
The acting by Robert Stack and all the other actors is very impressive ...

I loved that series! I also liked the movie version with Kevin Costner, Sean Connery (he's one of my faves) and Robert De Niro (another one of my favorites). However, the movie was directed by Brian De Palma and his movies are known to be very explicit and violent, so I warn people...

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »