I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Going back to work after transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going back to work after transplant  (Read 3734 times)
Southpaw

« on: September 28, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »

I received a transplant on June 3; after 14 months of dialysis.  My fiancé donated to me.  I went back to work after 3 months but after 2 weeks at work had an issue with a virus.  Dr told me it is too soon to go back to work.  He has put me off for 3 more months. Not sure how my Boss will handle this.  Has anyone gone back to work sooner than 6 months and should honor the doctors decision for me to take 3 more months off or just ignore it and go back to work.  He told me kidneys are hard to come by and I don't want to lose this one.  Yes, I don't want to lose my kidney but i do have to pay bills.  Any thoughts??
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »

My team told me they typically approved patients to be off work for three months, but I could go back as soon as I felt up to it since I have a desk job. I went back half time at six weeks and full time just short of three months. I could have easily gone back sooner, but I actually had bigger pay checks on disability than working, so I stretched it out.

Your company can't legally go against your doctor's wishes, and you don't want to risk your transplant. I had side affects to deal with for a long time, but the kidney was in excellent cognition and I had no issues that put it at risk. Maybe you should talk to your doctor more about your concerns and find out why he thinks you aren't medically ready to go back to work.

Congratulations on your transplant!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:36:11 AM by Deanne » Logged

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:26:46 AM »

I didn't know that you would be away from work for so long - I assumed that without complications I'd be back within a month! 

After reading your post I started investigating it quickly and found this older thread with some good comments:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=14498.0
Seems like at that time 12 plus weeks was normal.

I guess this post of about six weeks is more inline with what I was expecting:
http://www.cpmc.org/advanced/kidney/patients/topics/kidney_eval_activities.html

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
iketchum

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »

I am six months post transplant and am now , finally, free of the mental fog of all the medication. I have applied for work and looks like I may be back to it shortly.
Southpaw

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »

Yes, i think the key is to do whatever possible to keep the kidney.  Dialysis was the absolute worst.  The techs and nurses would not listen to me and would constantly take too much fluids off, (CRAMPS!!)  I never want to go back to that.  So, i will take off the time even if I have no money.  Im just thankful I have a new kidney.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »

You could wear a mask at work.  Don't tell people why!  They will stay away from you.  Make sure you wipe your desk and phone (If you have a desk job) with bleach or other cleaning wipes EVERYDAY.  This is flu and cold season. 

MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »

Hello All!

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary, I was told that the first 6 months are the most crucial as far as avoiding germs/crowds of people(but everyone has there own opinion). I just recently got a job.. so far things are going well but there is always that fear of germs that you will always have to be mindful of. My advice would be to listen to your docs. Receiving a transplant is a special thing and it is always better to be safe then sorry!
But also... Live your life and have fun!! :2thumbsup;

Best of luck to everyone!

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 02:44:38 AM »

Hello All!

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary, I was told that the first 6 months are the most crucial as far as avoiding germs/crowds of people(but everyone has there own opinion). I just recently got a job.. so far things are going well but there is always that fear of germs that you will always have to be mindful of. My advice would be to listen to your docs. Receiving a transplant is a special thing and it is always better to be safe then sorry!
But also... Live your life and have fun!! :2thumbsup;

Best of luck to everyone!

:cheer: Congrats, hope you have many more happy, healthy years!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »

[/quote]

:cheer: Congrats, hope you have many more happy, healthy years!
[/quote]

Thanks Okarol, I'm hoping so too ! :beer1;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »

My husband went back to work just 3 weeks after TX. And that was working with preschool children. He stayed out of the classroom when any of the kids were sick and did not eat lunch with them, but he did fine. He is retired now, as of July, and is 3 1/2 years post TX.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »